IGNORED

Lee Johnson

I reckon Lee could get an unfashionable (no more Sunderlands) L1 job if he wanted - talk of dropping to National League is a bit OTT for me.

He's not shone anywhere or even done particularly well, but he's also managed for a decent amount of time in 3 leagues without any disasters or relegations. He's been steady, middling, average, whatever.

I said after her left here and after Sunderland he should go for a small but respectful L1 club, or big fish L2 club, work with some constraints, stop thinking about bloody Europe and drone training videos, and just bloody get them promoted. That'd do him and his CV the world of good.

• Like 9
  • Flames 2

9 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

Personally I wouldn't have any objections to Johnson returning here, as a coach behind Pearson as a manager. I actually think Lee is a very good coach, he just over thinks things and makes things difficult, but he is intelligent and him and Pearson I reckon could work very well. Although, I doubt Lee would have any interest in being someone's number two. 

Jesus Wept

Having said that , Although he’s an awful and multi failed manager , full of bull**** , and an overinflated ego

In some ways I’d like to see it

We could have an OTIB competition to see how many days , or hours it was before Johnson was seen stumbling around Failand village with his head firmly stuck up his backside , inserted by the top man Nige

It would be amusing , and suitable 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Haha 3
  • Hmmm 1

16 hours ago, petehinton said:

Deffo not L2 or conference… but highly doubt he will get offers from a L1 club he’d happily want to take. Would put money on going abroad. 

Well Ryan Kent (now in Turkey) is looking for someone to look after his  crocodile https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/ryan-kent-seeking-crocodile-sitter-30804089

Edited by E.G.Red
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, 22A said:

Hibs may have someone "waiting in the wings" to take over as Manager. Whoever it is will not be expected to win his first match; that's this week away to Villa in Europe. Hibs lost the home leg 5-0, so the new guy can try out assorted players and formations in that game.

Ironically - something LJ loves to do! 

23 hours ago, 22A said:

Hibs may have someone "waiting in the wings" to take over as Manager. Whoever it is will not be expected to win his first match; that's this week away to Villa in Europe. Hibs lost the home leg 5-0, so the new guy can try out assorted players and formations in that game.

Neil Lennon has declared an interest in returning to Hibs. 

Listening to a Scottish football podcast and Lee’s sacking came up. Nothing we couldn’t have guessed - bought a lot of players, no consistency in tactics, formations or results, plus a lot of Brentisms.

On the last point, one of them told a story from the Hibs dressing room…

Hibs were losing to an Ange Postecoglou Celtic team last season that was filled with Japanese stars. At half-time Lee gave his talk to the players…

Lee: If I was you, I’d be asking the Japanese players what they do.

Hibs player: If I was you, I’d be asking Ange what he does!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Oldham - Did well, left them in a much better place than he found them 

Barnsley - Mixed bag, struggled for a period but had turned a corner and had laid some strong foundations down by the time he left. 

City - Led us to our highest finish since 07 and a League cup semi final. Overstayed his welcome and things were past stale when he was eventually sacked. Spent large amounts of money but that was down to our strategy, no stick to beat him personally with, can be argued he always did better with a tight squad anyway.

Sunderland - Seemed to capitulate but was still sacked when challenging for autos. Also won a JPT and secured a play-off finish whilst there. At smaller clubs sacking him at the point Sunderland did would have been deemed crazy.

Hibs - Probably his weakest stint so far, but still a mixed bag. Ups and downs, always trying to win over the fan base much like his previous two jobs. On the balance of things his dismissal was fair.

Looking the facts of his CV I think it would be seen as a sensible appointment for a club like Fleetwood. It could still take off for him somewhere but he will need to achieve something above expectation soon. Great chance to do that here. There are managers on the merry go round with far worse CV’s than that. He has no relegations, but the way people speak about him you’d think he does. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Whatever your view on him going from Sunderland to Fleetwood in just over 18 months isn’t a great career trajectory.

Pearson went from Premier League Watford to struggling Championship club Bristol City within 7 months. 

One point to note - Fleetwood probably have a bigger wage budget than Hibs. Perspective 

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Pearson went from Premier League Watford to struggling Championship club Bristol City within 7 months. 

One point to note - Fleetwood probably have a bigger wage budget than Hibs. Perspective 

Fleetwood 2021 £6.2m - they now report as a small business so don’t quote wages anymore

Hibs 2022 £8.2m

(from Companies House)

No idea what the playing budgets might be though.

Lots of bitterness in here from fans about LJ which I never fully understand.

Yes he should of done more with backing he got but so should of alot of people at that time. He was always going be up against it with the nepotism (job for the mates) working with slimy MA. His own LJ ism's and succeeding fan popular Cotterill. I never thought he didn't care during his time and always gave his best but didn't work out.

He must show something in the footballing realm to keep getting jobs. Hope it works out for him at Fleetwood!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BUTOR said:

Oldham - Did well, left them in a much better place than he found them 

Barnsley - Mixed bag, struggled for a period but had turned a corner and had laid some strong foundations down by the time he left. 

City - Led us to our highest finish since 07 and a League cup semi final. Overstayed his welcome and things were past stale when he was eventually sacked. Spent large amounts of money but that was down to our strategy, no stick to beat him personally with, can be argued he always did better with a tight squad anyway.

Sunderland - Seemed to capitulate but was still sacked when challenging for autos. Also won a JPT and secured a play-off finish whilst there. At smaller clubs sacking him at the point Sunderland did would have been deemed crazy.

Hibs - Probably his weakest stint so far, but still a mixed bag. Ups and downs, always trying to win over the fan base much like his previous two jobs. On the balance of things his dismissal was fair.

Looking the facts of his CV I think it would be seen as a sensible appointment for a club like Fleetwood. It could still take off for him somewhere but he will need to achieve something above expectation soon. Great chance to do that here. There are managers on the merry go round with far worse CV’s than that. He has no relegations, but the way people speak about him you’d think he does. 

No promotions either in over 10 years! Can't think of many managers who have not managed a promotion in such a period but are still in a job? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

I thought the financial situation at Fleetwood had markedly changed since their former owner went to prison?

In terms of size of football club I’d argue that the disparity between Sunderland & Fleetwood & us & Watford was considerably different.

• Like 4