IGNORED

1,800 football followers injured last season

Never to the dark side

3 minutes ago, Selred said:

Slips, trips and falls led to about a third of all injuries.

I bet there are more injuries in garden centre's than at football. 

Less likely to be injured celebrating (6%), hit by a football (4%) or by a flare (1%) at a garden centre though! 

But I agree with the point you’re making: 1800 injuries among 34m people doing any sort of activity for two hours on a Saturday - it would be interesting to see some context as I wouldn’t mind betting that going to football is relatively safe. 

• Like 1

The BBC is being over-dramatic for clicks but the Sports Ground Safety Association research does make a great deal of sense because it will identify any hotspots in injuries at particular grounds.

I saw City at an evening game in the crumbling ruins of Brighton's Goldstone ground in the mid-90s. The concrete terraces were falling apart and a Health & Safety officer's nightmare. I bet there were a lot of trip injuries happening there.

It was also the last time I had the delightful experience of finding the whole toilet floor swimming in half an inch of piss and being very grateful that I was wearing my Docs and not trainers.

• Like 3

Quite a bizarre topic for the BBC to cover, must be that combination of no Prem, no England joy and pre Christmas?

Collecting data for serious injuries (I guess you have to collect it all to do that..) is worth doing but the 1% which includes asthma is odd as that must be a pre-condition? The fact it may be triggered at a match shouldn’t be a reason to include it as it can be triggered by so many known everyday things so why go if you think it’ll happen and you need to report it. 

• Like 2

Not to make light of it, spectator health is very important of course.

But 'hurt while celebrating' did make me smile. My Dad injured his back recently and when we were watching City and we scored I'd be a mix of celebrating like a loon and making sure he stayed still to protect his back. He never did but got away with it thankfully!

• Haha 1
  • Robin 1

Should be put into perspective by noting how many people attend each season - and by quoting comparative figures.

I guess the point made isn't "football grounds are dangerous" but "football grounds are pretty safe" as the quoted comment says.

Not so, back in the day. I was at a game at White Hart Lane in the early 80s, where a crowd surge carried me about 100 yards from where I had been standing. I'm a tall person, but was literally swept off my feet.  My matchday companion was less lucky, fell in the surge, and had multiple people stand on his head. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Should be put into perspective by noting how many people attend each season - and by quoting comparative figures.

I guess the point made isn't "football grounds are dangerous" but "football grounds are pretty safe" as the quoted comment says.

Not so, back in the day. I was at a game at White Hart Lane in the early 80s, where a crowd surge carried me about 100 yards from where I had been standing. I'm a tall person, but was literally swept off my feet.  My matchday companion was less lucky, fell in the surge, and had multiple people stand on his head. 

It was really dangerous.

As Nick Hornby said Heysel and then Hillsborough were always going to happen at some point because of sloping terraces without adequate barriers and excited crowds surging forwards meaning that people towards the front were at the mercy of the people pushing forward behind.

5 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It was really dangerous.

As Nick Hornby said Heysel and then Hillsborough were always going to happen at some point because of sloping terraces without adequate barriers and excited crowds surging forwards meaning that people towards the front were at the mercy of the people pushing forward behind.

I suppose we were at less risk of that in 80s Ashton Gate! :laughcont:

Actually, being serious, the injuries I sustained most often from football matches here were cigarette burns, as inevitably in the crush to get out, some divot would walk along holding their lit fag at waist height. Happened at Ashton Court Festival once to my niece when she was young, but the miscreant suffered a rather worse injury when instead of apologising to us, he decided to swear in front of a four-year-old.  

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

7 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It was really dangerous.

It didn`t take me long to realise that you stood in front of a barrier and not behind it when a big crowd was in.

• Like 4

I banged my shin climbing over the seats in the dolman about ten years ago. Tiny knock, absolute barsteward pain. So obviously dodgy leg to begin with and was probably going to happen at some point regardless. I've never recovered properly.

There was also the time I started to feel the effects of the noro (or similar) virus just before leaving for the game (and not realsiing what it was). Steadily got worse during the game, how I avoided a seroius incident I don't know. Luckily only a short bowels clenched (as far as you can) walk (if you can call it that) home. Great weight loss followed over the next three days ?

Edited by Sleepy1968

There is a salient point in that piece having just skimread it.

The flak and controversy surrounding the medical emergency v Swansea in late October.

It may have been technically correct after all- granted the outright right thing to do probably would have been to stop the game, but technically speaking?

Possibly a split decision between stadium safety officer and referee?

Screenshot_20221220-200457_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7fd344696387fae611b926f3a202a3d7.jpg

Edited by Mr Popodopolous