IGNORED

Lee Johnson

What I find amusing about the LJ debate is people seem to rate him based on non-footballing reasons.  He's a decent enough couch just with us he had run his course, and his win rates as a manager are good, I tend to agree with others that he overcomplicates the game, but all in all I think we have had worse managers and I wouldn't be objected to him covering managerial gaps should he be available, not sure I'd rehire him though. he had us purring the season he converted bobby reid over, just a shame he had to keep selling players.

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I’m never quite sure why people make fun of measuring the grass. Clearly it’s an important factor in playing passes along the ground. We also water the pitch just before every kick off, presumably to ensure the ball zips over the surface. Nobody jokes about that. It’s known that some hoofball clubs leave the grass long in certain areas, isn’t it? And I believe Arsene Wenger used to go on about it too.

People make fun of it because it’s bullshit, the players would be able to tell how the pitch is playing, fast or slow just by warming up on it , typical LJ bollucks , trying to be clever.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I’m never quite sure why people make fun of measuring the grass. Clearly it’s an important factor in playing passes along the ground. We also water the pitch just before every kick off, presumably to ensure the ball zips over the surface. Nobody jokes about that. It’s known that some hoofball clubs leave the grass long in certain areas, isn’t it? And I believe Arsene Wenger used to go on about it too.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

17 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

People make fun of it because it’s bullshit, the players would be able to tell how the pitch is playing, fast or slow just by warming up on it , typical LJ bollucks , trying to be clever.

Yep, you don’t need a micrometer, you just need to hit two or three passes pre-game to know how it’ll play.

And some surfaces will be patchy anyway so what’s the point.

Measuring the length of the grass is the equivalent to telling a load of eastern-bloc swimming coaches in the 1970s that Mark Spitz’s success was down to his moustache and the reduced drag-effect it had on him.  Wow.  Revolutionary.  At the next international competition all his opponents turned up with moustaches, only for the coach to tell them he’d made it up!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Yep, you don’t need a micrometer, you just need to hit two or three passes pre-game to know how it’ll play.

And some surfaces will be patchy anyway so what’s the point.

Measuring the length of the grass is the equivalent to telling a load of eastern-bloc swimming coaches in the 1970s that Mark Spitz’s success was down to his moustache and the reduced drag-effect it had on him.  Wow.  Revolutionary.  At the next international competition all his opponents turned up with moustaches, only for the coach to tell them he’d made it up!

Well they better had measure the grass, considering there are rules about how long it should be. 

5 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Well they better had measure the grass, considering there are rules about how long it should be. 

= groundsman

= officials

do you think LJ went into the dressing room and said “I’ve measured the grass it’s 23mm, rather than 22mm today, make sure you hit the passes a bit firmer”?

he probably did, and they probably laughed / retorted “yeah we know that, I just hit a few passes in the warm-up”.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Duncan Goodhew sparked a trend for swimming caps after Olympic Gold! ?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Contrary to popular belief I don’t hate Lee Johnson. I don’t rate him particularly as a coach, but I’ve nothing against him personally. 

What genuinely angers me is Lansdown’s nepotism. He had proven managers who deserved, and currently deserve the financial backing that LJ had, much more so than LJ did. 

Lansdown deserves every single pound of the losses that MA and LJ caused us. He thought he could allow LJ to buy success. He backed the wrong horse. 

I totally agree with you.

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

do you think LJ went into the dressing room and said “I’ve measured the grass it’s 23mm, rather than 22mm today, make sure you hit the passes a bit firmer”?

Now now Dave. ?
I’m sure it’s more to do with making the correct boot / stud choice. 
We often see players slipping in the first half of games because they had the wrong length of stud, and then change their boots/studs at half time. 
I don’t see why people mock this. It’s just a case of making sure the small details are finessed. It’s really no big deal. 

