IGNORED

Lee Johnson

51 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Hibernian have today appointed Brian McDermott (ex Reading, Leeds manager) as Director of Football, working with Johnson.

First remit some more clubs for the bag no doubt.....

If I was Lee I would be a little concerned about this appointment:

The following season, on 17 April 2012, McDermott guided Reading to Premier League promotion with a 1–0 win against Nottingham Forest after a superb run of 15 wins in 17 games. On 14 May 2012, McDermott was named as the League Managers Association Championship Manager of the Year at the League Managers Association Awards.[29]

7 minutes ago, headhunter said:

If I was Lee I would be a little concerned about this appointment:

The following season, on 17 April 2012, McDermott guided Reading to Premier League promotion with a 1–0 win against Nottingham Forest after a superb run of 15 wins in 17 games. On 14 May 2012, McDermott was named as the League Managers Association Championship Manager of the Year at the League Managers Association Awards.[29]

And has also failed in two subsequent jobs. And not been in management for 8 years. And, most pertinently, has been open about his struggles with alcoholism and how in some part football management had an impact on that - only getting sober after he had finished as a player or manager.

But yeah, he’s clearly angling for Johnsons job.

• Haha 6

In all honesty, if we had appointed a decent director of football whilst LJ was here, then Nige wouldn't be doing what he has had to for the past 2 years.

Mind you, not sure that LJ's ego would have liked it much.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Concerned as in seeing him as eyeing up his job?

Never good to have someone around who's achieved more than you in any role as it = threat unless your confident enough in your own abilities to make the most of that expertise.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Which is interesting, because when here he brought Macca in to assist Holden so he could spend more time in Recruitment.

In fairness, it is plausible as a manager in any organisation that you focus your time on the areas that need the most work. If Johnson backed Holden as a coach and that was under control, I can buy that he might have brought in Macca to work with him but is now finding it is not working out to have him run training sessions without Holden’s input.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Which is interesting, because when here he brought Macca in to assist Holden so he could spend more time in Recruitment.

To be fair, we had no recruitment team under Ashton did we? He may feel that McDermott knows the Scottish Leagues better, so he is better focussing his efforts elsewhere.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

In fairness, it is plausible as a manager in any organisation that you focus your time on the areas that need the most work. If Johnson backed Holden as a coach and that was under control, I can buy that he might have brought in Macca to work with him but is now finding it is not working out to have him run training sessions without Holden’s input.

I didn’t lead to improved results in recruitment did it?

10 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Concerned as in seeing him as eyeing up his job?

Not even that. Very good coach, really loved by the club, and LJ was really struggling at the time. 

Remember the reason for Wade leaving, was basically because he went into pro football from uni, he didn’t come through an academy so doesn’t know the process….!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

It really didn’t. But maybe McDermott’s involvement is a sign that  Johnson is finally getting more realistic - or the club are being more realistic for him - about where his strengths don’t lie.

Robert Redford Nodding GIF by Turner Classic Movies

Just watched a Scottish Premiership fan forum - one fan content creator representing each team with moderation by a few ex-pros / current TV analysts.

The questions posed to/by the Hibs fan were Johnson related and why Hibs are so streaky.

Answers…

• Despite Johnson scraping into the top six (it looks like fifth place will get into Europe this season) and technically meeting his first target, he still has a long way to go to prove himself
  • The appointment of a DOF is a very good thing as recruitment under Johnson has been extensive, erratic and "a disaster"
  • The medical team needs to be looked at because this season, a ridiculously high number of players have been out with muscle injuries (which has led to being streaky, as the team needs to be pieced together by whoever's fit, regardless of the position they play)

Sounds very familiar.

Slightly unrelated but still on the topic of young managers in Scottish football… ex Bournemouth / Burnley / Hibs player, Marvin Bartley - now in his first managers job at Queen of the South in League One - comes across very well in this interview, if you have time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MuqmgHVbVo 

I picked up some similarities with LJ on how he approaches management but is much more articulate and impressive in his presentation and I believe he'll make it work. To make an analogy, Marvin Bartley is Neil Godwin from the Swindon office, in comparison to Johnson's David Brent.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I think he would be a top level youth coach or youth team manager. Can't really blame him for wanting to continue in first team management but he has too many weaknesses that inhibit him; weaknesses that have been the same at multiple clubs. Never seen him win at mind games with other managers either 

On 05/05/2023 at 15:41, SydneyCity said:

Just watched a Scottish Premiership fan forum - one fan content creator representing each team with moderation by a few ex-pros / current TV analysts.

The questions posed to/by the Hibs fan were Johnson related and why Hibs are so streaky.

Answers…

• Despite Johnson scraping into the top six (it looks like fifth place will get into Europe this season) and technically meeting his first target, he still has a long way to go to prove himself
  • The appointment of a DOF is a very good thing as recruitment under Johnson has been extensive, erratic and "a disaster"
  • The medical team needs to be looked at because this season, a ridiculously high number of players have been out with muscle injuries (which has led to being streaky, as the team needs to be pieced together by whoever's fit, regardless of the position they play)

Sounds very familiar.

Slightly unrelated but still on the topic of young managers in Scottish football… ex Bournemouth / Burnley / Hibs player, Marvin Bartley - now in his first managers job at Queen of the South in League One - comes across very well in this interview, if you have time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MuqmgHVbVo 

I picked up some similarities with LJ on how he approaches management but is much more articulate and impressive in his presentation and I believe he'll make it work. To make an analogy, Marvin Bartley is Neil Godwin from the Swindon office, in comparison to Johnson's David Brent.

If you get a moment have a Google Of Marvin Bartley..........

Some of the best football I’ve witnessed in my time watching Bristol City . He’s a decent enough guy and a tidy manager . I’m a little surprised how well he’s done at Hibs , don’t know Scottish football that well so can’t say if they finished where they should’ve 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, shelts said:

Some of the best football I’ve witnessed in my time watching Bristol City . He’s a decent enough guy and a tidy manager . I’m a little surprised how well he’s done at Hibs , don’t know Scottish football that well so can’t say if they finished where they should’ve 

They finished 5th, so I really can’t see that as any sort of achievement.

They finished below Aberdeen & Hearts who are similar size & above a load of sides nowhere near as big as them.

An achievement would be above the sides who finished 3rd & 4th, whoever is in charge they have no chance of anything more.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1