IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

I have zero time for Henry posh man winter he has a holier than though attitude when all he does is regurgitate others reports.

I was in Marseilles with my family and witnessed first hand what went on with the russian scum and he thought it was a great idea to run a story blaming the English fans!

Lowlife who doesn't deserve any respect

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

If Southgate goes into the France game with a defensive mentality I'll probably switch to Southgate out. I don't want to see 5 at the back as a plan to counter Mbappe as i've heard others say. 

Would love to see an unchanged team. France should worry about us and we shouldn't fear them, we've got some tricky talent for them to deal with. I worry Southgate hasn't learnt, but so far he's showing he has. Come Saturday and if we see Mount and Sterling squeezed into the starting 11, it's over.

Worst thing that could happen is if we score in the first 20. We've seen that story one too many times ?

I think if we don't hold back and start the same team, we'll be in for a hell of a game :D 

Edited by Sturny
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, frenchred said:

I  was in Marseilles with my family and witnessed first hand what went on with the russian scum and he thought it was a great idea to run a story blaming the English fans!

Lowlife who doesn't deserve any respect

I'm not familiar with what he said at the time, but let's not pretend it doesn't take two to tango. England fans were fighting back the Russians, and fighting them back well for long periods on the day of the game and the night before. There was also plenty of Marseille and PSG hooligans about too. 

57 minutes ago, Sturny said:

If Southgate goes into the France game with a defensive mentality I'll probably switch to Southgate out. I don't want to see 5 at the back as a plan to counter Mbappe as i've heard others say.

5 at the back like he played for the Germany game at the Euros to deliver our performance of that tournament? 

Regards Southgate in or out after this tournament. I think that's immaterial. I think he's leaving even if we win the thing. 

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

Would love to see an unchanged team. France should worry about us and we shouldn't fear them, we've got some tricky talent for them to deal with. I worry Southgate hasn't learnt, but so far he's showing he has. Come Saturday and if we see Mount and Sterling squeezed into the starting 11, it's over.

Worst thing that could happen is if we score in the first 20. We've seen that story one too many times ?

I think if we don't hold back and start the same team, we'll be in for a hell of a game :D 

This was all too often LJ's mentality. Worrying more about countering the opposition's strengths rather than playing to ours.

We are pretty potent going forward - if given the chance and I would much rather us defending by pressing higher up the pitch.

The risk of this would be France making quick counter attacks and the thought of Maguire being exposed one on one, with Mbappe bearing down on him at full tilt ,would mean the Major running out of squeaky bum oil supplies!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm not familiar with what he said at the time, but let's not pretend it doesn't take two to tango. England fans were fighting back the Russians, and fighting them back well for long periods on the day of the game and the night before. There was also plenty of Marseille and PSG hooligans about too. 

Suppose attacking the neutral end with women in wheelchairs was someone else's fault as well

24 minutes ago, downendcity said:

This was all too often LJ's mentality. Worrying more about countering the opposition's strengths rather than playing to ours.

We are pretty potent going forward - if given the chance and I would much rather us defending by pressing higher up the pitch.

The risk of this would be France making quick counter attacks and the thought of Maguire being exposed one on one, with Mbappe bearing down on him at full tilt ,would mean the Major running out of squeaky bum oil supplies!

100% agree on LJ, I wrote a bit about LJ in that post but deleted it as I was rambling on :D France will be making quick counter attacks whether or not we flood the defence. I don't think we'll be keeping them out of the net unfortunately.

37 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

5 at the back like he played for the Germany game at the Euros to deliver our performance of that tournament? 

Regards Southgate in or out after this tournament. I think that's immaterial. I think he's leaving even if we win the thing. 

Yup, we can see what this team does with our recent formation. I believe we've improved since the Euros, we're a lot more threatening. 

1 hour ago, Nathandao said:

93rd minute Maguire gets that massive slabhead on an outswinging corner from Luke Shaw. Lloris barely gets a finger to it but not enough to keep it out. Stadium erupts, absolute limbs.

4-1 France.

Got to say that i see Mcguire as a possible weak lnk.......early on against Senegal a couple of the type of loose passes out from the back that he commited then, will be taken better advantage of by the French?  Hope I'm wrong.

32 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Got to say that i see Mcguire as a possible weak lnk.......early on against Senegal a couple of the type of loose passes out from the back that he commited then, will be taken better advantage of by the French?  Hope I'm wrong.

My view is that was a result of lack of patience and trying to “force it”. Of course it’s a worry, but I really hope we’ve learned that keeping the ball and working the opening is key.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My view is that was a result of lack of patience and trying to “force it”. Of course it’s a worry, but I really hope we’ve learned that keeping the ball and working the opening is key.

Like Spain proved against Morocco ?

I just hope we go on the front foot play to our strengths power and pace,  not spend the first half hour playing Chuckle brothers football between Stones and Maguire.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Like Spain proved against Morocco ?

I just hope we go on the front foot play to our strengths power and pace,  not spend the first half hour playing Chuckle brothers football between Stones and Maguire.

That depends a lot on the players in front of Stones and Maguire, it’s not their fault per se.

Maguire was really unlucky with his first “sloppy” pass.  It was a first time pass that had it not got cut out would’ve had us clear down the left.  I forgive him that one.  But it was a bit of a momentum shifter, and the second one with Senegal on top was lazy.

Knocking it around on the half way line, waiting for the opening is ok by me.  It’s when we are doing it in our own third, because we can’t “get out” where we have to be smarter.  Trying to force it into midfield, or into Kane and getting it cut out is what will leads to chances being given away - and France more capable of punishing us.  Commentators were right v Senegal that sometimes you gave to tweak your approach, e.g. a couple of balls in behind the FBs, turn them around, get up the pitch and squeeze them in…and build from there.

• Like 5

On 08/12/2022 at 10:44, Kid in the Riot said:

I was in Marseille, what happened on the waterfront was absolutely no fault of the English. it was mostly families etc down there.

I agree on the whole England fans weren't totally without fault, there was certainly some questionable behaviour on the Friday night particularly some trying to rile the locals. Also many, many wing mirrors taken off and cars trampled on.

12 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I was in Marseille, what happened on the waterfront was absolutely no fault of the English. it was mostly families etc down there.

Haha what?! Families? You are talking about Vieux Port, yes? You must have been in a different part to me. 

I'm not disputing the Russians weren't the main instigators/aggressors btw, but that was returned to them with interest. Plus plenty of police attacked by Eng fans after tear gas was fired in. 

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Haha what?! Families? You are talking about Vieux Port, yes? You must have been in a different part to me. 

I'm not disputing the Russians weren't the main instigators/aggressors btw, but that was returned to them with interest. Plus plenty of police attacked by Eng fans after tear gas was fired in. 

Agreed, i was right there when it first went up and for one i didn’t see many families and 2 it was certainly returned with interest, it was not just Russians either, a French fan had a great big knife!!
i went back to the port after the game and nobody was there, it was eerily dark and I’ve never been so on edge in my life. Loads of locals all scarfed up literally out hunting. 

• Like 1

I fancy Netherlands to edge past Argentina in a high scoring classic, but think Brazil will have too much for Croatia. Not fussed who gets through today, just looking forward to, hopefully, two good games. Hoping Croatia can at least give Brazil a game!!

Just need to try and get my work for the week done by 3!!

Edited by DolmanGaz

12 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Croatia and Netherlands to get through today ....... Anybody?

It really wouldn't surprise me if Croatia pushed Brazil the whole way. The Croats have shown since becoming an independent Nation that they can compete with anyone and shouldn't be underestimated. 

If Brazil are over confident then that could come back to bite them

• Like 2