When you and I played we’d either choose studs or moulds. Nowadays they select stud length too. So it is actually a factor - albeit a minor one. But these are the 1 percenters 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

Now now Dave. ?
We often see players slipping in the first half of games because they had the wrong length of stud, and then change their boots/studs at half time. 
I don’t see why people mock this. It’s just a case of making sure the small details are finessed. It’s really no big deal. 

When you and I played we’d either choose studs or moulds. Nowadays they select stud length too. So it is actually a factor - albeit a minor one. But these are the 1 percenters 

Yeah the 1 percenters that’s helped him achieve nothing 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

Now now Dave. ?

You don’t need a manager to tell you what studs to put in , the players have a walk on the pitch pre game, 

53 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

With Jamie in tow, will they change their name to Fleetwood. . . Mac  ?

Well, those are the rumours,

Two puns in one post?! Legend!

FWIW I think Fleetwood is probably a good fit for him and his level. I still think he will end up at Yeovil at some point. 

At least him going to Fleetwood reduces the risk of SL appointing him here! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So LJ is to be named Fleetwood manager. Don't like to say I told you so but I knew he'd be back in management soon. Might have been second choice but apparently again impressed on interview. As I said earlier in this thread he might not be able to walk the walk but he can definitely talk the talk. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JAWS said:

No promotions either in over 10 years! Can't think of many managers who have not managed a promotion in such a period but are still in a job? 

True, having got as far as getting an interview if LJ has persuaded Fleetwood to appoint him it will be his 6th managerial position in 10 years, with frankly very little to show for it, and now 3 consecutive sackings.

Though he evidently shines at interviews he can no longer claim to be particularly young, or indeed innovative, and you'd imagine the time is nearing when his long record of non achievement becomes more of an issue for him to explain.

Having said that, as long as he doesn't piss off the players and fans too much it's quite possible he'll do an ok job for Fleetwood in L1, which many of us have believed all along is probably his top level.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

So LJ is to be named Fleetwood manager. Don't like to say I told you so but I knew he'd be back in management soon. Might have been second choice but apparently again impressed on interview. As I said earlier in this thread he might not be able to walk the walk but he can definitely talk the talk. 

3rd choice after Robinson and Wild apparently.

27 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

3rd choice after Robinson and Wild apparently.

If you want a job, then get a job, do you really care if others have been interviewed before you ?

He is intelligent, obviously interviews well has great ideas. The thing is no one knows he can't put them into practice until they employ him , oops , too late. 

Seriously, he could be a good manager if he could focus all his ideas and study into a solid plan. 
Could have done with a spell under Nige or even Warnock , I really think it would have done him good.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Now now Dave. ?

But that’s to do with the firmness of the ground underneath not the grass length.  

1 hour ago, Glen hump said:

You don’t need a manager to tell you what studs to put in , the players have a walk on the pitch pre game, 

Agree, if you haven’t sussed that out in your warm-up a manager telling you it’s x or y millimetres isn’t gonna help.

5 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

The amount of players who slip over and change boots? I wouldn't be so sure...

But that’s not down the grass length, that’s more to them hoping to get away with their boot / stud of preference.  I would’ve worn moulds all year around, the grass length made no difference, but the pitch underneath did, hence why I wore studs most of the season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

But that’s to do with the firmness of the ground underneath not the grass length.  

Agree, if you haven’t sussed that out in your warm-up a manager telling you it’s x or y millimetres isn’t gonna help.

But that’s not down the grass length, that’s more to them hoping to get away with their boot / stud of preference.  I would’ve worn moulds all year around, the grass length made no difference, but the pitch underneath did, hence why I wore studs most of the season.

Was more the difference of stud than anything, regardless of whether its blades/moulds/studs you still see players regularly changing, regardless of whether its how solid the surface is the player still gets it wrong.

11 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Was more the difference of stud than anything, regardless of whether its blades/moulds/studs you still see players regularly changing, regardless of whether its how solid the surface is the player still gets it wrong.

Of course, but they don’t go “sorry, how many mm was the grass again, boss?” do they? 

They are usually caught out by a watered pitch drying out during their warm up and it getting re-watered whilst they’re back in the dressing room.