IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

1 minute ago, Dredd said:

I’ve never been Southgate out, based on what he’s achieved in the last two tournaments coming from where we were under Hodgson, but he is infuriatingly slow at making changes. Let’s be honest the whole team could have been subbed tonight but how Mount stayed on is mental. Kane was also a passenger for the last 35 minutes 

Only 35 minutes. I didn't notice him at all in the first half.

3 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Sad.

Thought we’d really changed our mentality in the first game. Thought, ok all those shite England games I’ve watched leading us to this tournament have been worthwhile, and we’re turning up and playing a new tune.

Nope, back to Southgate-ball.

Yes, difficult opponents but we were appallingly negative. 

Spot on. Plus Mount must have something on GS. WTF was he not off at HT, let alone still there at the end. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Iran sat back, we scored an early goal and therefore smashed them

Iran sit back we don't score an early and its a totally different game maybe 0-0 maybe a 1-0 win or even worse they get us on the break

USA fantastic at pressing, poor at scoring. Score early we probably smash them. Don't score early and they get confidence to make it a difficult game

I dunno what is rocket science about the above

35 minutes is not an early goal.

After Iran, I'll admit it would be hard to drop anyone , I still would have but ok.

We were 2nd best for most of the game, but that changed slightly when he made the subs.
And that's my problem, he could be more proactive. 
I've no problem him bringing on Henderson, they were running through our Midfield and Bellingham, Mount and Specially Rice were nowhere to be seen. I thought we were better after. 
We didn't need to do too much, but not lose. It is not in Southgate's make-up to take risks so we can't be surprised with that game. Come the Wales game I see a similar performance, safety first and hope one of those breaks fall for us.

• Like 1

I'm disappointed we didn't finish the job off today. 

We didn't ever really give it a go. 

It concerns me that we were just happy to settle for a point. Nah that's not for me. 

We were lacklustre, unimaginative, passionless and looked really leggy. 

Ideally we would have won tonight so that against Wales we could have fielded players like Walker etc that need some game time if we want to call upon them deeper in the competition.

But this is Southgate, the same manager that let players take pens having not touched the ball. He doesn't have the ability to think ahead. 

We now have to probably play the same lineup against Wales just in case. Wales won't roll over against us like people expect. 

What Grealish has to do to get a start I don't know. He seemed like the only one likely to make something happen today. 

It's criminal how Foden doesn't appear to be a part of Southgates plans. He is one of the most talented English players we've ever had but Southgate just doesn't rate him. 

Foden can play the role that Mount plays but for some reason Southgate sees something in Mount that none of us can see.

After that performance, from both players and management, I'm worried about our chances. 

• Like 4

On the basis that we go through, far better to get a performance like that out of the way in the group stage 

Imagine going through with 3 sparkling performances only to hit the buffers with such a flat performance in the knock out stage.

Edited by downendcity
  • Like 1

If England are pleased with a point then the USA will be ecstatic. Dest or Adams were the overall MOM for me.

I think in a tournament you need to use your squad, and here Southgate didn't do that. Kane, Saka, Mount, all a little flat. If Southgate is happy with his decisions and with the result then so be it. 

I think the starting XI v Wales may say differently though. Changes should be made, and we'll win that game to go through comfortably.

Group A hasn't shown much to be feared, so QFs are every doable from here.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2

Tournament football…4 Pts from 2 games…through to the last 16 with a game to go (bar a 4 goal defeat to Wales), after a disappointing performance.  That’s ok.

A draw was about the right result.

I wouldn’t say we are as good as our FIFA Ranking (5th), so I don’t expect us to roll over a team ranked 16th, who showed first half v Wales how hard they are to play against, especially their press.  Perhaps Southgate might’ve looked at that and saw how Wales countered it, by playing off of Moore, but we don’t have anyone like that.  You could argue we ought to have a “big-man” in our 26 to cover that base.

Maguire played well, hopefully finding some form, Pickford didn’t really have a save to make (Pulisic hit the bar but he had it covered if it was on target.  We held firm and stopped putting ourselves into an awkward position in the group.  Completely in control of our destiny.

Perhaps Monday took a bit more out of some players?  Lessons to be learned, re freshening it up???

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm disappointed we didn't finish the job off today. 

We didn't ever really give it a go. 

It concerns me that we were just happy to settle for a point. Nah that's not for me. 

We were lacklustre, unimaginative, passionless and looked really leggy. 

Ideally we would have won tonight so that against Wales we could have fielded players like Walker etc that need some game time if we want to call upon them deeper in the competition.

But this is Southgate, the same manager that let players take pens having not touched the ball. He doesn't have the ability to think ahead. 

We now have to probably play the same lineup against Wales just in case. Wales won't roll over against us like people expect. 

What Grealish has to do to get a start I don't know. He seemed like the only one likely to make something happen today. 

It's criminal how Foden doesn't appear to be a part of Southgates plans. He is one of the most talented English players we've ever had but Southgate just doesn't rate him. 

Foden can play the role that Mount plays but for some reason Southgate sees something in Mount that none of us can see.

After that performance, from both players and management, I'm worried about our chances. 

I thought you were boycotting?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, collier said:

Southgate is the only person in England who though that the slow passing between the 2 centre half's was a positive thing. Maguire was our best player in terms of doing his job tonight but we wasted so much time with an extra 5 passes between him and Stones.

Yep If we were gonna do that all of the 2nd half we might aswell gone 3 at the back bring Walker or trent and trippier as 3rd cb.

Playing captain hindsight tonight, for me we could have done with highly technical players up top that you can rely on receiving the ball in tight situations, having close control on the half turn and that is Grealish and Foden over Sterling and Saka. The latter have very average close ball control for me and are more suited to running at defences into space rather than picking a lock like tonights game needed. May have even considered playing Rashomon up top instead of Kane.

Edited by jaydee=inspiration
  • Like 1

Disappointing from England tonight. Very flat and lacklustre, and no intensity.  I wanted Southgate to make changes earlier to get a grip on the game.

But we are still in control of our group and on course to progress to the knockout stage, so in terms of the tournament so far so good. 

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Tournament football…4 Pts from 2 games…through to the last 16 with a game to go (bar a 4 goal defeat to Wales), after a disappointing performance.  That’s ok.

A draw was about the right result.

I wouldn’t say we are as good as our FIFA Ranking (5th), so I don’t expect us to roll over a team ranked 16th, who showed first half v Wales how hard they are to play against, especially their press.  Perhaps Southgate might’ve looked at that and saw how Wales countered it, by playing off of Moore, but we don’t have anyone like that.  You could argue we ought to have a “big-man” in our 26 to cover that base.

Maguire played well, hopefully finding some form, Pickford didn’t really have a save to make (Pulisic hit the bar but he had it covered if it was on target.  We held firm and stopped putting ourselves into an awkward position in the group.  Completely in control of our destiny.

Perhaps Monday took a bit more out of some players?  Lessons to be learned, re freshening it up???

Yes, a Crouch type would be handy now and again.