IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

Don't say this often, good work from VAR.

Well actually the Ref. Not sure what they called him over for, but I doubt it was the foul. It was obvious there was a foul before the handball shout. I have a feeling they wanted a Pen and the Ref decided no. 

• Like 2

Just now, 1960maaan said:

Don't say this often, good work from VAR.

Well actually the Ref. Not sure what they called him over for, but I doubt it was the foul. It was obvious there was a foul before the handball shout. I have a feeling they wanted a Pen and the Ref decided no. 

That's him out of the betting syndicate then.

• Haha 1

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Relentless isn't it.

I've just turned over to a House in the Country , I hate the chat before and after games. They are debating a Penalty shout that was turned down because there was a foul before. The Ref gave the foul, the keeper took the free kick and they are talking about it no being clear and obvious after hitting both hands. 

I shall hide until just after the next kick off.

2 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Whilst the pratt Hartson's eyes only for the potential handball the ref (and the rest of us,) spots the blatant push in the back by the Danish 7 on the near post marker that preceded the incident.

Pougatch and Walton also missed this. The ref gave a free kick to Tunisia as a result, didn’t he?!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Ok.

Artists love to portray themselves as free-thinking, open-minded creatives.

Whilst some might be, for most its a career choice. Whether through patronage of church, nobility or institution most works were (and are) created for a purpose. That purpose is to transfer from the mind and intellectual property of the artist to the person who now owns it. That causing the separation? Invariably money, but sometimes power and influence. Very few creatives make art for themselves only. If they do we'll never hear of them. Even cited artists who supposedly never sold their works during their lifetime had astute commercial guidance exploiting their estate, else they cashed a good living bartering their works for favours supplied.

So yes, that's what separates art from artist.

I started to make a measured and informative reply........but, then,  having read your reply three times, i just don't think it deserves it?  Your point of view is pseudo intellectual twaddle, that makes no sense.  i suggest you stick to football in future.   " Very few creatives make art for themselves only, if they do we'll never hear of them"   "Even cited artists who supposedly never sold their works during their lifetimes had astute commercial guidance exploiting their estate"   Stop reading comics and read some decent literature?  ...your a joke IMHO.

• Like 1

I've just had an amazingly unoriginal idea about timekeeping, and apologies if it's already been suggested.

Why don't they just stop the clock for substitutions, and any long stoppages (to be determined by 'experts')

That would do away with added time, and should provide fairness and clarity.

It works well in Rugy Union (amongst others), which is refereed far better. 

We'll talk about Sin Bins later.

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

I've just had an amazing unoriginal idea about timekeeping, and apologies if it's already been suggested.

Why don't they just stop the clock for substitutions, and any long stoppages (to be determined by 'experts')

That would do away with added time, and should provide fairness.

How would they know a stoppage is gonna be a long stoppage.  What if they stopped the clock and it turned out to be a short stoppage.

The stopping the clock idea has been suggested lots of times in various guises.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

How would they know a stoppage is gonna be a long stoppage.  What if they stopped the clock and it turned out to be a short stoppage.

The stopping the clock idea has been suggested lots of times in various guises.

Whenever a physio is called onto the pitch.

What about Sin Bins then?

18 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Pougatch and Walton also missed this. The ref gave a free kick to Tunisia as a result, didn’t he?!

I didn't think that was what VAR was for? Shouldn't VAR confirm that it wasn't handball and continue with the corner? 

29 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Not sure I want to see their parts really.

Good point for Tunisia.

27 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Exactly Tone. There's no mugs at the World Cup.

It just seems to me that in recent years they have had high quality players like Erikson, Hjolberg etc, but they never seem to make the most of that talent.

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

I've just turned over to a House in the Country , I hate the chat before and after games. They are debating a Penalty shout that was turned down because there was a foul before. The Ref gave the foul, the keeper took the free kick and they are talking about it no being clear and obvious after hitting both hands. 

I shall hide until just after the next kick off.

I note the Danish female pundit (who she?) wasn't required for the post game analysis, presumably as she had nothing more to add than pre-match, in itself nothing. And before the pile on of my being accused misogynistic, let me explain. 

I've always considered pundits comments in context of who the pundit is, the 'what might they know about what they're saying' question? Nothing to do with sex or race, I've thought plenty of pundits buffoons for talking out their backsides over matters at which they were far from accomplished. So the disadvantage of all the 'who they' that BBC and ITV (in particular) appear to think de rigueur is there's nil context as to how to evaluate them? Not only have we have little idea who they are, we've no idea of what they've ever done nor why they're supposedly qualified to comment, which invariably they don't. If described as 'token gestures' one might rightly be accused of being offensive, problem being I haven't yet seen or heard one make a contribution that's had me thinking, good point, I hadn't considered that. Moreover, all appear not to have been to the school of TV Journalism where lesson one is always - don't describe that what viewers are readily able to see for themselves (the blindingly obvious.) Come in at a tangent and add something of which viewers might not be aware.  Sticking them between quality, experienced and opinionated ex-pros simply doesn't work. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I started to make a measured and informative reply........but, then,  having read your reply three times, i just don't think it deserves it?  Your point of view is pseudo intellectual twaddle, that makes no sense.  i suggest you stick to football in future.   " Very few creatives make art for themselves only, if they do we'll never hear of them"   "Even cited artists who supposedly never sold their works during their lifetimes had astute commercial guidance exploiting their estate"   Stop reading comics and read some decent literature?  ...your a joke IMHO.

Ok, I'll not bother recounting how I lived 3 doors from Damien & 'the chancers' before they devised The Freeze, their warehouse shows and fame and glory. Art had sod all to do with it.

49 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Denmark never seem to add up to the sum of their parts do they?

Mostly no.

I will say that I was expecting more from them tbh.

1) Euro 2021- Impressive in reaching the semi finals- and they could score goals, indeed did score quite frequently. Even in defeat they gave Belgium a proper run around for good chunks of that game- doing it for Eriksen may have been a factor.

2) Qualified strongly. Often a decent sign.

3) Done well in some not so easy Nations League groups across the last 2 editions.

Yeah credit to Tunisia but I was expecting more from Denmark.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 1