IGNORED

Best Albums of 2022

Kid in the Riot

Looking forward to people's recommendations for this year as I feel there's probably quite a few very good albums I haven't got around to listening to yet.

My list starts with the same artist from my 2021 list, just a shame the lead singer left shortly after releasing the album and so the band never toured it:

Black Country, New Road - Ants From Up There

Jockstrap - I Love You Jennifer B

The Smile - A Light For Attracting Attention

Fontaines DC - Skinty Fia

Danger Mouse & Black Thought - Cheat Codes

Alvvays - Blue Rev

Spoon - Lucifer On The Sofa

Kendrick Lemar - Mr Morale & The Big Steppers

Gwenno - Tresor

Link to last year's thread here: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

Trying to work out what "new" albums I've bought this year. Got a fair few from charity shops & discount buys on Amazon, so not many.

NK Pop - Paul Heaton & Jackie Abbott 
Angel & Queens - The Gabriels
The Voltarol years - HMHB
Change the show - Miles Kane
Dear Scott - Michael Head and the red elastic band -
FTHC - Frank Turner -
Outside looking in - Stone Foundation -
Will of the people - Paul Weller

The stand outs for me?
Really like the Gabriels, Stone Foundation is good (some Talking Heads moments) and of course HMHB.
The Weller album is a collection , so if you like him it's very good, if you don't? Not so much.
Only just got the Michael Head Album, needs more time.
Miles Kane doesn't have the big feel/anthem/sing along at first couple of listens. Another that might grow on me, TBF it wasn't until I saw him live that I went back and got his 2nd & 3rd albums.

As someone who has never stopped following the career of Elvis Costello, in my opinion The Boy Named If is amongst his finest ever work, which at 67 is pretty good going.

Skinty Fia - Fontaines DC

Seven Psalms - Nick Cave and Warren Ellis

N-K-Pop - Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott

Yungblud -Yungblud

Edited by Port Said Red

On 30/11/2022 at 13:52, Kid in the Riot said:

Looking forward to people's recommendations for this year as I feel there's probably quite a few very good albums I haven't got around to listening to yet.

My list starts with the same artist from my 2021 list, just a shame the lead singer left shortly after releasing the album and so the band never toured it:

Black Country, New Road - Ants From Up There

Jockstrap - I Love You Jennifer B

The Smile - A Light For Attracting Attention

Fontaines DC - Skinty Fia

Danger Mouse & Black Thought - Cheat Codes

Alvvays - Blue Rev

Spoon - Lucifer On The Sofa

Kendrick Lemar - Mr Morale & The Big Steppers

Gwenno - Tresor

Link to last year's thread here: 

Cheat Codes is a brilliant album 

• Thanks 1

Might have missed something out but I reckon my top 5 in no particular order are the albums released this year by…

Big Thief - 8/9 tunes I love on this

Black Country New Road (gutted will never see this live, hope main fella is doing well though since leaving)

Kendrick - sounded good anyway, then Glasto performance cemented it for me. Wow! 

Wet Leg - felt like everyone was waiting to write them off as one hit wonders but the album delivered. Catchy and really good fun 

Danger Mouse / Black Thoughts - heard a track or two on radio that peaked interest , whole album ace 

some honourable mentions for Yard act, jockstrap , Gabriel’s 

I reckon I maybe have missed loads this year so will try and check out some ideas here and in the album of the year lists. Meta critic do a good one compiling across all the mainstream reviewers

• Like 1

Some really good albums this year… and some great gigs too (Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Fontaine DC, Gorillaz and Kendrick the highlights for live music). Top albums for me:

1. Denzel Curry - Melt my Eyez See Your Future

2. Gilla Band - Most Normal

3. Yard Act - The Overload

4. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Cool it Down

5. Kendrick Lamar - Mr Morale…

6. Fontaines DC - Skinty Fia 

7. Loyle Carner - Hugo

8. Jamie T - The Theory of Whatever 

9. Dry Cleaning - Stumpwork

10. Leftfield - This is what we do

Edited by Red Rum
  • Like 3

On 30/11/2022 at 21:03, Norn Iron said:

The Amazons 

How Will I Know If Heaven Will Find Me?

What an amazing guitar band and what an album.

Never heard of them so bought their debut album after reading your post above (was cheap so nowt to lose). Must say I am somewhat impressed.

Ta for the heads up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigTone said:

Never heard of them so bought their debut album after reading your post above (was cheap so nowt to lose). Must say I am somewhat impressed.

Ta for the heads up.

Very welcome Big T. I hadn't heard of them until they were on Sky's Isle of Wight Festival and got rave reviews. I promptly ordered the new album which was released in September. They played Belfast Limelight (450 max capacity) in October. Highlight of the year musically and the fact I was able to go with our son. For a 60+ year old standing right at the front with our son made it extra spesh! 

I think Black Magic is on the first album? What an absolute better live. Seeing everybody jump together at the end is fab. 

Wait till you hear the new album. Wow!

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

Very welcome Big T. I hadn't heard of them until they were on Sky's Isle of Wight Festival and got rave reviews. I promptly ordered the new album which was released in September. They played Belfast Limelight (450 max capacity) in October. Highlight of the year musically and the fact I was able to go with our son. For a 60+ year old standing right at the front with our son made it extra spesh! 

I think Black Magic is on the first album? What an absolute better live. Seeing everybody jump together at the end is fab. 

Wait till you hear the new album. Wow!

It is indeed on the album I have. Will be buying another one very soon.

• Like 1

I didn't discover any unknown gems last year but my two favourite albums of 2022 would be:

The Smile - A Light For Attracting Attention. Thom and Jonny from Radiohead doing their their thing and still churning out great music with a unique sound. The bassline in The Smoke is hypnotic and earwormy, there's a post-punk banger on there and the usual beautiful melancholy. I saw them live and they were incredible, and ended with a couple of songs that surprisingly and delightingly had a real Stone Roses strut.

Foals - Life Is Yours. I've always liked their sound but was concerned that after their brilliant first two albums they were doing a Kings of Leon and converting to a popular arena-rock band. Pleasingly they seem to have listened to a bit of Nile Rogers and funked up their vibe. I took a few listens to be convinced but now I think it's a really strong album with some great riffs and melodies.

On 09/12/2022 at 19:46, Red Rum said:

9. Dry Cleaning - Stumpwork

You had a few beauts on your list but I'm glad you included Dry Cleaning because I'm really into them and saw them at Glastonbury. They make no sense as a band. It simply shouldn't work; the wild guitar riffs, the deadpan vocals, the cut and paste everyday lyrics, but since hearing Scratchcard Lanyard I've just been drawn in to the point that I was delighted to see them live. 

• Like 1

On 06/01/2023 at 21:36, mozo said:

You had a few beauts on your list but I'm glad you included Dry Cleaning because I'm really into them and saw them at Glastonbury. They make no sense as a band. It simply shouldn't work; the wild guitar riffs, the deadpan vocals, the cut and paste everyday lyrics, but since hearing Scratchcard Lanyard I've just been drawn in to the point that I was delighted to see them live. 

I saw them supporting Yeah Yeah Yeahs at Brixton Academy back in June - hadn’t really heard them before then but thought they were brilliant. They actually sounded heavier live but have really got into both the albums since then.

• Like 1