IGNORED

20 years ago today, 23rd November 2002. Mansfield Town 4 - 5 Bristol City.

Milton Red

On 23/11/2022 at 13:17, phantom said:

They certainly weren't the only ones there was lots of space in the stand when the winner went in

I know you said this in jest, but I always say I'd rather we score and I miss it, than be there and we didn't score

The pubs before the game were very lively, can remember absolute carnage with the locals in a pub and then walking to the ground

After the game was almost as lively

I have two memories, fainting when the winner went in and "coming around" with limbs flying all around me

@westred1being the city mascot that day was another highlight, always a great picture to unearth this time of the year

Was a quality day for 10 year old me!

Ashton Kate threatened me with walking home if we didn’t win… thank you Christian Roberts!

On 23/11/2022 at 11:20, One Team said:

In terms of how the game panned out, especially at the end, this must surely be one of our best away games ever?

I couldn’t go but listened to Radio Bristol, was just mental! 

Absolutely iconic game. 

Yes it would have been great to be there but it was just unbelievable listening to it on Radio Bristol. Listening to that will live with me forever.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, eardun said:

Yes it would have been great to be there but it was just unbelievable listening to it on Radio Bristol. Listening to that will live with me forever.

My dad listened toit on the radio, but he switched it off in anger when they went 4-2 up. He didn’t know the result until I got home from the game later that evening and phoned him. 

On 23/11/2022 at 21:22, GrahamC said:

What a truly mad player Christian Roberts was, seemingly either brilliant or awful, with pretty much no in between.

Fairly sure he scored a hat trick up at Barnsley when he was just unplayable.

Always seemed to score at Ninian Park against “his” team & of course that iconic Hartlepool goal.

He had no control of the ball it would hit his foot and he would run after it didn't stop being a star and a Hero

4 hours ago, eardun said:

Tried to find this by Googling 'BBC Bristol Mansfield'. An altogether different but equally thrilling event keeps coming up circa 2014

• Haha 2

What a truly mad player Christian Roberts was, seemingly either brilliant or awful, with pretty much no in between.

Always seemed to score at Ninian Park against “his” team & of course that iconic Hartlepool goal.

It was a 'perfect' hat trick against Barnsley, left foot, right foot and header. All on the day before my 18th birthday too!

His book goes s long way to explaining why this is the csse. Think the most used word in it is Stella.