IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

The more I watch tonight’s game (half-heartedly) the more I think we need rid of Southgate. 

We have the players, just not the game plan. I think the England cricketers have sussed it, be brave, bold and go for the jugular and attack. Go for it from the off, as the cricketers do.  

Don’t think  I can bear to watch another Maguire square pass in our own half to Stones, Stones square pass back to Maguire, Maguire backward pass to Stones ….. and so it goes on…..

Football has moved on. Southgate, I fear, hasn’t. 

4 minutes ago, RedRock said:

The more I watch tonight’s game (half-heartedly) the more I think we need rid of Southgate. 

We have the players, just not the game plan. I think the England cricketers have sussed it, be brave, bold and go for the jugular and attack. Go for it from the off, as the cricketers do.  

Don’t think  I can bear to watch another Maguire square pass in our own half to Stones, Stones square pass back to Maguire, Maguire backward pass to Stones ….. and so it goes on…..

I can see that if our players were armed with cricket bats they might stand a chance against Argentina.

6 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Argentina barely had an attack until they scored.

Just now, And Its Smith said:

Roy Keane, Gary Neville and Ian Wright say no penalty. Interesting.  OTIB clearly disagrees!

And the ref on there is adamant it’s a pen!

I still can’t see how it’s not a pen. If a defender slides in and misses the ball as the attacker nicks it past him, and then brings the attacker down then it’s a foul every time. What different for a keeper? 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Roy Keane, Gary Neville and Ian Wright say no penalty. Interesting.  OTIB clearly disagrees! Pundit ref says foul!

No foul for me. I’ve been saying this for ages; who initiated the contact? Keeper almost stationary and the forward runs into him. These are nearly always treated as deliberate body checks when frequently caused deliberately by the forward. Forwards often push the ball past a defender then run into them. They know they’ll get a free kick.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leveller said:

No foul for me. I’ve been saying this for ages; who initiated the contact? Keeper almost stationary and the forward runs into him. These are nearly always treated as deliberate body checks when frequently caused deliberately by the forward. Forwards often push the ball past a defender then run into them. They know they’ll get a free kick.

He doesn’t run into the keeper. It’s a coming together. 

I don’t agree that a penalty is the correct decision though. 

Edited by David Brent

8 minutes ago, Leveller said:

But by the rules of the game, it doesn't have to be deliberate. 

The 'keeper came to play the ball, missed and impeded the player instead. That is a foul.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, RedRock said:

A clear and obvious penalty …. to anyone but Argentina. The referee should have awarded a free kick to Croatia and sent the attacker off for simulation.

....and a 3 match ban for Bailey Wright!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

For me too! The fact that he came to play the ball is what makes it a yellow card, not a red. But it’s still a penalty. 

If two players collide, is it always a foul? And when did impeding become a foul rather than obstruction. Whatever happened to obstruction?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, italian dave said:

For me too! The fact that he came to play the ball is what makes it a yellow card, not a red. But it’s still a penalty. ...........

.......unless it's a goalie doing that against City!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

But by the rules of the game, it doesn't have to be deliberate. 

The 'keeper came to play the ball, missed and impeded the player instead. That is a foul.

If you are standing still (talking generally, not only in this case) and someone runs into you, you are impeding them - but it’s their fault not yours.

12 minutes ago, Leveller said:

If two players collide, is it always a foul? And when did impeding become a foul rather than obstruction. Whatever happened to obstruction?

Probably not, but most fouls involve a ‘collision’ of some sort. 

Take the first England penalty on Saturday. The French defender makes a genuine attempt to get the ball but Saka has nicked it past him. The defender certainly doesn’t then try to connect with Saka; if anything he tries to pull his leg back, but Saka ‘collides’ with it. He can’t avoid it. No-one suggested that wasn’t a pen. 

Indo agree with you that obstruction seems to have disappeared from the game though. 

Edited by italian dave

So, after a third Argie goal, back to England, as I can't get excited about this match now... what happened against France makes me just angry and disappointed about the 2020 final v Italy. THAT was our chance, despite the England team, squad, manager, tactics, etc, being better in 2022, we had such an easy run to the final in the Euro's, against an aging Italy team, and even took the lead. THAT is why I think Southgate has to go. He messed up the best chance this squad will ever get. France will be stronger in 2024...

6 minutes ago, Leveller said:

If you are standing still (talking generally, not only in this case) and someone runs into you, you are impeding them - but it’s their fault not yours.

"Standing still"? The keeper has charged out to play the ball. He has missed the ball, made himself big, and taken the forward out.

I just can't see what I'm missing that makes that ok?

• Like 3