IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

11 hours ago, RedRock said:

I’ll be that 1 then. 

If you rashly ‘dive in’ for a tackle, particularly in the penalty box, you are not in control of your arms. If you deflect the ball with your hand to your team’s advantage - and it was a clear and significant advantage to the defender,  as the attacker was straight through on goal - then you run the risk of a penalty being awarded. 

Regards

Strikers Union

I don't believe you were (are) in the strikers union, I would hazard a guess that you've never played the game.

if that's a penalty in the game is completely gone!

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I am probably going to get told to "lighten up" but does anyone else think that having a "totty cam" going around the crowds is something of an anachronism in this day and age? 

I thought even FIFA had moved on past this stuff with the way they are promoting the women's game.

I'm a fan of the "totty cam", nothing wrong with the appreciation of beauty IMO.

I also like the "losing fans crying cam".

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I am probably going to get told to "lighten up" but does anyone else think that having a "totty cam" going around the crowds is something of an anachronism in this day and age? 

I thought even FIFA had moved on past this stuff with the way they are promoting the women's game.

ffs lighten up! It's been the highlight of a lot of the games! ?

• Like 4

It does seem a little pointless when Sweden haven't qualified.

• Haha 2

What we thinking tonight then?

Rumours Hendo in for Bellingham, now I know some will question that on talent - but on the face of Friday's performance, why not? We looked better when Hendo came on and regained midfield control (from what I saw)

I'd like to have seen Kane rested in that game, so perhaps tonight? Then again, ultimately he's our best player - I just wonder if a hungry (and presumably fully fit) Wilson offers us some more energy?

I'd like to see some more "freshening up" but tbh I wouldn't change the back four or Rice. Perhaps swap out Mount, I really want to see Foden get more game time.

The draw is interesting - a first place sees a potentially easier last 16 game (on paper) but a QF with France likely awaits.

Second place would be a likely route of Netherlands and Argentina - are both winnable? they should be

IMO though we have to go out and win this and do so convincingly. Forget the draw, we'd need to get past France at some point if we want to win it. You don't want to go into knockout football off the back of two realy poor results and scraping through. You want a strong performance and players on form.

I'd love to see Kane get a couple of goals if he starts and a clean sheet, but it's a "derby" and they will be well up for it, anything can happen. I can't see a 4-0 though, so I think we're safely through.

• Like 3

I suppose, being serious, the justification would be that is shows football isn't just a game for blokes, but a lot of female spectators watch the men's game. 

• Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I suppose, being serious, the justification would be that is shows football isn't just a game for blokes, but a lot of female spectators watch the men's game. 

And I'm sure those female spectators love the idea that if they do go, there'll be sweaty camera men scanning the crowd for them at all times so a bunch of sad blokes at home can ogle them.

3 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

And I'm sure those female spectators love the idea that if they do go, there'll be sweaty camera men scanning the crowd for them at all times so a bunch of sad blokes at home can ogle them.

TBF it's a "fan cam" and they are as likely to pick out a fat bloke banging a drum (it's always fat blokes for some reason!) or people dressed up in a weird version of 'national costume' as they are to focus on woman spectators. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

TBF it's a "fan cam" and they are as likely to pick out a fat bloke banging a drum (it's always fat blokes for some reason!) or people dressed up in a weird version of 'national costume' as they are to focus on woman spectators. 

1 minute ago, frenchred said:

Good god, lighten up mate

Too close to home? ;) 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Slghtly off topic, but imagine having one of these at the Slumorial Ground.

What a scary thought.

12 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

In seriousness though as you've mentioned, they pick out men for what they're doing (banging a drum, dressing up stupidly) and women for just... existing. Happens quite often imo.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 2

Just now, IAmNick said:

In seriousness though as you've mentioned, they pick out men for what they're doing (banging a drum, dressing up stupidly) and women for just... existing. Happens quite often imo.

I'm sure they are told to reflect the diversity of football crowds these days, so that includes women, kids (though few can afford to take their children to Qatar for this one) and ethnic minorities.  Which is probably why during Canada's last game, the fan cam found a patriotically dressed (maple-leaf turbans) Sikh family group. 

It must be the short straw to draw if you like football, being on that duty. Your colleagues are watching the match, and you're there but having to scan the seats for interesting reactions. 

6 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

If they're picking out women for just existing, why don't they home in on the ugly ones?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Saudi Arabia v Iran would be a tough gig for the totty cameraman.

There are some pretty stunning Iranian women and I think one of the reasons they got picked out in the crowd so much was that most, though not all, were openly defying their country's theocratic government by having their hair uncovered. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

But only hot ones apparently. :whistle:

Edited by Port Said Red

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

There are some pretty stunning Iranian women and I think one of the reasons they got picked out in the crowd so much was that most, though not all, were openly defying their country's theocratic government by having their hair uncovered. 

Oh Robbo, allow a man a small joke about the nature of a nation's traditional clothing/admission policy on females at sporting events.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Personally I think the fan cam shows a good cross section of the crowds whether blokes, ladies or kids. Particularly enjoyed the one showing the Aussie players Son after his Dad scored. Other than that why dont some people lighten up instead of trying to make an issue out of everything

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

I wouldn't mind seeing a 3-4-3 consisting of ;

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire

Trippier                          Shaw

Bellingham Rice

Saka       Kane         Foden

Take Kane out for Wilson and yes