IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

8 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Regarding the terrifying sanction for wearing Rainbow armbands, I have been told that someone has posted on social media

"Imagine if Nelson Mandela or Martin Luther King had been threatened with a yellow card"

Can't remember what World Cup they both played at?

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

So do we support the Saudi's now? Can't keep up

I think it that you can enjoy, praise, and even revel in an on-pitch spectacle, and support eleven (plus subs and coaches) individual humans. You can simultaneously criticise the regime or nation that they represent, if you choose to.

I don't think doing that makes you a hypocrite at all.

It's a similar discussion to separating art and artist. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think it that you can enjoy, praise, and even revel in an on-pitch spectacle, and support eleven (plus subs and coaches) individual humans. You can simultaneously criticise the regime or nation that they represent, if you choose to.

I don't think doing that makes you a hypocrite at all.

It's a similar discussion to separating art and artist. 

The difference being large volumes of cash separate art from artist,  the same volumes of cash that appear to prevent the separation of players and regime.

18 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Regarding the terrifying sanction for wearing Rainbow armbands, I have been told that someone has posted on social media

"Imagine if Nelson Mandela or Martin Luther King had been threatened with a yellow card"

Social media for you, mate. The plight of their people was Mandela and MLK's reason for getting up in the morning, their primary focus. It's not the primary focus of Harry Kane, he's a footballer, that's what gets him up in the morning. He's doing his, or a, bit, but he's a footballer, first and foremost. Just like you're a hod carrier, and I'm a milkman, and that's what pays the bills. And gets us up in the morning. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

The difference being large volumes of cash separate art from artist,  the same volumes of cash that appear to prevent the separation of players and regime.

Sorry...........do not get it? Could possibly explain exactly what u mean?   Large volumes of cash separate art from artist?

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

When I first visited The Kingdom I was offered glass after glass of 'Saudi Champagne' which I declined not wanting to break the local laws. It took a few days before I realised the champagne shaped bottles contained nothing more than an ultra fizzy, light coloured apple juice.

Cider, then?

25 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Sorry...........do not get it? Could possibly explain exactly what u mean?   Large volumes of cash separate art from artist?

21 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Ask Damian Hurst, he'll explain.

image.thumb.png.abf9c777071de3d7706b6d0b6d616b65.png

In Hurst's case, the artist seems able to separate large amounts of cash from the buyer!

5 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Hmmmmm.  Anyone can be glib?.  I never appreciate people who make vague references, and then back it up empty allusions.

Ok.

Artists love to portray themselves as free-thinking, open-minded creatives.

Whilst some might be, for most its a career choice. Whether through patronage of church, nobility or institution most works were (and are) created for a purpose. That purpose is to transfer from the mind and intellectual property of the artist to the person who now owns it. That causing the separation? Invariably money, but sometimes power and influence. Very few creatives make art for themselves only. If they do we'll never hear of them. Even cited artists who supposedly never sold their works during their lifetime had astute commercial guidance exploiting their estate, else they cashed a good living bartering their works for favours supplied.

So yes, that's what separates art from artist.