IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

3 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Don’t forget we have the best midfielders and strike force when we score but our defence is awful,when we don’t score but keep a clean sheet our forward players are crap and our defence is still crap 

We kept a clean sheet because the US doesn't have a particularly formidable strike force, not because our defence were watertight. McKenzie, in particular, was given the freedom of our box time and time again. As for the forwards, they weren't great but the ball rarely got to them, so chances were sparse.

It's a draw, not a loss, but let's not try conning ourselves it was any sort of decent performance.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Such a shame that whenever SA find themselves in a good shooting position as a result of excellent approach play.......they blast it, instead of placing it, they should be at least drawing.........gonna cost them?

They remind me very much of the African teams in the 80’s. Relative novices at this level, good energy and athleticism, decent approach play, but all to often completely lose their heads when in a good attacking position. 
Gradually the African sides started to develop more composure as the game at this level became more familiar to them and they didn’t get quite so excited when presented a chance to score. 
I’ve been impressed by Saudi Arabia and I’d imagine the more they play at this sort of level that they’ll gradually gain that composure too. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Why should we be winning tournaments? Are we better than France, Spain, Brazil, Portugal, even Italy maybe (and they didn’t even qualify)? No, I don’t think we are

At this moment with the negative muppet in charge, no. But we have the players to be better than them yes

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Ridiculous statement. Since he became Manager, has he had more at his disposal than France, Germany, Brazil, Belgium? It's elite World Class competition, winning it is as rare as hens teeth. 

He has made us consistently competitive and that's an achievement in itself at this level. 

You keep accepting mediocrity 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

We kept a clean sheet because the US doesn't have a particularly formidable strike force, not because our defence were watertight. McKenzie, in particular, was given the freedom of our box time and time again. As for the forwards, they weren't great but the ball rarely got to them, so chances were sparse.

It's a draw, not a loss, but let's not try conning ourselves it was any sort of decent performance.

Midfield is a problem,obviously golden boy was struggling but then we get Henderson and people were outraged that he came on instead of flinging on more forward players,it’s bizarre that some people thought the way to fix something is replace like for like in attacking areas without taking notice we had no holding midfielder doing his job 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If England win its because the opposition were awful. If England don’t win, the opposition is irrelevant and England are awful 

I think you are talking about a minority (sizeable but a minority nonetheless). We followed up a great performance attacking wise v Iran with a very poor display last night. Maguire had a great game in terms of dealing with set pieces so thanks to him, to all intents and purposes, we go through, the aim of tournament football.

However, when we get through and play better sides that starting XI last night will be piss easy to defend against. The vast majority of fans and ex pro’s are saying the same thing - he’s got to find a way of getting Foden on the pitch and firing. If you need to unlock a France team in the Quarters then your best attacking midfield player by a country mile has to be starting not sat around watching the likes of Mount, Saka and Bellingham failing to do the basics.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, frenchred said:

At this moment with the negative muppet in charge, no. But we have the players to be better than them yes

Do you want to go hung ho and get absolutely battered when we play a good team like when brazil got battered by the Germans,imagine the scenes on here if we got thumped 7-1 or whatever it was

4 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Midfield is a problem,obviously golden boy was struggling but then we get Henderson and people were outraged that he came on instead of flinging on more forward players,it’s bizarre that some people thought the way to fix something is replace like for like in attacking areas without taking notice we had no holding midfielder doing his job 

Agreed. The old "Throw on 4 forwards and we're bound to score" theory was outdated 20 years ago and it's outdated now.

4 Strikers/forward players can crowd each other out for one but significantly as you can say, can just cede the midfield, just handing a big advantage to the opposition to pass around or break through the gaps.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We got the point and are in pole position to win the group but think we need to dominate those central areas a bit more to control the game better and both guard against the counter.

Unsure Mount in a central 3 does this and certainly vs better sides..I have certain tactical biases granted.

What about Rice, Foden, Bellingham in a genuine CM 3?

We only really played in fits and starts, bit disappointing.

Southgate’s comments suggests Foden has little chance of playing at the top of a midfield three, which is concerning given Mount seems to be the only one he will play in that role.

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Do you want to go hung ho and get absolutely battered when we play a good team like when brazil got battered by the Germans,imagine the scenes on here if we got thumped 7-1 or whatever it was

We don’t need to. Make your midfield solid I completely agree and stick your best player in the side. Balance, that’s what we need when it comes down to the Big Boys football. Last night was not balanced at all until he brought Henderson on but we were still missing the player who gives you a spark the other way….and we have that player.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed. The old "Throw on 4 forwards and we're bound to score" theory was outdated 20 years ago and it's outdated now.

4 Strikers/forward players can crowd each other out for one but significantly as you can say, can just cede the midfield, just handing a big advantage to the opposition to pass around or break through the gaps.

We were getting played through and leaving massive gaps for 75 minutes as it was….

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Indeed, was making wider point too.

Henderson-Rice-Foden for such a scenario maybe? Think we definitely need a truer 3 though.

Bellingham will no doubt get another go and fair enough as it could have been a case of just a one off poor game but I think your midfield three against a top side would be a better option on that showing last night. My gut says though that Mount is undroppable and Foden, like Grealish, is seen by Southgate as no more than an impact player. Not an opinion shared by Pep!!

13 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Bellingham will no doubt get another go and fair enough as it could have been a case of just a one off poor game but I think your midfield three against a top side would be a better option on that showing last night. My gut says though that Mount is undroppable and Foden, like Grealish, is seen by Southgate as no more than an impact player. Not an opinion shared by Pep!!

Grealish is a bit part player for pep,I think we all know foden should be in this side