IGNORED

Lee Johnson

17 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Fraud.

Absolutely right. LJ was a shit player and became a shit manager. It’s a real shame that we had to put up with his pre and post match waffle for so long…………….:disapointed2se:

The gulf in managerial quality between him, his father and Nige is truly vast. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Absolutely right. LJ was a shit player and became a shit manager. It’s a real shame that we had to put up with his pre and post match waffle for so long…………….:disapointed2se:

And yet...Pearson is yet to guide us to a higher finish than LJ's 8th place in 2018/19, nor to a higher finish than the 4th place achieved by Johnson Sr. in 2007/08, nor has he taken us to a cup semi-final. Miraculous really.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 1

• Admin
17 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

And yet...Pearson is yet to guide us to a higher finish than LJ's 8th place in 2018/19, nor to a higher finish than the 4th place achieved by Johnson Sr. in 2007/08, nor has he taken us to a cup semi-final. Miraculous really.

I would think that we would all agree if NP had taken over at the time LJ did with his financial backing etc he would have probably done as well

I certainly would not have had the faith in LJ to sort the financial mess NP has been restricted by over the past two seasons

• Like 13
  • Flames 2

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

I would think that we would all agree if NP had taken over at the time LJ did with his financial backing etc he would have probably done as well

I certainly would not have had the faith in LJ to sort the financial mess NP has been restricted by over the past two seasons

Your opinion, not sure I agree with your first line. No one knows what would have happened had we appointed Pearson when we did Johnson. If you assume all else would remain the same in your alt universe then Ashton is still there spending the cash and running up the wages/amortisation bill. Maybe we don't sign Abraham, maybe we sign someone else. 

I think Pearson is ok, I don't think the sun shines out of his arse like some seem to. I thought Johnson left when he should have done, maybe even a little later, but I don't think he's the worst manager we've ever had like some seem to. Far from it.

I just find it funny that people run a line that because Pearson uses different language in his press conferences and has (with a lot of credit to Richard Gould) guided us through a period of austerity, there's a "gulf" in managerial quality between him and the two Johnsons. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He was an average player, and an average manager.

You don't get to a Championship play off final from being a shit player or a shit manager. 

• Like 1

• Admin
7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Your opinion, not sure I agree with your first line. No one knows what would have happened had we appointed Pearson when we did Johnson. If you assume all else would remain the same in your alt universe then Ashton is still there spending the cash and running up the wages/amortisation bill. Maybe we don't sign Abraham, maybe we sign someone else. 

I think Pearson is ok, I don't think the sun shines out of his arse like some seem to. I thought Johnson left when he should have done, maybe even a little later, but I don't think he's the worst manager we've ever had like some seem to. Far from it.

I just find it funny that people run a line that because Pearson uses different language in his press conferences and has (with a lot of credit to Richard Gould) guided us through a period of austerity, there's a "gulf" in managerial quality between him and the two Johnsons. 

All fair points and well explained, but we could flip it that many think the sun shines out of LJ because of the cup run

What many people (not specifically aimed at you) is that people don't seem to appreciate the restrictions NP has had to work with, we haven't really had a pot to piss in for the past two years, to me THIS is the season we should judge NP, even LJ didn't click straight away

4 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

What used to upset a lot of people where I sat in those days, was LJ getting a game, and David noble not. LJ wasn't fit to lace David's boots

I don't blame LJ for the Hull defeat, but I am still bemused how he came on and Elliott was forced to right back, when we had a defensive player also on the bench

• Like 5

1 minute ago, phantom said:

the restrictions NP has had to work with, we haven't really had a pot to piss in for the past two years, to me THIS is the season we should judge NP

Sure, happy to agree with that. So, if he gets us to second place this season then I will absolutely agree that there's some evidence a gulf in managerial quality between him and the two Johnsons, no doubt about it if that happens. I appreciate that's not the only criteria when judging "managerial quality", but there it is.

