IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

The strange thing is, Martino himself has a reputation as a manager who likes his pressing game. One of those who has been under Bielsa.

Argentina were vulnerable due to the last game and pressure on them due to being one defeat from elimination, while a draw would have put them in serious trouble.

Wouldn't you look to exploit that properly?? Especially as he himself is Argentinean, might have an idea of their strengths and weaknesses.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 26/11/2022 at 00:00, lenred said:

Yep.  You got it. That’s exactly what I’m saying.   
Ps how are the WINNERS of the Euros getting on? 

Len, I'd settle for the winners' track record in major tournaments with the odd non-qualification, wouldn't you?

It's perfectly normal.that expectations for this tournament include beating the USA, considering Euro 2020 and WC2018. TBF, before the tournament started, most weren't picking England as favourites (Brazil and France are touted as that).

Besides that, I think the manner of the draw against USA is what has irked most, it certainly did for me.

11 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Agree. Dutch bang average .

A lot of world cups have been won by not the best sides.

74,78 Dutch.Brazil 82 were the standout teams and generally most football fans hope to win the tournament.

how Italy took Brazil out in 82 remains a mystery to me.

Simple really

Football is about attacking AND defending That Italian side could do both Brazil could not

• Like 1

Missed a lot of the England game as I was at a Xmas meal: had it on an iPad at the table with a few of us watching it but hard to pay proper attention.

Poor performance and I’m as surprised as everyone else about some of the selections and subs. There must be more to it that we as fans just don’t hear about, training, attitudes, injuries whatever else.

We’re all but qualified though. I thought we’d struggle to get out of the group so I’ll take that.

If we somehow get turned over by 4 goals on Tuesday I’ll never watch England again. Should at least be a more open game as wales have to go for it. Would be good to win the group though, particularly as I’m at a wedding next Saturday!

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

Those ******* Germans are gonna get through with 3 points, can see it now

Japan only have themselves to blame by not starting Minamino, Asano and Tomiyasu. Very pragmatic approach from their manager which has cost them. Pragmatism doesn't always work see

Just now, CheddarReds said:

Weird Japan didn't play their strongest team. Giving themselves the best chance of having 6 points on the board before their game vs Spain would make sense to me

Germans likely to go through now in my opinion, regardless of what happens tonight. They will hammer Costa Rica.

2 hours ago, intercity said:

Len, I'd settle for the winners' track record in major tournaments with the odd non-qualification, wouldn't you?

It's perfectly normal.that expectations for this tournament include beating the USA, considering Euro 2020 and WC2018. TBF, before the tournament started, most weren't picking England as favourites (Brazil and France are touted as that).

Besides that, I think the manner of the draw against USA is what has irked most, it certainly did for me.

I’m done arguing about England this weekend. It’s done my nut in tbh! 

Edited by lenred

4 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Germans likely to go through now in my opinion, regardless of what happens tonight. They will hammer Costa Rica.

Yep agree.  Massive balls up by Japan.  What on earth were they thinking.  Just proves that there are zero easy games though - yet again.  

Just now, lenred said:

Yep agree.  Massive balls up by Japan.  What on earth were they thinking.  Just proves that there are zero easy games though - yet again.  

They basically didn't play 4 of their best players for today's game. Shocking decision and has now have those bloody Germans a chance

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

They basically didn't play 4 of their best players for today's game. Shocking decision and has now have those bloody Germans a chance

Got to hope Spain win tonight and then rest their first team v Japan and they get a draw.  Possible but a long shot I reckon.   

1 hour ago, sticks 1969 said:

Good read from someone who went

95C30FEB-9EF0-4EB0-93CE-C285AB277BA4.png

Sorry but it is an oppressive country with little regard for the basic rights of workers and those who are not straight heterosexuals.

Very similar to the 1936 Olympics! And plenty of others in this time. Brazil? Russia? No country is totally perfect but most of the democratic nations are not so restrictive.

Edited by cidered abroad

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Sorry but it is an oppressive country with little regard for the basic rights of workers and those who are not straight heterosexuals.

Very similar to the 1936 Olympics!

Except Qatar are not trying to enforce their views on the rest of the World by using military intimidation and force. 

On reflection it shouldn't be a surprise that Japan go full LJ era City playing at Ashton Gate.

A team that depends on attacking transitions and in Japan's case with insanely fast dribblers who exploit the spaces from a turnover to full effect, incapable of breaking down the deepest defensive block at the World Cup and apparently with a confused Plan B. They'll have known going into this that their strengths would be nullified and they adapted badly. Sound familiar?

• Like 1

Just now, Olé said:

On reflection it shouldn't be a surprise that Japan go full LJ era City playing at Ashton Gate.

A team that depends on attacking transitions and in Japan's case with insanely fast dribblers who exploit the spaces from a turnover to full effect, incapable of breaking down the deepest defensive block at the World Cup and apparently with a confused Plan B. They'll have known going into this that their strengths would be nullified and they adapted badly. Sound familiar?

Weirdly I thought similar. All the creativity going forward but decided to pass it square across the backline for the majority of the game. No real quality going forward, but they left those who had the quality to unlock Costa Rica on the bench. Reminded me of an LJ team who had no ideas how to unlock a stubborn back line

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Except Qatar are not trying to enforce their views on the rest of the World by using military intimidation and force. 

As state sponsors of terrorism, I'd say they do just that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_and_state-sponsored_terrorism#:~:text=Qatar has sponsored al-Qaeda's,-Nusra Front%2C since 2013.

• Like 4