IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

Argentina has such a tangled history with Britain, a history that extends far beyond Falklands jingoism and the "Hand of God". The silver land is a grand country in which there remain native Welsh speakers and gentlemen's clubs reminiscent of the RAC. Polo, rugby, and yes their footballing tradition stem from our own. A fascinating history from a fine country.

England should never get to enter a team in the world cup, but as the closest approximation to a UK team I'd enjoy an England v Argentina final.

Interestingly our potential semi-final opponents Portugal are the other participants in the oldest continuous international alliance - Britain (or it's predecessor nations) and Portugal have been formally allied since the mid-1300's.

3 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Our behaviour ?

Their behaviour at World Cups , in one form or another Since 66 has been a disgrace time after time , tournament after tournament ..always something .....

......Cheating , bribery , thuggery

Not sure I can remember England’s history the same

Ohhh . The miracle win over Hungary you mean !

?

Comes across bitter i'm afraid. These things happened a long time ago. I'm sorry to break it to you but since 1966 they have been better than we have been and produced two of the top 5 players of all time in that time. They deserved to beat us in 1986 regardless of a handball and 1998 it was very much 50/50. 

Their 1970s days were shady stuff but the same could be said for a lot of Country's at different periods of time.

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

The post above explains it,it’s not about war but they have always been cheating scumbags diving left right and centre,guessing you are young and never witnessed it so it didn’t happen 

Their players play on the edge and with flair which I find entertaining to watch. England have had some great matches with them over the years and they have produced some brilliant players

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Never asked that did I,you are being dishonest,you said the best player in the world which he isn’t anymore 

Well only 1 year ago he won a Ballon d'or so you could argue that he still is. That being said he is still the best player at the World cup in terms of his entire career and overall ability. I can't think of a player in the World right now who would have done the assist Messi did for Argentina's first goal tonight, can you?

Currently Mbappe is better on form and it helps that he has legs that are about 13 years younger than Messi's.

5 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Comes across bitter i'm afraid. These things happened a long time ago. I'm sorry to break it to you but since 1966 they have been better than we have been and produced two of the top 5 players of all time in that time. They deserved to beat us in 1986 regardless of a handball and 1998 it was very much 50/50. 

Their 1970s days were shady stuff but the same could be said for a lot of Country's at different periods of time.

They’ve cheated , and behaved in the worst fashion , and consistently ,of any country in World Football

Its really that simple

30 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Is Messi the best footballer in the world,cmon he was great but is he really better then the French lad right now,hate to break it to you but the argies are worse than Brazil so change your bet to a England v Croatia final ?

Yes he maybe waning a little at 35, but we will see tomorrow when they play England, if Mbappe can create an assist and score a goal, as Messi just did tonight?       Over the past  15 year's  i find it extraordinary that anyone     could even consider challenging the fact that Messi,  has consistently been the world's best footballer?   As for my bet...........i am sticking with the England v Argentina final  thanks.  And when Mbappe has won 7 Ballon   D'or's, won the Champions League 4 times, scored 50 goals in one season and  earned countless other achievements, then i will consider him, up against Messi's record, but he does have youth on his side?   The only difference at the present time between Brazil and Argentina,  is that one of them is in a World Cup Semi-Final......and the other isn't? ?

Edited by maxjak
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Yes he maybe waning a little at 35, but we will see tomorrow when they play England, if Mbappe can create an assist and score a goal, as Messi just did tonight?       Over the past  15 year's  i find it extraordinary that anyone     could even consider challenging the fact that Messi,  has consistently been the world's best footballer?   As for my bet...........i am sticking with the England v Argentina final  thanks.  And when Mbappe has won 7 Ballon   D'or's, won the Champions League 4 times, scored 50 goals in one season and  earned countless other achievements, then i will consider him, up against Messi's record, but he does have youth on his side?   The difference at the present time between Brazil and Argentina,  is that one of them is in a World Cup Semi-Final......and the other isn't? ?

But but but but Messi hasn't played in England and would he do it on a cold Tuesday night in Stoke ? 

I am grateful for Argentina for producing Messi and Maradona - two of the greatest of all time and that's pure natural talent.

23 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Well only 1 year ago he won a Ballon d'or so you could argue that he still is. That being said he is still the best player at the World cup in terms of his entire career and overall ability. I can't think of a player in the World right now who would have done the assist Messi did for Argentina's first goal tonight, can you?

Currently Mbappe is better on form and it helps that he has legs that are about 13 years younger than Messi's.

He won it at PSG while doing absolutely nothing let’s be honest so it shows how bloody useless the Ballon d’or trophy is,as for the assist have you gone completely mad by saying nobody else could do the assist or are you had to many moonshines 

16 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Yes he maybe waning a little at 35, but we will see tomorrow when they play England, if Mbappe can create an assist and score a goal, as Messi just did tonight?       Over the past  15 year's  i find it extraordinary that anyone     could even consider challenging the fact that Messi,  has consistently been the world's best footballer?   As for my bet...........i am sticking with the England v Argentina final  thanks.  And when Mbappe has won 7 Ballon   D'or's, won the Champions League 4 times, scored 50 goals in one season and  earned countless other achievements, then i will consider him, up against Messi's record, but he does have youth on his side?   The only difference at the present time between Brazil and Argentina,  is that one of them is in a World Cup Semi-Final......and the other isn't? ?

Yes yes and after we beat the French we will see if Messi can up his game so we can spank them in the final

7 minutes ago, 2015 said:

But but but but Messi hasn't played in England and would he do it on a cold Tuesday night in Stoke ? 

