IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

17 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Ah, an interesting choice of artists. Michaelangelo & Delacroix both technically superb, attracted patronage of state and church. They painted pretty much to order & profited well from it. As did Vermeer in his own less-profitable way, albeit very slowly and only to Delft's local patrons. Enough to provide for him and his family and his failed profession as art dealer. Tragically, he never realised he was far superior to the artists he unsuccessfully promoted. They three lived by selling their ideas (output) for money. 

And then there's the odd case of Van Gogh who painted prolifically, mostly third rate and inconsequential crap. The story that he never sold a painting whilst alive is just that, a story expertly concocted by the promotional marketing genius that was his sister-in-law. Jo and Theo financed him throughout his life, in return for his works. In possibly the first exploitation if its type Jo spotted there's no better time to sell than when an artist is dead and through careful placement and very limited release of his works created the Van Gogh everybody thinks they know today, but who is largely myth. He, too, was separated from his ideas by his brother's money.

Never more succinctly put than by Graham Gouldman - 'Art for art sake, money for God's sake'.

Yep!..........we can all access Google? ?

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

48 teams in 2026, that presumably will either mean. 6 week tournament or multiple games being shown at the same time. An expensive one too, when the daily rate compensation for players is factored in.

Absolutely **** idea

As is 24 teams at the Euros and top three go through

32 for World Cup and 16 for Euros was perfect 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's now a legal case being arbitrated by CAS, and that can be discussed without dipping into the politics of the armband itself. I therefore think it is highly relevant to football matters and so see no need to restrict it to the Politics forum.

I guess the FA and FAW (and the Dutch and other FAs) have not suffered similar commercial consequences. No sponsors have left them (so far as I know) and so no money has been lost. They don't need to respond to the CAS case being brought by the DFB as they aren't party to it. Quite sensible for them to keep quiet.

As for a WC bid - we withdrew from 2030 IIRC. I thought we were concentrating on Euro 2028 instead?

I know I made a tounge in cheek comment in the other thread but on a proper note, I don't see what grounds they have. 

Fifa never authorised it. Had they done and backtracked then possibly, but even so, they can still wear it, just take a yellow card for the player wearing it. It's not an outright ban. 

Now if the German fa promised that they would wear in exchange for money / advertising etc then that's their problem. Not fifas. 

29 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Yep!..........we can all access Google? ?

National Gallery Member and lucky enough to have visited most major collections around the globe. I can recommend the latest Homer exhibition but would skip the Freud. Also chanced upon the Museu Diocesa in Palma the other werk, small gem if, like me, you love art history.

5 minutes ago, The Batman said:

I know I made a tounge in cheek comment in the other thread but on a proper note, I don't see what grounds they have. 

Fifa never authorised it. Had they done and backtracked then possibly, but even so, they can still wear it, just take a yellow card for the player wearing it. It's not an outright ban. 

Now if the German fa promised that they would wear in exchange for money / advertising etc then that's their problem. Not fifas. 

I'd broadly agree with this. As I posted the other day, the FIFA World Cup Regs specifically say that FIFA will provide things such as armbands, and that teams will wear those armbands and no others. It's a pretty clear regulation, and by participating at the WC the DFB agree to it. I've not analysed the DFB's case in detail but my gut reaction is that they would likely lose any arbitration carried out. That does depend though on the precise grounds they are going with. If their argument is more economic they may do better, but as you say ultimately FIFA can just say "you had no legal right to wear that armband in the first place, this is all a problem of your own making." Strictly speaking I think I'd agree with that.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

He should have been taken off sooner to protect him!

Apparently Sterling and Trippier missed training too

This , absolutely

Said so at time - ridiculous management , even to leave him on for another 15 mins or so

Theres not an ankle strain that is going to benefit from running on it for another 15 mins straightaway

In a game already won - Poor management , and Kane should know better himself

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

More 0-0 draws in this tournament so far than in all of the World Cup 2018 and Euro 2020 games put together. 

Maybe it's a case of a lot of the outsiders closing the gap on a lot of the other countries.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I don't really understand the third or fourth best teams in the group looking to grab a draw against the second best. Does very little for their chances of qualifying

4 points might get you through.

• Like 2

Whether it's football or politics related or walks the line between the two is hard to say. However heard something quite interesting on radio, bit of a "Boycott Qatar" movement been building in Germany. Mood quite flat, enthusiasm less than usual- if they get on a roll it may change but journo thought not. Said on radio that viewing figures down 1/3 to date for the opening game.

https://www.dw.com/en/bars-in-germany-boycott-qatar-fifa-world-cup/a-63794873

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11455021/Football-mad-European-cities-turn-backs-2022-FIFA-World-Cup-bars-refuse-games.html

Edited by Mr Popodopolous