IGNORED

World Team Cup being introduced...

spudski

What is the constant need to always change things? Football and its tournaments are absolutely great as they are and over the last 30 years is the main reason why Football globally has got even bigger.

There is no need to make changes to the club or international format, it will diminish the quality which imo has already showed at the World Cup this year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, spudski said:

More crap from FIFA 

So, “The 32-team tournament will go ahead, making it like a World Cup.”

Has he forgotten that the next World Cup is going to be 48 teams? Think there’s already too much football, our various cups have already lost their significance/importance, well to me anyway! Seems to be the same with all sports I enjoy, as there’s now too much horse racing, cricket and now football!

Yes, I’m a grumpy old git! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, 2015 said:

What is the constant need to always change things? Football and its tournaments are absolutely great as they are and over the last 30 years is the main reason why Football globally has got even bigger.

There is no need to make changes to the club or international format, it will diminish the quality which imo has already showed at the World Cup this year.

Cash money.

But I agree with you.

24 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Sure, but you could argue that even in that 30 years or so there was a fair amount of change which is what did that, no?

Since 1990 the premier league was introduced, the format of the Champion's League changed, multiple teams per country allowed in the Champion's League, qualification changes to basically all big cups, Cup Winners Cup ditched, World Cup went to 32 teams, and more...

There are constant changes to the formats, some for better some for worse. I don't think we should ignore change for changes sake... if football has got even bigger you could argue that's because of the changes made which is why they keep wanting to make more!

• Like 1

Just now, IAmNick said:

Sure, but you could argue that even in that 30 years or so there was a fair amount of change which is what did that, no?

Since 1990 the premier league was introduced, the format of the Champion's League changed, multiple teams per country allowed in the Champion's League, qualification changes to basically all big cups, Cup Winners Cup ditched, World Cup went to 32 teams, and more...

There are constant changes to the formats, some for better some for worse. I don't think we should ignore change for changes sake... if football has got even bigger you could argue that's because of the changes made which is why they keep wanting to make more!

If it aint broke, there is no need to fix it. 
-The change from 24 to 32 teams at a World Cup was understandable. Adding 8 more sides to that competition isn't much and never diminished the quality, it stopped the best 3rd placed sides from going through and thus encouraged sides to be more attacking in World Cup Group games. It also didn't impact the format too much - you still had a round of 16, quarter final etc. Now they want to change it to 48 teams with 16 groups of 3 and this is seen as a step forward in the direction? I'm sorry but it looks awful and sounds awful, to me.
-UEFA changed Euros from 16 to 24 teams for 2016 and again the quality of that Tournament has gone downhill massively since that change. Too many sides qualifying who are just not good enough. Qualifying for a major tournament has to feel like something that is rare and a hard achievement to gain. Unfortunately when you have half of Europe qualifying for a Euros it doesn't feel that way.
-The Champions League was the best format they changed in 1992 and has easily become the biggest club competition in the world and produced some fantastic matches over the years because of the infrequency the top clubs play each other. Now they want to change that in 2024 as well. Why? Money.

Football doesn't need any more changes

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, 2015 said:

-The change from 24 to 32 teams at a World Cup was understandable. Adding 8 more sides to that competition isn't much and never diminished the quality, it stopped the best 3rd placed sides from going through and thus encouraged sides to be more attacking in World Cup Group games. It also didn't impact the format too much - you still had a round of 16, quarter final etc. Now they want to change it to 48 teams with 16 groups of 3 and this is seen as a step forward in the direction? I'm sorry but it looks awful and sounds awful, to me.
-UEFA changed Euros from 16 to 24 teams for 2016 and again the quality of that Tournament has gone downhill massively since that change. Too many sides qualifying who are just not good enough. Qualifying for a major tournament has to feel like something that is rare and a hard achievement to gain. Unfortunately when you have half of Europe qualifying for a Euros it doesn't feel that way.
-The Champions League was the best format they changed in 1992 and has easily become the biggest club competition in the world and produced some fantastic matches over the years because of the infrequency the top clubs play each other. Now they want to change that in 2024 as well. Why? Money.

I'd also like to add, when do the changes stop -  Is it going to be a 2nd tier World Cup in 2045? Is it going to be a 98 team World Cup by 2060? 

