IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

Itv are having their Bellingham and Mbappe love in at the moment ahead of the QF clash. They are certainly skilful and may well be wonderful humans but apparently so is every young player on the planet right now. Every single one is wonderful, mature for their years, destined to be the best thing since sliced bread blah, blah, blah. Not one young player is an obnoxious, over-confident, big-headed tw*t.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

One of the Moroccan players just beat his man without touching the ball, I don't think I have seen that in years. The last player I remember doing it was John Barnes.

Great, wasn’t it?! And he seemed so surprised to have beaten him that he stopped momentarily. But the defended was so flat footed by it that the Moroccan player was able to get away from a standing start. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Quite an enjoyable game so far.

Morocco’s goalkeeper’s distribution is interesting and, perhaps I am wrong, but does anybody else get the impression the referee is favouring Morocco, slightly? Quite a lot, actually.

I think he is letting the player be more physical than most of the other refs I've seen this World Cup and that is definitely favoring Morocco at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

I think he is letting the player be more physical than most of the other refs I've seen this World Cup and that is definitely favoring Morocco at the moment. 

You mean he's allowing it to be a contact sport - as it should be.

Refs who don't allow any sort of physical contact are favouring teams like Spain and Brazil, who have a propensity to go down like a sack of spuds at the slightest challenge and in particular when they lose the ball under any sort of pressure in a dangerous area. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

Perhaps that’s why the match is so enjoyable.

Another reason, of course, is that it is always nice to see an upset and, the more this match goes on - just under half an hour of normal time left as I type - the more I suspect this might be the first and only upset in this round of 16.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Am I the only one who find Spain boring to watch? Like man city half the time it's just pass for pass sake

Put it this way apart from their first game I don't think England would lose any sleep at the thought of playing Spain, Brazil on the other hand.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Quite an enjoyable game so far.

Morocco’s goalkeeper’s distribution is interesting and, perhaps I am wrong, but does anybody else get the impression the referee is favouring Morocco, slightly? Quite a lot, actually.

I was thinking the opposite TBH. Gavi for example has got away with murder.

Edited by BigTone