IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

8 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I think certain people should drop all this talk of how we only stuffed Iran because they are terrible. They are as good as Wales on this showing so far.

On this showing I'm glad we scored  before them. I was thinking better we played them first game as they seem to have their tails up and are showing maybe they're not as bad as we made them look.

Edited by pillred
Punctuation.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Totterdown's Finest said:

Iran are the better team, aren't they?

1 minute ago, pillred said:

On this showing I'm glad we scored first. I was thinking better we played them first as they seem to have their tails up and are showing maybe they're not as bad as we made them look.

They are defending much better today, they were far too narrow against England. They look to have learned their lesson.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pillred said:

On this showing I'm glad we scored  before them. I was thinking better we played them first game as they seem to have their tails up and are showing maybe they're not as bad as we made them look.

Haven't Iran made 5 changes though, could be why they are better.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

I believe the system is a set of cameras, so in theory yes they should all have the same number of cameras, same location etc. They even went as far as clearing up the offside situation saying the balls have chips in them so they know the precise moment they are kicked and the lines are drawn in seconds apparently - all automatic (I swear some people think a person in a studio "draws" the lines on themselves!)

In practice - is every stadium the same size with the same availability for position cameras? No, but I assume there must be some calibration to ensure uniformity?

For me big issues with VAR is - it's still down to opinion of the person in charge, it's better now that the refs get to view a screen (this didnt initially happen in the Prem I dont think?) so it can ultimately be their call, but you will get 2 very similar incidents receive different punishments across games and officials. On top of that, it's the communication back to the viewer, especially in the stadium. The fans need to know what's being reviewed and given some update.

I've been to a couple of games now in real life where VAR has been used. Leicester v Chelsea FA Cup final with Chelsea's late equaliser, that was an awful fan experience as it took so long and England v Germany recently when no one had a clue what was happening. Luckily had enough signal to message friends and understand what they were looking at.

Recall this is primarily EPL & CL. Other top leagues may use VAR 'if available' and no surprises that's at the biggest clubs. In the EPL 'Offside' systems are calibrated to the pitch, all same size bar 3 I believe, but the number of and quality of cameras covering the broadcast element, all of which are used by VAR in other decisions, varies according to fixture and stadium, so not an entirely level playing field. We often hear pundits, and presumably officials, asking for the 'best view' of an incident. The difference between 2 and 5 cameras capturing an incident could lead to different conclusions.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

As you might imagine, I come across a lot of Maghrebians, living and working in France.

As I learnt many years ago, woe betide you should you inadvertently refer to a proud Berber (or Kabylian) as being an Arab, although, of course, many of both are Muslim.

Whilst the rebukes I received were generally good-humoured, very similar to the reponse one might receive when referring to the Welsh/Scots and/or Irish as being English, or Canadians as being American, one should be in no doubt that they are very proud of their heritage. 

Yes, I’ve visited Morocco several times and it was only this that made me realise that the Berbers are still separate from the Arabs there. I think they’re concentrated in the mountains - the Rif and the Atlas- and tourist trips out of Marrakesh often include Berber villages.