IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For me, AG’s position makes the defender go backwards for the ball and try to head it.  As you say he wasn’t back-pedalling prior to his jump he’d be in more control. I think offside was correct.

FWIW, I think the offside tech has been very good, certainly in terms of what we are shown on screen.  I’m not convinced about the images shown in the opening game, but that decision aside, it’s been good.

The stuff we see in PL games is crap, look like poorly drawn lines, which are too thick, etc.

The fact that the ball has a sensor (500 senses a second) allows better decisions around when the ball was kicked.

If I saw this introduced into our game I would have less issues.

I think that's where it comes down to the line "being in an offside position is not an offence". AG can stand there, and take the gamble now. Yes it means the defender has to go for it as he can't know that it's offside - that's where as I said I'd argue the rule is flawed because now defenders have to attempt to go for balls they may not have needed to (Taylor Moore situation v Boro).

I agree it's been better though, I read that average time for a decision is 25 seconds compared to several minutes in the prem. Still not sure what happened in that first game, right decision but poor comms around it - also the apparent mistake in the Argentina v Saudi game

I was always under the assumption that the lines were automated as part of the software - but again from reading about the VAR in the WC it seems they are manually drawn on in the Prem, so there is margin for error. I'd welcome this version of VAR for offsides - although comms needs to improve.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The dastardly red said:

Slightly related, has Suarez ever won a major trophy? Can't remember if he ever won the Chompians League. 

Yes scored in final against Juve 2015 i think. Also 4 spanish titles and 4 cups.

Edited by Super

16 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

my friend took me for around the valley towns north of Port Talbot, she advised me not to get out of the car as I wouldn't be welcome because of my accent

The only place I've ever experienced that was in Sheffield. A Yorkshire friend met me in a pub so rough, he ordered every drink so no one could hear my southern accent. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Ecko said:

Why can't they just tell them it's offside, instead wasting minutes by going over to the monitor? 

Because , the player who was in an offside position was not directly involved and the on pitch referee is the one to decide whether he was interfering with play / active  - Can’t believe the commentator and Jenas are so confused

* I don’t agree with the final decision mind

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Because , the player who was in an offside position was not directly involved and the on pitch referee is the one to decide whether he was interfering with play - Can’t believe the commentator and Jeans are so confused

* I don’t agree with the final decision mind

That's not right, the guy challenging for the ball was the guy they gave offside for so he was involved. He made the defender head the ball.

5 minutes ago, collier said:

That's not right, the guy challenging for the ball was the guy they gave offside for so he was involved. He made the defender head the ball.

Was that the marginal 3D image they showed ?

Still falls into Taylor’s remit I’d surmise , phases of play , and all that nonsense !

I would understand the decision more in that case though 

Edited by Sheltons Army

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

The only place I've ever experienced that was in Sheffield. A Yorkshire friend met me in a pub so rough, he ordered every drink so no one could hear my southern accent. 

My wife is Irish and i have experienced the exact same thing when in Ireland.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Well taken Sir. Morocco 2 up

Does it bother you Tone that 14 of their players were born in other countries? One was actually born in Canada. I am not passing judgement, just asking the question. It never seemed to bother the Irish when they were winning under Jack Charlton.

14 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Does it bother you Tone that 14 of their players were born in other countries? One was actually born in Canada. I am not passing judgement, just asking the question. It never seemed to bother the Irish when they were winning under Jack Charlton.

No, it doesn't worry me. They obviously have a family tie somewhere. You could say the same about a lot of teams.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

And the Welsh love in and over hype continues

I love the country having worked all around Wales for a few years. Full of beautiful places, lots of friendly people. Given the option and the money I would choose to live on the Gower coast.

But I am heartily sick of the constant romanticising and if I was Welsh I would be embarrassed by now. For God's sake make it stop!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

I love the country having worked all around Wales for a few years. Full of beautiful places, lots of friendly people. Given the option and the money I would choose to live on the Gower coast.

But I am heartily sick of the constant romanticising and if I was Welsh I would be embarrassed by now. For God's sake make it stop!

Yes , it’s not the people , it’s the BBC going ott

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes, I was surprised at just how many there are across all the teams, I expected Qatar to be the highest number but not even close. 

image.thumb.png.73d8f9944c0d0b86471ff461fee4922a.png

Closer to us at BCFC

Semenyo born in London & plays for Ghana

Morrell born in Ipswich I think & plays for Wales

A while back Louis Carey born in Brizzle & played U21 for Scotland

Happens in all sports. The recent Rugby League WC was a classic example.

I half follow Morocco because I lived and worked there.

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1