IGNORED

The next few weeks

22A

OK, no footy in the upper two divisions because of the World Cup.

Can clubs arrange friendlies though?

These would maintain fan's interest, enable different players, tactics and formations to be tried and most importantly, keep first teamers match fit.

3 minutes ago, 22A said:

OK, no footy in the upper two divisions because of the World Cup.

Can clubs arrange friendlies though?

These would maintain fan's interest, enable different players, tactics and formations to be tried and most importantly, keep first teamers match fit.

Yes, I believe that is our intention at some point.  Expect it to be behind closed doors though!

When the PNE league match was called off there was speculation about when we could fit in the fixture.  We obviously managed to squeeze it in quite quickly. But I see Sunderland and Millwall are playing theirs on 3rd Dec, a week before the official re+start.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, I believe that is our intention at some point.  Expect it to be behind closed doors though!

When the PNE league match was called off there was speculation about when we could fit in the fixture.  We obviously managed to squeeze it in quite quickly. But I see Sunderland and Millwall are playing theirs on 3rd Dec, a week before the official re+start.

I think there are 11 teams in the Championship that don’t have any players going to Qatar. 
And of the other 13 teams, most only have 1 missing (such as ourselves). 
For Millwall and Sunderland, Millwall aren’t missing anyone, whilst Sunderland are without 2, Bailey Wright and Jewison Bennette (who’s hardly played). 
I guess Sunderland were happy to play the game without Bailey rather than having a further stack of games further down the line. 

Given most teams are missing either 1 or none, it does make it a tad more baffling as to why they’ve decided to pause our division. Could easily have continued. 
I reckon some teams possibly miss as many during the AFCON and we don’t pause for that. 

• Like 6

No need to pause our division, if a club lost maybe 2 or more players to the World Cup then they could have had their fixtures postponed but to stop all games seems a bit ott although it may  work in our favour as we will hopefully get some injured players back for the restart, strange times especially as nobody seems the slightest bit interested in the WC hopefully that will change by next Monday.??????????????

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, weepywall said:

No need to pause our division, if a club lost maybe 2 or more players to the World Cup then they could have had their fixtures postponed but to stop all games seems a bit ott although it may  work in our favour as we will hopefully get some injured players back for the restart, strange times especially as nobody seems the slightest bit interested in the WC hopefully that will change by next Monday.??????????????

There`s no reason why it couldn`t be treated like it used to be (and still is in the lower divisions) when internationals were on. If you had a certain number of players called up, you could apply to have your game called off.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think there are 11 teams in the Championship that don’t have any players going to Qatar. 
For Millwall and Sunderland, Millwall aren’t missing anyone, whilst Sunderland are without 2, Bailey Wright and Jewison Bennette (who’s hardly played). 
I guess Sunderland were happy to play the game without Bailey rather than having a further stack of games further down the line. 

Given most teams are missing either 1 or none, it does make it a tad more baffling as to why they’ve decided to pause our division. Could easily have continued. 
I reckon some teams possibly miss as many during the AFCON and we don’t pause for that. 

Agree.

After Bailey’s air shot last Friday…I’m not surprised ?

Re AFCON that’s the risk you take when signing African players, and as you say there aren’t many Champ clubs signing WC Internationals.

13 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Agree.

18 minutes ago, weepywall said:

You`re right. With the exception of the S*n (unsurprisingly) I`ve  hardly seen anything in the press or the media generally. Probably change from this weekend though.

During the 1994 World Cup, none of the Home Nations qualified and neither did France.

The idea was suggested we play a 5 Nations tournament, but FIFA reminded us all that no other international competition was allowed when the World Cup was on.

This seemingly does not apply to club sides. Several Prem teams are going abroad for "Warm weather training where they'll play other teams". Liverpool & Arsenal are going abroad during the WC to play other teams in a hastily arranged Cup competition.

On 14/11/2022 at 18:14, Harry said:

Perhaps times have changed then, as they stopped running the 2nd tier during international breaks back in 2004-05 presumably as games were often off due to the 3 international call up rule.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I wonder if Qatar is the beginning of the end for international football tournaments.

The money from TV deals in the Premier league probably dwarfs the World Cup and in my mind FIFA's shot themselves in the foot with Qatar. So what is the point. I'd rather watch City than England any day of the week.

I will now rush to get my tin hat and no doubt that England will win the last ever FIFA world cup.

15 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

I wonder if Qatar is the beginning of the end for international football tournaments.

The money from TV deals in the Premier league probably dwarfs the World Cup and in my mind FIFA's shot themselves in the foot with Qatar. So what is the point. I'd rather watch City than England any day of the week.

I will now rush to get my tin hat and no doubt that England will win the last ever FIFA world cup.

Yes of course, because the PL dictates the entire International landscape- a lot more International sides, you think the PL alone will supersede all that? 200 + other nations including some quite big football ones "Oh, PL/British fans are bored of it- good innings but let's call it a day".

That said the location, the timing of this one all wrong.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous