IGNORED

Lee Johnson

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s not a weak argument. I watched Marvin, I thought Marvin was great. What I can do, which you can’t, is understand that sometimes a player who isn’t popular can be integral to a team.

Just to confirm in that season:

First 38 games we got 66 points - 1.73ppg

Last 8 games we got 7 points - 0.88ppg

If for approximately 1/5 of a season you were without a certain player and you got 0.85 less ppg on average (essentially moving from promotion to relegation form), you’d suggest that player was pretty integral to the success of the team.

Who was who said that ‘you have lies, damn lies and statistics?’

27 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Marv won the ball back when lee lost it, lets be honest here, to suggest it was the other way around is insane

If marv would have been able to pass lou he never would have never graced the gate would have been prem material and yes him an lj worked as a pairing look at the results when one or the other wasn'playing.... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

What used to upset a lot of people where I sat in those days, was LJ getting a game, and David noble not. LJ wasn't fit to lace David's boots

LJ was quiet a bland player, if you like, whereas DN was a flair player, but they didn't have the same roles in the team.

Perhaps a very loose analogy, but as the great Eric Cantona said, every team needs a water carrier, and I saw LJ as our version of Didier Deschamps and, accordingly, integral to the way the team played, whereas DN was more a lesser version of Cantona himself.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

LJ was quiet a bland player, if you like, whereas DN was a flair player, but they didn't have the same roles in the team.

Lee could make a killer pass - but let's face it, only when he was in space, and unthreatened by an advancing opponent.

You don't have to be big, but you do have to be strong and confident. LJ had neither those attributes when we first played him, although TBF to the man, he had got a bit more robust towards the end of his spell on the pitch for us. 

28 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Lee could make a killer pass - but let's face it, only when he was in space, and unthreatened by an advancing opponent and the grass was the right height.

You don't have to be big, but you do have to be strong and confident. LJ had neither those attributes when we first played him, although TBF to the man, he had got a bit more robust towards the end of his spell on the pitch for us. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Perhaps a very loose analogy, but as the great Eric Cantona said, every team needs a water carrier, and I saw LJ as our version of Didier Deschamps and, accordingly, integral to the way the team played, whereas DN was more a lesser version of Cantona himself.

I would say that LJ's role was different to Deschamps', as he was a real DMF, IIRC. Although not quite to the extent of, say, Makelele, who was the ultimate DMF

3 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I would say that LJ's role was different to Deschamps', as he was a real DMF, IIRC. Although not quite to the extent of, say, Makelele, who was the ultimate DMF

Well, of course, not exactly the same player, but similar in that, whilst both were integral members of a successful team, neither were spectacular, just the cog that ensured the wheels kept on turning. 

17 hours ago, eardun said:

This made me chuckle - post match quote from LJ:
‘I don't want to give excuses because we just weren't good enough, but the altitude seemed a bit of a problem in terms of the lads getting a breath in.‘

Be surprised if they don’t turn it around in the second leg though. 

'I don't want to makes excuses, but here's an excuse anyway...'.....:facepalm:

To me Lee was what my dad used to refer to as " the available man". He was able to track the game and be there when there was no other alternative pass or to sweep up if a player was dispossessed. I seem to remember at the time of his injury that has been discussed, someone showed that our possession stats dropped by about 15% when he wasn't in the side.

Regarding the Hibs fans opinion of him, I followed their forum quite a lot last season and he has a lot of support in there, those who felt he has done a good job of redeveloping an aging squad of journeymen. Of course there were the same negative views after a defeat, as we have/had here, but it's not all against him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Nobody heard LJ talk about when the whole end was singing your dad's getting sacked in the morning when he was on loan at derby? The available man laughable 

What are you talking about, I have referenced my dad not LJ's? Try reading the post.

One thing about LJ is that he was able to adapt.  Most people remember him as being the link man, lots of short 5 yard passes.  However he only became that once were in the Championship.

The season before in League 1, Bristol Boy used to write match reports on here. One of his most frequent complaints was that LJ was always looking for the Hollywood, killer pass & it often meant we lost possession.

Whatever you think of him, it's to his credit that he learned he could get away with that at Lg1 but not the Championship & he severely reigned in his passing style.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Silv I suggest you remove steve watts as a coach, he's not big on football facts, and quickly resort's to trolling, just some advice 

"Not big on football facts" -  maybe you'd care to review and respond to Silvs post detailing the facts, and why you dispute the conclusion reached......?  You've remained strangely silent on that post....I wonder why.....?

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

People are making out LJ was a workhouse as a player, I'm amazed at this, lees role and David's role was to pass, they did play the same role actually,

I find it hard to believe both points, the one you are arguing against and the one you’re arguing for.

All three of Marv, LJ and Nobel were different types of players and asked to do different things.

As a three they were a part of a collective that got us into a great position to go up.

I wouldn’t put LJ’s injury as the root cause, but it did have an impact.  Just like Adebola being responsible for a difference in how we played.

But for anyone to say LJ was crap, or words of that nature is a failure to understand team dynamics and more than likely just blaming nepotism.

For me, the one thing I’d criticise LJ of is that when becoming a manager he never realised the important of that team dynamic and maybe snobbishly didn’t recognise what Marv did for his game and could’ve done for a City midfield in his teams….if that makes sense?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

One thing about LJ is that he was able to adapt.  Most people remember him as being the link man, lots of short 5 yard passes.  However he only became that once were in the Championship.

The season before in League 1, Bristol Boy used to write match reports on here. One of his most frequent complaints was that LJ was always looking for the Hollywood, killer pass & it often meant we lost possession.

Whatever you think of him, it's to his credit that he learned he could get away with that at Lg1 but not the Championship & he severely reigned in his passing style.

Hmmm.

image.png.ee1f5b3615c3d3a471e896bde6790c82.pngor  Thinline English Horse Reins | Non-Slip Rubber

But, certainly not image.jpeg.3b145ed2b4d240008af7487aaad4a09d.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Laugh my head off if he gets the bullet soon, some people here Will still be giving him the benefit of the doubt, guarantee it, every time this clown opens his mouth something more ridiculous comes out, how any of you respect him is beyond me 

Why do you care?