IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

13 minutes ago, chinapig said:

A memory* of the painful variety. Imagine the stick Sir Alf would have got on social media for the subs he made that day. And he didn't even have Foden in the squad!

*Though I do sometimes post something then wonder if it really happened. Old age never comes alone.?

Imagine the stick Sir Alf would have got on social media in '66 when he preferred Geoff Hurst to the fit again Jimmy Greaves !

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chinapig said:

I was actually confused by his explanation. His argument was that he didn't bring Foden on because he wanted to change the wide players and playing in midfield in this game didn't suit Foden.

So is he saying that Foden is in the squad as a midfielder and not a wide attacker?

He said about Grealish keeping the ball better on one side and Rashford having more pace on the other side.   I didn’t agree with him but at least he explained I guess! 

5 minutes ago, lenred said:

He said about Grealish keeping the ball better on one side and Rashford having more pace on the other side.   I didn’t agree with him but at least he explained I guess! 

He brought Rashford on and played him out of position. I'm guessing he didn't bring Foden on because of what he offers without the ball. He should've been braver.

9 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Imagine the stick Sir Alf would have got on social media in '66 when he preferred Geoff Hurst to the fit again Jimmy Greaves !

And Roger Hunt.

And playing without wingers.

And drawing the first game 0-0.

And not celebrating England's 4th goal in the final.

And trying to talk posh.?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I tell you what, I do not have the talent to be a TV cameraman following the game at one of these Cup matches, but if I was assigned the "totty camera" role, scanning the crowd for the nice-looking ladies jumping up and down, I could draw on a skillset developed for decades. 

Get in the queue. The Iranian ladies in particular.

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

The question arose in the pub last night as to whether the Gas have ever had a player at the World Cup. I know Junior Agogo was in the Ghana squad during his time there, but I can't recall him at a World Cup. 

I can`t think of any who went while they were with the tramps. They have had one or two that weren`t their players at the time - the most notable being Alan Ball I suppose.

It's a tricky one with Kane. When we're in the ascendancy he's very good but when we're not he looks pedestrian. If we'd have beaten USA then I would've rested him against Wales but as we have a bottler of a manager who's clutching at straws, he will play him regardless. USA were a good side and played out of their skins. They dictated the tempo. We just needed to click and put away one of those earlier chances and they would've been a lot more open.

16 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

We also seemed happy to allow the Americans to have unchallenged possession in their half from goal kicks. The fact they could literally walk it up to the halfway line then launch it to whoever had found some space, caused us all sorts of problems. England were pressed high whenever they were on the ball in our half. We never got a free pass. 

This ??????

• Like 1