I am grateful for Argentina for producing Messi and Maradona - two of the greatest of all time and that's pure natural talent.

You laugh but I genuinely think the fact Messi hasn’t proved himself in another country other than Spain is the one big question mark over his career for me.

I think the move to PSG to play in a bit of a joke league was a cowardly easy way out for Messi IMO. That’s why i have more admiration for Ronaldo, he still had the fire in his belly to come to England and test himself in the toughest league in the world again. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

You laugh but I genuinely think the fact Messi hasn’t proved himself in another country other than Spain is the one big question mark over his career for me.

I think the move to PSG to play in a bit of a joke league was a cowardly easy way out for Messi IMO. That’s why i have more admiration for Ronaldo, he still had the fire in his belly to come to England and test himself in the toughest league in the world again. 

Why would he leave Barcelona for though? He only left because they had to sell him and PSG offered him a contract so he went there, not his fault.

I base players on their ability and for me he has shown throughout his career he is the best player certainly in this era. The best dribbler, the best passer, the best assist maker, even the best goal scorer on his average goals per game. 

Basing a player on the League's they've played in and won you might aswell say Nicolas Anelka is up there with the best ?

14 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

He won it at PSG while doing absolutely nothing let’s be honest so it shows how bloody useless the Ballon d’or trophy is,as for the assist have you gone completely mad by saying nobody else could do the assist or are you had to many moonshines 

It was based on the 2020/2021 season when he ripped it up again for Barcelona and also won the Copa America with Argentina and was the Tournament's best player. Our media dont really cover La Liga and Copa America though so it's easy to miss these things. He was brilliant that season.

10 minutes ago, 2015 said:

It was based on the 2020/2021 season when he ripped it up again for Barcelona and also won the Copa America with Argentina and was the Tournament's best player. Our media dont really cover La Liga and Copa America though so it's easy to miss these things. He was brilliant that season.

Ahh that explains it,when Barca finished 3rd you mean,wouldn’t call that ripping it up but hey ho 

23 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Why would he leave Barcelona for though? He only left because they had to sell him and PSG offered him a contract so he went there, not his fault.

I base players on their ability and for me he has shown throughout his career he is the best player certainly in this era. The best dribbler, the best passer, the best assist maker, even the best goal scorer on his average goals per game. 

Basing a player on the League's they've played in and won you might aswell say Nicolas Anelka is up there with the best ?

I agree with you. I'm a huge Messi fan and I enjoy him more than Ronaldo. 

However, it is a fair criticism that he hasn't "done it" in the best league in the world (of late, that is definitely the Premier League) or Serie A. Ronaldo has conquered more leagues and obviously has more honours at international level too.

But ask me who I'd pay £50 to see play and it'd be Messi everytime. Been lucky enough to see him score a hatrick at Camp Nou in fact. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I agree with you. I'm a huge Messi fan and I enjoy him more than Ronaldo. 

However, it is a fair criticism that he hasn't "done it" in the best league in the world (of late, that is definitely the Premier League) or Serie A. Ronaldo has conquered more leagues and obviously has more honours at international level too.

But ask me who I'd pay £50 to see play and it'd be Messi everytime. Been lucky enough to see him score a hatrick at Camp Nou in fact. 

I honestly don’t think you can be classed as a great if you haven’t done it in at least 2 of the top 3 leagues,as annoying as Ronaldo is he has in all 3 and the best player ever in Maradona done it in 2(and won a World Cup almost single handed)

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

The same season Ronaldo scored 36 goals in 44 games in the Italian league which i think we all agree is a much harder league to score in 

Maybe in the 1980s and 1990s but not these days, Serie A is a much more attacking League than it used to be.

Still a hell of a goal return for Ronaldo, but Messi did the exact same and won his Country a major tournament that season. Look it's fine if you prefer Ronaldo he's an exceptional player too, but I personally don't for many reasons. I prefer Messi's style of play and I would rather watch him play any day. I think we are blessed to watch him every time he plays personally. His natural talent is something that comes around once in a generation in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

Maybe in the 1980s and 1990s but not these days, Serie A is a much more attacking League than it used to be.

Still a hell of a goal return for Ronaldo, but Messi did the exact same and won his Country a major tournament that season. Look it's fine if you prefer Ronaldo he's an exceptional player too, but I personally don't for many reasons. I prefer Messi's style of play and I would rather watch him play any day. I think we are blessed to watch him every time he plays personally. His natural talent is something that comes around once in a generation in my opinion.

I just hope unlike Ronaldo he knows when to call it a day a thing Ronaldo should have done maybe last season. 

4 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I honestly don’t think you can be classed as a great if you haven’t done it in at least 2 of the top 3 leagues,as annoying as Ronaldo is he has in all 3 and the best player ever in Maradona done it in 2(and won a World Cup almost single handed)

I agree, and doubtless Messi has had the opportunity to play in England as the money is here.

That said, I don't for a minute think he'd have been anything other than a massive success in the Prem. 

There is also a case that despite his goals at Juve, Ronaldo actually didn't make them any better and was actually a bit of a burden, as he has been in his second spell at United. 

• Like 1

Just now, pillred said:

I just hope unlike Ronaldo he knows when to call it a day a thing Ronaldo should have done maybe last season. 

Isn’t he off to America,that’s why Ronaldo decided to go to Saudi,he knew messi couldn’t beat his records,the small matter of 175 million a year was also a factor by all accounts 

• Like 2