IGNORED

Lee Johnson

On 26/08/2023 at 20:53, Davefevs said:

My completely unprofessional view is that I think deep down he has an underlying insecurity about himself on two fronts.

1. That his playing career featured so many games under his dad, he never really broke the umbilical cord, so he will always have doubts about his own playing ability.  (Do not mistake this as being my view of him as a player)

2. That he won’t do as well as his Dad as a manager.  To quote him (slightly paraphrased) when asked by a fellow City fan a few years back “my dad is a lower league manager, all he’s good at is man-management”.  There is some irony in that.

Now as a manager / head-coach he is desperate to differentiate himself from the type of manager his dad was, focusing on let’s call them “modern techniques”, when perhaps a bit less focus on that, e.g. measuring grass length (slight sarcasm from me) and a bit more focus on his dad’s man-management, might be time better spent.  Re grass length, I’m sure all his dad worried about was making sure the corners had longer grass than the rest of the pitch (at Beck’s request), I doubt he gave a toss whether it was 50mm or 51mm per se.

I get the impression he’d rather win a small tactical battle (game within a game) with his opposite number than win the actual match.

It’s a bit of a shame really, because he has a wealth of knowledge and ideas.  My returning thought is he’d really benefit from going and being a number 2 to someone, e.g. in PL.  I don’t think he would though.

Ego

He keeps tripping over it.

• Like 1

His best (and possibly only) shot at 'redemption' and make it back into English Football is a successful stint in USA or Australia or similar.

He wasn't the worst manager of all time at any of his clubs, but the way he conducted himself shortened the patience of the fans.

A stint in a place with less 'fanaticism' probably takes a bit of the annoyance from his BS away.

He needs to change or his managerial career is done.

Or, he goes into more advanced  Property development and quits football altogether.

Mind you, he could do worse than become a TV pundit - at least he'd be entertaining.

We’ll always have that little 4-5 month spell in 2017-18 where we looked like world beaters. Genuinely the best football I’ve ever seen us play and oddly, it came during a time where we had lots of injuries and LJ was forced into playing a settled team. Once he had options, and was able to sign players, he started overcomplicating things and we fell to pieces. Then along came Ashton and his awful recruitment process.

There’s a good manager in there somewhere, his stubbornness means we’ll probably never see it though. 

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 7

33 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Or, he goes into more advanced  Property development and quits football altogether.

Mind you, he could do worse than become a TV pundit - at least he'd be entertaining.

I don’t think his ego would allow him to do either of these things, not just yet anyway. To do so would be an admission of defeat, i still think he feels he can be a successful manager in the Championship or higher which for me is the scary part.

Hibs may have someone "waiting in the wings" to take over as Manager. Whoever it is will not be expected to win his first match; that's this week away to Villa in Europe. Hibs lost the home leg 5-0, so the new guy can try out assorted players and formations in that game.

Personally I wouldn't have any objections to Johnson returning here, as a coach behind Pearson as a manager. I actually think Lee is a very good coach, he just over thinks things and makes things difficult, but he is intelligent and him and Pearson I reckon could work very well. Although, I doubt Lee would have any interest in being someone's number two. 

• Haha 3
  • Hmmm 1

According to "Football Home and Away" on Face book;

Stevenage boss Steve Evans is in the frame for the vacant manager’s job at Hibernian after Lee Johnson was sacked earlier today.

Over 500 comments, mainly be Stevenage fans who hope he doesn't go.

13 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

Personally I wouldn't have any objections to Johnson returning here, as a coach behind Pearson as a manager. I actually think Lee is a very good coach, he just over thinks things and makes things difficult, but he is intelligent and him and Pearson I reckon could work very well. Although, I doubt Lee would have any interest in being someone's number two. 

Why do you think LJ is a very good coach?

8 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Why do you think LJ is a very good coach?

He was trusted with  quality young players by top managers, this does not happen if you're a bad coach.

The way we played under Johnson at times was some of the best football I've seen down the gate and it felt like we were on the crux of something. The problem was, he was never happy with the tools he had and wanted to tinker too much. I actually think left to the training and coaching of players and getting them to adapt to tactics he would be very good as a coach, when he has to manage, he over thinks too much, moves away from basics etc, but as a coach this wouldn't be possible for him. 

I actually think he would be fit to run the under 23s, as young players progressed well under him. 

10 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

He was trusted with  quality young players by top managers, this does not happen if you're a bad coach.

The way we played under Johnson at times was some of the best football I've seen down the gate and it felt like we were on the crux of something. The problem was, he was never happy with the tools he had and wanted to tinker too much. I actually think left to the training and coaching of players and getting them to adapt to tactics he would be very good as a coach, when he has to manage, he over thinks too much, moves away from basics etc, but as a coach this wouldn't be possible for him. 

I actually think he would be fit to run the under 23s, as young players progressed well under him. 

The thing is our u23s seem to be running perfectly well currently. Won’t surprise me if he ends up at Charlton 

15 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

Didn't most of our young players end out on loan? Kelly being the exception

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

Bet both Lee and Nige would though.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

What players, tammy, who else, top clubs loan young players out to anyone who pays what they’re asking 

• Like 1

I cannot believe anybody watched a team into his fifth season as Head Coach, having absolutely no identity or style of play that would last longer than a week at a time, being bored to tears at Ashton Gate every fortnight and thought ‘yeah this team is well coached’.

If getting a few young players on loan from the Premier League makes you a good coach then that **** at Rovers must be the second Pep Guardiola.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, The Coach said:

Called it almost a year ago. Can see this happening now. He won’t get another football league job. 

With his Hearts connections Hibs was a ridiculous move like McLeish going to Villa or Benitez to Everton or Pulis coming to City can definitely see Yeovil but probably not yet ...he should go to League One and rebuild his career properly.

57 minutes ago, xerox6060 said:

With his Hearts connections Hibs was a ridiculous move like McLeish going to Villa or Benitez to Everton or Pulis coming to City can definitely see Yeovil but probably not yet ...he should go to League One and rebuild his career properly.

He played 4 games for Hearts, very different to Big Eck or Rafa who managed the other side of the City.

Pulis, cough spit!

I’m sure LJ will be back in a job pretty quick, it’s the nature of football.  He’ll probably surprise most of us at what level he gets a job at.  For me, he needs to find a team with bigger all money, and show what he can do with what he has.

• Like 1