IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

Not seen any of the game so won't comment too much but are Spain that good or Costa Rica that bad??

In the case of the latter, they used to be better than this- competitive, defensively okay and with a bit of flair on the break.

6 goals 15 shots (adjusted for non penalties) is also on the clinical side and certainly above the norm (the other goal a penalty which presumably was one shot).

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not seen any of the game so won't comment too much but are Spain that good or Costa Rica that bad??

In the case of the latter, they used to be better than this- competitive, defensively okay and with a bit of flair on the break.

6 goals 14 shots is also on the clinical side and certainly above the norm (the other goal a penalty which presumably was one shot).

Both. Will have to see how spain fare against better opposition but they barely broke a sweat whilst scoring 7.

Certainly looking a bit ominous!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

Both. Will have to see how spain fare against better opposition but they barely broke a sweat whilst scoring 7.

Certainly looking a bit ominous!

England, Saudi Arabia and Spain seem like the most clinical sides so far. Looking at Spain on paper there's not a lot wrong there save for the lack of a top class striker. Certainly capable of dominating a midfield battle.

As you say stronger opposition will be a better indicator. As it will for France and perhaps us although Iran usually don't concede many at all.

On 22/11/2022 at 15:30, BTRFTG said:

I note the Danish female pundit (who she?) wasn't required for the post game analysis, presumably as she had nothing more to add than pre-match, in itself nothing. And before the pile on of my being accused misogynistic, let me explain. 

I've always considered pundits comments in context of who the pundit is, the 'what might they know about what they're saying' question? Nothing to do with sex or race, I've thought plenty of pundits buffoons for talking out their backsides over matters at which they were far from accomplished. So the disadvantage of all the 'who they' that BBC and ITV (in particular) appear to think de rigueur is there's nil context as to how to evaluate them? Not only have we have little idea who they are, we've no idea of what they've ever done nor why they're supposedly qualified to comment, which invariably they don't. If described as 'token gestures' one might rightly be accused of being offensive, problem being I haven't yet seen or heard one make a contribution that's had me thinking, good point, I hadn't considered that. Moreover, all appear not to have been to the school of TV Journalism where lesson one is always - don't describe that what viewers are readily able to see for themselves (the blindingly obvious.) Come in at a tangent and add something of which viewers might not be aware.  Sticking them between quality, experienced and opinionated ex-pros simply doesn't work. 

Bloody awful news. I had no idea that was the reason for not appearing post match. I don't think they mentioned she had to leave, hence I thought it odd when she vanished. Poor woman and what dreadful circumstance to learn of such tragedy.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fwiw I had a quick look at XG.

Had Spain winning 3.49-0. About double then.

Argentina and Germany both win on XG, interesting to see how it diverges. 

How many points do they get for that then?

Proves XG is a total waste of time and means nothing

Its REAL goals that count

6 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Bloody awful news. I had no idea that was the reason for not appearing post match. I don't think they mentioned she had to leave, hence I thought it odd when she vanished. Poor woman and what dreadful circumstance to learn of such tragedy.

Only just read it a short while ago myself. Mother hit by a truck it seems.

Edited by BigTone

23 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

How many points do they get for that then?

Proves XG is a total waste of time and means nothing

Its REAL goals that count

Agŕee to an extent. Null points of course!

Probably more useful over a League season than a month long tournament tbh but well though we did, 6 goals from 13 shots is unusually clinical and especially Saudi Arabia who had 2 goals from 3 shots!! That's far from long term averages but again short term tournament.

Spain had 6 from 15 shots penalties aside, you're doing well if you get half that usually.

Over a season a side can certainly regress to the averages.

It can be a sign of things to come. Not always though and less likely in a major tournament.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous