IGNORED

I was right

Davefevs

23 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I don’t blame Eltrigham for this, needs a rule change, but shortly after that another Stoke player went down clutching his head, so play was stopped (when we were in possession) and another 30 seconds wasted - but because the player insisted he didn’t need the physio he was allowed to get up and continue.

If a player goes down with a head injury and/or it’s serious enough to stop play then the physio should come on automatically. 

They should have a madatory off pitch assessment and not be allowed back on for at least 5 minutes. That'll stop the play acting.

• Like 2

The referee yesterday was dreadful, as he usually is. My main problems were as follows:

1. The guy was clearly unfit. He was happy to stop the game in the last 30 minutes at any opportunity because quite simply he was knackered. On the odd occasion the game developed/transitioned at any pace greater than a jog he really struggled.  

2. As previously pointed out, he frequently turned his back on play at goal kicks, free kicks etc to run to the centre spot at which stage he would turn round. This was a major problem in the last 30 minutes as he had no idea what was going on behind him. He then ended up running back to where he started to deal with stuff which he could have easily seen if jogging backwards. He ended up contributing to the time wasting. 

3. The first 60 mins was an easy game to ref as not much was happening. He seemed happy to let a few things go which I thought was fair enough-as long as he was consistent. When the game needed refereeing and managing in the last 30 minutes he showed what he is-an incompetent and sub-standard referee.  The only thing consistent was his ineptitude.  

His level of refereeing is appalling and quick frankly an embarrassment to the championship.

• Like 2

In the last 20 minutes of normal time, the ball was in play for 8 minutes and 50 seconds. 
There was 5 minutes added, but in total he added 6 mins 20 seconds. 
Of that 6:20, the ball was in play for 1 minute 50. 

In total, the final 26 mins 20 seconds of play, only 10 mins 40 seconds were actually played. 40% in play, 60% dead. 

Alex Neill really knows how to close a game doesn’t he! Helped along of course by refereeing ineptitude. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 17/12/2022 at 23:53, BigAl&Toby said:

No @Davefevs

Yawn. Here he goes again. How about you @BTRFTG You enjoy the game?

As you ask we'd say we're glad we didn't bother to drive down simply to fill our paid for seats and there were one or two positive passages of play first half, save overall the game was further example of the squad we have not being good enough (and that includes some who folks think superstars in the making and who, God willing, some mugs will offer stupid money for during the upcoming window.) We again conceded two unnecessary, wholly avoidable goals. But we do that most weeks so presume those on the park either don't consider them unavoidable else lack talent to influence the game. (To the quick, it's the latter.)

Folks love to blame the officials, who weren't great , but weren't that bad and were not the reason we lost. I'm sure Stoke fans rate them awful too for allowing the likes of  Weimann, Scott & Semenyo to remain on the park despite their non-stop cheating.

Funny old game....

• Confused 1

On 18/12/2022 at 14:17, Dr Balls said:

Was saying the same yesterday to my friend. In rugby, taking someone out in the air is considered dangerous play and a red card offence. In football, certainly  at Championship level, it often doesn’t even get given as a foul - unless of course it’s a goalkeeper, who can’t be touched at all it seems. Certainly seems to be double standards and one of the areas where I think the game could do a lot better, safer and more consistent.

Good point though competing in the air in Rugby has a history of causing neck and head injuries hence the rule. Because rugby players are using their hands to either catch or tackle, they are in greater danger as they could be in the position of not being able to use their hands to cushion a landing.   The main danger in football is of a clash of head. 

In Rugby, there is much less of a focus on the player's intentions.  The responsibility is on the individual player to ensure the the safety of his opponent.  If his opponent is getting to the ball first , he shouldn't challenge in the air, but should wait for them to land before tackling.  You can compete in the air but it has to be a fair competition.  

• Like 1

On 20/12/2022 at 00:17, Harry said:

In the last 20 minutes of normal time, the ball was in play for 8 minutes and 50 seconds. 

In total, the final 26 mins 20 seconds of play, only 10 mins 40 seconds were actually played. 40% in play, 60% dead. 

Alex Neill really knows how to close a game doesn’t he! Helped along of course by refereeing ineptitude. 

That's mental and frankly a disgrace.  These sort of stats should be foremost when measuring a referee's performance.  Less than 30% of the ball in play in injury time is a joke.

• Thanks 1

On 20/12/2022 at 00:17, Harry said:

Again we love to blame the officials but as Disraeli reminded statistics aren't always to be trusted. In an average football match the ball is in play for just over an hour. Its in play longer in the first half than second. Segment by 5 minute periods and, unsurprisingly, the ball remains in play less the later the game progresses. Note neither Law 15 nor 16 state the maximum time allowed for play to restart. 15 secs is standard but officials tend not to act until its double that.

So of the 4 1/2 minutes lost in additional time it only requires 9 incidents to occur; foul, throw-in, corner, goal kick or substitution, which is pretty much par for the course as gamblers in those markets will attest.

And whilst we might look to blame Stoke the likes of Semenyo, Sykes & Weimann didn't exactly do their best to control and keep the ball in play.

On 21/12/2022 at 09:47, Charlie BCFC said:

He also didn’t give one where a QPR defender attempted some WWE move on Scott

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a more blatent penalty turned down, in all my years of watching City games.

It's a penalty, definite a yellow card, and probably only just on the safe side of a rec card.

Davies was abs9olutley terrible that night.

He even managed to better his time up at PNE.

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Again we love to blame the officials but as Disraeli reminded statistics aren't always to be trusted. In an average football match the ball is in play for just over an hour. Its in play longer in the first half than second. Segment by 5 minute periods and, unsurprisingly, the ball remains in play less the later the game progresses. Note neither Law 15 nor 16 state the maximum time allowed for play to restart. 15 secs is standard but officials tend not to act until its double that.

So of the 4 1/2 minutes lost in additional time it only requires 9 incidents to occur; foul, throw-in, corner, goal kick or substitution, which is pretty much par for the course as gamblers in those markets will attest.

And whilst we might look to blame Stoke the likes of Semenyo, Sykes & Weimann didn't exactly do their best to control and keep the ball in play.

Not blaming the ref per sé.

Just find it interesting that a team can be so proficient at closing out a game. 

Yes, average ball in play times are around 60 mins. That’s 2/3rds of the 90 mins. The Stoke game saw 40% in play time for the last 20 mins + added time. 
I thought at the time that it was a really low percentage. Hence why I went back and looked. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not blaming the ref per sé.

Just find it interesting that a team can be so proficient at closing out a game. 

Yes, average ball in play times are around 60 mins. That’s 2/3rds of the 90 mins. The Stoke game saw 40% in play time for the last 20 mins + added time. 
I thought at the time that it was a really low percentage. Hence why I went back and looked. 

See table above Harr.  Shocking really.