IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

33 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

So anybody who says VAR exists to eliminate errors is incorrect. If it isn't designed to eliminate all error, however marginal, then why bother? For example, in the same league are there always the same number of cameras, of equal definition,  covering identical areas of the pitch? If not, has anybody looked as to whether the more prominent clubs, with greater coverage and higher definition are in receipt of differential calling to their peers?

Why not simply allow marginal error - by giving back total control to the officials?

Beyond reasonable doubt comes to mind, both cricket and rugby have benefited in my opinion from a type of VAR, it’s relatively new, and needs to be developed, it’s not perfect, but will improve and getting as close as possible to the correct decision is a step forward I think.

20 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

The Beautiful Game Football GIF by World Cup

Will be interesting to see how this years winners start the competition. 

Only downside with Brazil is the flashbacks to the Favela mission on MW2. That level can go on the hate list with Badminton Road.   

Great multiplayer map though! 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Beyond reasonable doubt comes to mind, both cricket and rugby have benefited in my opinion from a type of VAR, it’s relatively new, and needs to be developed, it’s not perfect, but will improve and getting as close as possible to the correct decision is a step forward I think.

But that's point. Beyond what reasonable doubt, for whom and when?

When I was a kid refs and umpires made honest calls, quickly giving decisions based upon what they thought beyond doubt. Mostly they were correct. Occasionally they weren't, but life went on and it gave participants and fans something to talk about. Players (and fans) had a rapport with the officials who were respected.

Today we have officials afraid to give even the most basic and obvious decisions for fear of making a mistake. Players know and exploit this. In football this has increased cheating beyond measure and is rapidly becoming the ruination of the game. In cricket we've umpires at square calling for the TV Umpire to adjudicate a run-out when the batsman isn't within 2 yards of the crease. Fans conclude (correctly) if you can't call that what chance the millimetres at bowling crease, line of leg stump, or wicket?

Egg-chasing - don't get me started on a game so stupid the officials have to inform the players what they may or may not do, therefore allowing the officials to control the game. That's why certain sides prefer certain officials and play to their predilections. A game so stupid that despite any amount of cameras at scrums the ball is 'competitively' fed to the feet of the second row, at line outs nowhere near where the non-throwing team may compete for the ball, or at rucks where the ball is adjudged to under control under a toenail yards from the opposition.

If sport's requirement is to always reach the correct decision irrespective of its impact on both game and spectacle its called it badly, for competitive game and spectacle it no longer is.

1 minute ago, BTRFTG said:

If sport's requirement is to always reach the correct decision irrespective of its impact on both game and spectacle its called it badly, for competitive game and spectacle it no longer is.

In a nutshell. No-one ever walked out of a game saying `Well, I really enjoyed that, particularly the fact that the game was stopped multiple times so that every decision could be scrutinised for several minutes by someone who wasn`t at the ground and every one was adjudged correctly to the millimetre. If that means waiting five minutes to celebrate a goal then so be it.`

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Don’t get the same excitement now watching Brazil. Now we see most the players in either the Prem or champions league. Used to be, we got to see these players for the first time. 

They have always had world class strikers. They now have Richarlison.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Super said:

Serbian gameplan working perfectly so far.

But weird watching Brasil playing the counter attack.

Serbia look solid, dependable, unimaginative, reliable. No bad thing really but they'll need a spark from somewhere. Didn't Tadic once play an absolute blinder in a Champions League game? Swear he scored 4 in a game or something like that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

But that's point. Beyond what reasonable doubt, for whom and when?

When I was a kid refs and umpires made honest calls, quickly giving decisions based upon what they thought beyond doubt. Mostly they were correct. Occasionally they weren't, but life went on and it gave participants and fans something to talk about. Players (and fans) had a rapport with the officials who were respected.

Today we have officials afraid to give even the most basic and obvious decisions for fear of making a mistake. Players know and exploit this. In football this has increased cheating beyond measure and is rapidly becoming the ruination of the game. In cricket we've umpires at square calling for the TV Umpire to adjudicate a run-out when the batsman isn't within 2 yards of the crease. Fans conclude (correctly) if you can't call that what chance the millimetres at bowling crease, line of leg stump, or wicket?

Egg-chasing - don't get me started on a game so stupid the officials have to inform the players what they may or may not do, therefore allowing the officials to control the game. That's why certain sides prefer certain officials and play to their predilections. A game so stupid that despite any amount of cameras at scrums the ball is 'competitively' fed to the feet of the second row, at line outs nowhere near where the non-throwing team may compete for the ball, or at rucks where the ball is adjudged to under control under a toenail yards from the opposition.

Admirable sentiments much of which I would agree with at a certain level of the respective sports. However we are dealing with professional sportsmen and women  whose livelihoods depend pretty much on how good they are at their chosen profession (or in some cases how good they are at cheating), not forgetting all the other people involved in the game, including managers who can lose their jobs over a couple of bad results,  that is why we need independent help when required to try and ensure the important  decisions are as correct as possible and to some degree stop the bad guys from benefitting.

34 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Don’t get the same excitement now watching Brazil. Now we see most the players in either the Prem or champions league. Used to be, we got to see these players for the first time. 

Individual brilliance was a big thing back in the 1980s and 90s and often that alone won games. It isn't so much like that anymore. The game is full of athletes

2 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

So we’ve now seen every team. Who’s impressed you the most? 

Spain

4 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

So we’ve now seen every team. Who’s impressed you the most? 

Spain. I know Costa Rica were poor but a lot of that was how good Spain were. They just looked like they could score when they wanted to. The right blend of youth and experience IMO.

I think they`ll win it. Other than them, you have to say England.