IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Why? It’s tournament football against a good team that were causing us problems. Most of the USA team play top flight football in England, France, Italy and Spain. They are a good team. We will win the group now because of that point.  

It's negative. Wouldn't matter who it was against, it's negative to play that way with the squad England have

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Why? It’s tournament football against a good team that were causing us problems. Most of the USA team play top flight football in England, France, Italy and Spain. They are a good team. We will win the group now because of that point.  

Draw against Wales or even lose to Wales and Iran win. Then it’s not top of the group. 

• Like 2

Just now, Rossi the Robin said:

No panic, USA sat back with good shape and was a predictable outcome, we should learn to not get over hyped.

Will draw v Wales and avoid France in the quarters 

I disagree. They defended with good shape, but I wouldn't say they sat back. Even when we pushed them back they broke with real purpose and threat.

Just now, Rossi the Robin said:

No panic, USA sat back with good shape and was a predictable outcome, we should learn to not get over hyped.

Will draw v Wales and avoid France in the quarters 

You make it sound like USA were playing for 0-0 when they were far more positive than us.

As soon as I saw the endless passing between Maguire and Stones at the start I concluded we were playing not to lose and hoping we might nick a goal.

• Like 2

Just now, chinapig said:

You make it sound like USA were playing for 0-0 when they were far more positive than us.

As soon as I saw the endless passing between Maguire and Stones at the start I concluded we were playing not to lose and hoping we might nick a goal.

Yep the last paragraph 

Edited by Rossi the Robin
  • Like 1

Well it's typical England to put in an unde par performance when it wasn't needed. USA tidy and hard working but we're better than that.

We should of course still get out of the group but we are going nowhere special with that kind of performance.

Again, just so typical England.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Am I right I’m thinking that Wales are effectively out? They can’t overtake both Iran and USA and they’d need to beat us by four clear goals to go above us.

Not if Iran and USA draw. Beat us and they would be ahead of Iran on GD. Otherwise its bye bye.

Sad.

Thought we’d really changed our mentality in the first game. Thought, ok all those shite England games I’ve watched leading us to this tournament have been worthwhile, and we’re turning up and playing a new tune.

Nope, back to Southgate-ball.

Yes, difficult opponents but we were appallingly negative. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Outplayed everywhere. Which just shouldn’t happen given the calibre of players. 

Bringing on Henderson and not Foden speaks volumes about Southgates negative tactics. 

This is it,, he set us up to try and not lose,,, and just about got away with it… whst happens when we play someone actually good is a whole different matter

5 minutes ago, Globe Trotter said:

One of the best young players England have ever had, yet Jordan Henderson is the answer when we need a goal. Wilson, Maddison too ignored 

But we didn't especially need a goal at that point, we needed to be more solid because they were all over us. Henderson did that.

Maddison is injured.

I’ve never been Southgate out, based on what he’s achieved in the last two tournaments coming from where we were under Hodgson, but he is infuriatingly slow at making changes. Let’s be honest the whole team could have been subbed tonight but how Mount stayed on is mental. Kane was also a passenger for the last 35 minutes 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedRock said:

Sad.

Thought we’d really changed our mentality in the first game. Thought, ok all those shite England games I’ve watched leading us to this tournament have been worthwhile, and we’re turning up and playing a new tune.

Nope, back to Southgate-ball.

Yes, difficult opponents but we were appallingly negative. 

Iran sat back, we scored an early goal and therefore smashed them

Iran sit back we don't score an early and its a totally different game maybe 0-0 maybe a 1-0 win or even worse they get us on the break

USA fantastic at pressing, poor at scoring. Score early we probably smash them. Don't score early and they get confidence to make it a difficult game

I dunno what is rocket science about the above

• Like 2