IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

"Standing still"? The keeper has charged out to play the ball. He has missed the ball, made himself big, and taken the forward out.

I just can't see what I'm missing that makes that ok?

I’m talking more generally now. If, say, a winger pushes a ball past a stationary full back and then runs into him rather than round him, should that be a foul? It’s often given as a body check when the defender hasn’t moved to stop him.

4 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I’m talking more generally now. If, say, a winger pushes a ball past a stationary full back and then runs into him rather than round him, should that be a foul? It’s often given as a body check when the defender hasn’t moved to stop him.

I suppose you have to ask why would there be any situation where a defender is simply ‘stationary’. As in taking no part, just standing there, neutral: it just doesn’t happen, it’s a bit like the ‘interfering with play’ bit of the offside rule - generally, unless a player is yards away from play then they are interfering with play - if they’re not then why are they there!

I know what you mean though - especially when the attacker runs at the defender. But don’t think that happened tonight

Edited by italian dave

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Agree, that's generally not a foul. 

So, it’s basically down to one’s interpretation of the facts. You could argue that this is what happened here. The keeper stood in front of the forward who ran into him rather than round him. In my view many of these collisions aren’t fouls by either player, but they’re usually given as one, even if it’s hard to say that either player is to blame.

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I suppose you have to ask why would there be any situation where a defender is simply ‘stationary’. As in taking no part, just standing there, neutral: it just doesn’t happen, it’s a bit like the ‘interfering with play’ bit of the offside rule - generally, unless a player is yards away from play then they are interfering with play - if they’re not then why are they there!

I know what you mean though - especially when the attacker runs at the defender. But don’t think that happened tonight

I tend to disagree - defenders are often pretty stationary when forwards run at them with the ball.

28 minutes ago, Super said:

Croatia have done well to get this far. They were lucky against Brazil who will be kicking themselves still. Probably the end for Modric what a career he's had.

Still can’t believe Croatia made it past Brazil to be honest..

I thought they looked absolutely finished as a team when we beat them in the Euro’s, never did i think in a million years we would see them get to another semi-final but credit to them, a very resilient footballing country that has a population the same as Wales, it is hugely impressive what they have done on the world stage.

As for Argentina i am sorry but i cannot stand them, i would love either Morocco or France to beat them in the final.

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I tend to disagree - defenders are often pretty stationary when forwards run at them with the ball.

But they don’t just stand there, watching, inviting the attacker to run past them. They move into the line of the attackers run. They make themselves big. Their intent is to stop the attacker from progressing. If they’re not doing any of that then what are they doing? 

And - just as with sticking a foot out - once you do that and the attacker gets a touch and the defender doesn’t then any contact is likely to be a potential foul. 

There are times when the attacker (usually because they’ve nicked the ball a bit too far) seems to deliberately run into the defender, and then I’d agree with you. But I don’t think that happened with tonight’s pen. 

19 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Has Argentina taken the most fans this tournament? 

They've just rounded up the fans of the teams that have been eliminated and given them blue and white kit and face pain and free tickets for their games. :)

Apart from England fans that is!!

I really thought there would be more of a hug between Messi and Modric, those sort of players usually have a lot of respect for each other. If there was any doubt before this tournament, Messi has shown he is head an shoulders above Ronaldo or anyone else, even at 35 years of age.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I really thought there would be more of a hug between Messi and Modric, those sort of players usually have a lot of respect for each other. If there was any doubt before this tournament, Messi has shown he is head an shoulders above Ronaldo or anyone else, even at 35 years of age.

Modric was quick to get out there and shake every Argentine hand though, wasn’t he. Class. Unlike certain ‘superstars’ who sulk off down the tunnel. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, italian dave said:

But they don’t just stand there, watching, inviting the attacker to run past them. They move into the line of the attackers run. They make themselves big. Their intent is to stop the attacker from progressing. If they’re not doing any of that then what are they doing? 

And - just as with sticking a foot out - once you do that and the attacker gets a touch and the defender doesn’t then any contact is likely to be a potential foul. 

There are times when the attacker (usually because they’ve nicked the ball a bit too far) seems to deliberately run into the defender, and then I’d agree with you. But I don’t think that happened with tonight’s pen. 

I agree with the last bit. It was an accidental collision with no intent on either side.

Tin hat time. Whilst I appreciate this was a good piece of skill I'm not sure it deserves the absolute wankfest it's received on social media. I mean if it wasn't Messi would it be getting the same praise?! A big lumbering centre back getting out run then having a Cruyff turn and turned inside... (Yes yes I know he is 35 and a goat)

• Like 1