IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

12 minutes ago, downendcity said:

In fairness, apart from Sir Alf, no England manager has won anything either and GS ,with a WC semi and a Euro final to his name, has a better tournament record than all bar Sir Alf. 

That's true, however most England manager's have had a pedigree of winning something or having some sort of achievement.

That said good result today, playing attack minded football. My issue is if he changes to some half brained 5 at the back when he comes up against a decent team and coach.

45 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Yep. Was thinking about we could be certain of first place after two rounds of matches. Just getting greedy!

Fair.

40 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

1st or 2nd depends on who we might get in the next round doesnt it?

Indeed, from group A. Nothing to fear from what I've seen.

51 minutes ago, RedHienz said:

That's true, however most England manager's have had a pedigree of winning something or having some sort of achievement.

That said good result today, playing attack minded football. My issue is if he changes to some half brained 5 at the back when he comes up against a decent team and coach.

Plenty of successful club managers have achieved nothing close to Southgate's tournament record.

I've read plenty of times that international manager's miss the day to day involvement of club management. Perhaps Southgate is more suited to international management and even more so tournament football.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

So the Netherlands v Senegal game at Al Thumama Stadium is on BBC with an attendance of 41,721, yet the capacity is 40,000.... and lots of photos of empty seats 

Pinching what someone said on twitter…they’ve added the migrant workers that died building the stadium onto the attendance! ??

43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Pinching what someone said on twitter…they’ve added the migrant workers that died building the stadium onto the attendance! ??

I didn't know the actual number, so looked it up and was shocked, I knew it was a lot but had never seen a number attached to it. That's something that needs to be said louder

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lrrr said:

So the Netherlands v Senegal game at Al Thumama Stadium is on BBC with an attendance of 41,721, yet the capacity is 40,000.... and lots of photos of empty seats 

Apparently:

”capacity figure is the reference capacity that meets the FIFA requirements. The final capacity during event mode is higher (hence the mismatch)”

No, makes no sense to me either 

15 hours ago, Robbored said:

Southgate has achieved nothing in the managerial game. He’s a FA man who won’t rock the boat and nowhere near a proper manager.

Sometimes what managers achieve are beyond the simple X number of trophies / promotions and Y win %

I believe we'd agree that Pearson is doing a decent job at City despite a very poor win percentage and looking at the table right now, not much tangible improvement

What Pearson has done is bring through plenty of youth, given us a team we can be proud of watching (more often than not, despite some poor performances) and massively reduced our wage bill whilst keeping us somewhat competitive in this league.

Southgate has turned a very devisive England camp into one of unity, one that the players look forward to going to. He's given us a team to be proud of, he's avoided any off-pitch controversy and where his players have been involved in trouble I feel he's handled it very well.

A World Cup semi final is more than I'd seen in my lifetime prior, a Euro final even more so. Given the previous years saw us either not qualify, get thumped by Germany, crash out of the group stages or be embarrased by Iceland.

He's been there and seen failure at the highest level, he's used that to help manage his players and mentor them.

There was some serious apathy about the England side after Euro 2016, Southgate has turned that around

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Same for the England game wasn't it? 45,344 in a stadium that according to the official world cup site holds 40,000

Infact, same for every game so far apparently ?

38 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

There was some serious apathy about the England side after Euro 2016, Southgate has turned that around

Absolutely. Id kinda given up at that point - he has turned England into contenders and as you say avoided any issues away from the game. Im not sure what defines being a "proper" manager, but GS has been good for England. Yes there have been times when he might have got it wrong, but that applies to every manager. He has got significantly more things right, than wrong and his CV as a club manager is irrelevant.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Southgate has turned a very devisive England camp into one of unity, one that the players look forward to going to. He's given us a team to be proud of, he's avoided any off-pitch controversy and where his players have been involved in trouble I feel he's handled it very well.

Yes, much like Nigel he has transformed the culture. Rio Ferdinand confirmed your point about a divided camp yesterday and that players would fake injury to avoid playing for England.

People seem to have forgotten how bad things were in the past.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Watching the news this morning you could be forgiven for thinking that Wales had thrashed USA and that England never played at all.

Bale does nothing for 80 minutes but scores a penalty therefore he's a genius ©John Hartson.

It's great that Wales are at a World Cup and all that but the coverage is so over the top.

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Apparently:

”capacity figure is the reference capacity that meets the FIFA requirements. The final capacity during event mode is higher (hence the mismatch)”

No, makes no sense to me either 

I saw that too, doesn’t make sense….does that mean they’ve broken FIFA rules then in allowing more to attend?

Lovely story at the end though with the lad Finlay who has Cerebral Palsy. He met Grealish about a month ago and asked him to do a special little celebration next time he scored, which happened to be yesterday. 

Grealish needs commending for remembering his promise in the heat of the moment.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Just to keep everyone updated

Today....Infantino .......feels Colombian....... South American ....... binary neutral.....and a victim of the sex trade ....

??

He won’t stoop as low as to say “today I feel like a Qatari goalkeeper” though.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Harry said:

4 games out of the 5 so far have had penalties. 
They used to be an uncommon occurrence (still are for Bristol City), but now 80% of the matches have had a penalty. 

Tbh as far as the analysis goes, Championship as a League seems to be and trending in the direction of, one of the lower ones for average penalties awarded per game.

Perhaps VAR is the missing ingredient but even taking our chart busting numbers out of it, there have been less awarded for a few years now. Think the PL etc have more per game on average.