There seriously needs to be regulations and caps on these sorts of changes to protect to quality and the beauty of the game. It isn't because I don't want there to be a change it's because I love Football for how it is and has been for the last 30 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

I agree. Generally the group games were pretty boring. Will give them a swerve next world cup particularly as there will be more if them.

37 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I'd also like to add, when do the changes stop -  Is it going to be a 2nd tier World Cup in 2045? Is it going to be a 98 team World Cup by 2060? 

There seriously needs to be regulations and caps on these sorts of changes to protect to quality and the beauty of the game. It isn't because I don't want there to be a change it's because I love Football for how it is and has been for the last 30 years.

Don’t worry about it.Wont half the world be under water by 2060 so it will probably be a 32 team World Cup and we won’t be here to see it anyrate 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

Money 

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

I agree with you, I don't like the changes you mention - I'm just saying there's a contradiction if you say it's been fine, but they're also making changes and it's growing more than ever. Maybe it would have grown as much (or more!) without the changes they've made, we don't know.

• Like 1

The sooner football cleans up its act the better. All this is is an elitist money making excercise that has absolutely nothing to do with the game or its fans. There is already too much football, you only have to listen to every top level manager and coach to know this irrespective of muscle injuries and additional fatigue. The domestic competitions will suffer or the elite clubs buy even more players and have squads for all competitions. Rediculous.

A better idea would be to get rid of FIFA.

7 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Don’t worry about it.Wont half the world be under water by 2060 so it will probably be a 32 team World Cup and we won’t be here to see it anyrate 

............then it will be a 32 team waterpolo world cup!

I agree with all of the above plus one other point. It messes with history. Whenever a team, or a player achieve something special, or beats a record there are always the comments that it wasn't as great an achievement as in the 70s or 90s, as its a different game or format now. For instance Wayne Rooney or Harry Kane becoming Englands top scorer simply because they play twice as many matches as Bobby Charlton or Tom Finney.

Or a club winning the Champions League/European Cup always get the comment " Well when so and so won it , it was a straight knockout tournament, you wouldn't have won it then". Was Wayne Rooney better than Charlton? Yes it was a different game then but it would be nice if all comparisons could be made on an equal playing field.

Just seem that FIFA are jealous of the money the Champions League make and want in on it. Just don’t see how this new thing fits in to any calendar.

As for the World Cup, it might be splitting hairs but it already a 190 team World Cup (or whatever the number is). Every one of those teams has the opportunity to qualify for the actual finals. 32 is already a lot, but in fairness it has kind of worked. There will always be more votes to extend it fairly obviously, as most of those who do not qualify will prefer increasing the numbers.  It does need somewhere someone will need to say ‘nope, no further’. Logically that is UEFA.

22 hours ago, 2015 said:

Said it on another thread before and got shouted down about the implications but I still firmly believe its about time all the top National federations in Europe come together and breakaway from FIFA. They are hell bent on ruining the sport for money

I'm pretty sure those National Federations are also hellbent on ruining the sport for money, it'll just be ruined in their image instead. 

Clubs will walk away from UEFA before UEFA leave FIFA. For all the blatant corruption of  FIFA , the game has grown globally meaning the influence of UEFA and Conmebol has waned. They no longer dominate and good thing too.   It's a global game.

FIFA moving into club football with the Super league still bubbling away is a sign.

The world cup is expanding largely because those 2 confederations wouldn't give up final spots to Africa and Asia.  

23 hours ago, 2015 said:

Said it on another thread before and got shouted down about the implications but I still firmly believe its about time all the top National federations in Europe come together and breakaway from FIFA. They are hell bent on ruining the sport for money

Clearly that won’t happen under new management! 

Gonna go against the trend here. 
I personally really like the idea. 
But with the caveat that it’s equally shared amongst all federations and isn’t dominated by european teams. 
We already see plenty of the Barca’s vs Liverpool, Madrids vs Manchesters etc. 

Needs to consist of an even distribution of clubs from all continents. 

Who doesn’t want to see Man City taking on River Plate, Liverpool vs Flamengo, Arsenal vs Casablanca etc. 

I’d love it. 
Of course, I agree that there’s a lot of football, but surely there can be room made for what could be a superb intercontinental tournament. Regular competitive matches pitting the best of each continent. What’s not to love. It’s the one thing that is missing in world football. 

Edited by Harry