• Like 1

Just now, Oh Louie louie said:

Should I remind you Phil brown was manager of hull, he sums up that perfectly.

Phil Brown got Hull promoted to Premier League. Again not a shit manager, but could be classed at average.

He also won manager of the month in the Premier League. If I ever won an award for being the best in the country at my job I'd be proud.

Look at some of the other frauds whose managed in the league who never achieved anything

Just now, Oh Louie louie said:

What used to upset a lot of people where I sat in those days, was LJ getting a game, and David noble not. LJ wasn't fit to lace David's boots

It's been done to death, but if he hadn't gotten injured against Watford we likely wouldn't have needed the play-offs in my opinion.  The breaking up of the LJ/Marv midfield partnership led to our worst run of results that season.  Without LJ in the team, Marv wasn't the same player.  We essentially lost two players with that injury.  LJ did the simple, unappreciated stuff that masked a lot of Marvs shortfalls, a fact that is often conveniently overlooked.

• Like 8

Just now, Steve Watts said:

It's been done to death, but if he hadn't gotten injured against Watford we likely wouldn't have needed the play-offs in my opinion.  The breaking up of the LJ/Marv midfield partnership led to our worst run of results that season.  Without LJ in the team, Marv wasn't the same player.  We essentially lost two players with that injury.  LJ did the simple, unappreciated stuff that masked a lot of Marvs shortfalls, a fact that is often conveniently overlooked.

Nah Marv masked lees downfalls, let's have it right Marv did the simple unappreciated stuff,

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I knew there was a reason I let you coach…

About to make the same point. LJ got injured against Watford. We were top at that point. In the next 7 games (before a dead rubber last day win), we lost 5, drew 1 and won 1.

I loved Marv. But to pretend that LJ wasn’t integral to a side that nearly went up (and we probably would have if he’d stayed fit) and therefore by definition couldn’t have been a shit championship player is one eyed, myopic bullshit.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Nah Marv masked lees downfalls, let's have it right Marv did the simple unappreciated stuff,

So the reason we, and Marv. entered our worst run of form when LJ was injured was..........?

Let's not romanticise things too much. Marv, as revered as he was and loved by all, couldn't pass a ball to save his life.

4 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Marv won the ball back when lee lost it, lets be honest here, to suggest it was the other way around is insane

And yet, when LJ wasn’t in the side, for that run at the end of the season, and by your definition Marv didn’t have to win the ball back from Lees mistakes, we lost 5 in 7.

Begs the question what Nick Carle was doing to keep Marv so occupied on other matters that we lost so many games in that run.

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

And yet, when LJ wasn’t in the side, for that run at the end of the season, and by your definition Marv didn’t have to win the ball back from Lees mistakes, we lost 5 in 7.

Begs the question what Nick Carle was doing to keep Marv so occupied on other matters that we lost so many games in that run.

My views on Marvin are based on two years, not five games in seven, what a weak argument,, I saw LJ play for the same amount of time, not even in the same leauge, was probably around then nick carle was being scouted?

11 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

My views on Marvin are based on two years, not five games in seven, what a weak argument,, I saw LJ play for the same amount of time, not even in the same leauge, was probably around then nick carle was being scouted?

It’s not a weak argument. I watched Marvin, I thought Marvin was great. What I can do, which you can’t, is understand that sometimes a player who isn’t popular can be integral to a team.

Just to confirm in that season:

First 38 games we got 67 points - 1.76ppg

Last 8 games we got 7 points - 0.88ppg

If for approximately 1/5 of a season you were without a certain player and you got 0.88 less ppg on average (essentially moving from promotion to relegation form), you’d suggest that player was pretty integral to the success of the team.

That it isn’t viewed that way is simply because his name is Lee Johnson.

The team that season was better - way better- than the sum of its parts (hence Byfield top scoring with 8). If you took any of them out, it may well have been the same drop off. But it was LJ, and the dropoff happened. That’s just basic facts.

Edited by Silvio Dante
The ppg on the first 38 was even better than initially calculated
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1