IGNORED

ADAM BAKER

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Indeed it was - Nige was asked about why Atkinson wasn’t in the squad and he gave a straight answer! That’s not throwing anyone under the bus at all.

No idea what Adam Baker was on about - maybe he has an axe to grind with BCFC…………:cool2:

Maybe a bit bitter than since his departure our media team has excelled? 

3 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Is this the same Ali Durden I heard recently on R. Bristol claiming the Gas are hugely supported and have a famous following?

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I think Durden is a good journalist myself but there appears some unwritten rule in the local media to big Rovers up (blue “half” of Bristol myth) & repeat their lies, though I doubt that he actually said “hugely supported”.

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

And again, as usual huge support for Rovers on their travels.

I think they must think we're all thick or something.

Yes, he's been around a long time and he does his job,  but bigging up Rovers is something he really likes to do, believe me.

It would be interesting to know if he does actually favour any of the Bristol sides.

He does what he has to do to have as "quiet" a working life as he can. If he actually "tells it like it is" in Bristol, he'll just have them squealing at him and one or two threatening to burn his house down, or something. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Non-Disclosure Agreement

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just a bloke having a go.  I’m sure he will be pretty pally with Ali Durden too.  Ali is pretty good in fairness, not sure it was rude or he’s been rude in interviews for a while now.  Rich Forrester (Bristol City Online) had a tough start with Nige but has gradually built rapport.

For years we wanted someone to give us honest answers.  We now get them, and we don’t like it.

As above. After Years of LJ dopple bollox. That Baker said nothing of! 

The bloke is manager and tells it the way he sees it, as he did with Leicester, some of those interview responses make that nursery standard by comparison!

Im sure Mr Baker did have something of a non compete (NDA is something different really but that’s splitting hairs)

Adam Baker like others is entitled to state any opinion he likes providing he is not being paid not to! If he chooses to say something in support of Mr Durden that’s fine, but it makes Durden look like a cry baby and doesn’t help him journalisticly as nothing was directed at Durden. Baker really should have shut up, but I support his right to make his mate look like a big girls blouse. Free speech is a great thing  

However

Clearly Atkinson has pissed Pearson, somehow, off at some point during the World Cup period and Pearson doesn’t care who knows it. Particularly Atkinson. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Let’s be honest. How many people on the forum would look forward to interviewing NP after a City defeat? It would be worse than some of crackpot challenges on I’m a (nearly) Celebrity Get me Our Of Here 

Exactly this. It sounds a lot easier than it is. Ali has done stints on 5 Live, he's a very good journalist. Why does he go softly-softly on the King question? Because it's after a defeat and Pearson can be volatile. Why doesn't he then push it? Because Pearson clearly doesn't want to go into more detail than "it's about trust".

I don't think Nigel's made Ali look bad with his attitude though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonWalker said:

Exactly this. It sounds a lot easier than it is. Ali has done stints on 5 Live, he's a very good journalist. Why does he go softly-softly on the King question? Because it's after a defeat and Pearson can be volatile. Why doesn't he then push it? Because Pearson clearly doesn't want to go into more detail than "it's about trust".

Pearson goes into interviews with an idea of what he wants to say. Like about the poor referees for example. 

Pearson clearly wanted to talk about Atkinson yet Ali failed to ask him about him so Pearson had to push him himself to get him to ask about him so Pearson could say what he wanted to say about Atkinson. Poor journalism imo because he struggled to get information out of Pearson that Pearson was willing to give and even when Pearson was very open to talking about it, Ali then failed to get him to elaborate or even ask further questions. 

• Like 1

I think in isolation it would be fine, you could put it down to him being in a bad mood, but for some Pearson's reputation will precede him. It's not that long ago where he had that episode when trying to belittle a journalist, before being absolutely put in his place by Pat Murphy. Of course in some cases it may be justified, but Ali Durden has never struck me as anything other than a pretty fair and easy going interviewer, and we don't really know what's happened off camera or in previous interviews either.

I'm a fan of Nige, and I'm grateful that he says things as they are. That doesn't mean you need to try to put down people who are just doing their job. But I will agree with some in that if this is literally the only instance of it, the reaction is definitely overkill.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nebristolred said:

I think in isolation it would be fine, you could put it down to him being in a bad mood, but for some Pearson's reputation will precede him. It's not that long ago where he had that episode when trying to belittle a journalist, before being absolutely put in his place by Pat Murphy. Of course in some cases it may be justified, but Ali Durden has never struck me as anything other than a pretty fair and easy going interviewer, and we don't really know what's happened off camera or in previous interviews either.

I'm a fan of Nige, and I'm grateful that he says things as they are. That doesn't mean you need to try to put down people who are just doing their job. But I will agree with some in that if this is literally the only instance of it, the reaction is definitely overkill.

So am I.

I like any manager who has an ‘edge’. They’re usually very honest to the point of being blunt and Nige fits well into that department.

He’s 100% a football man and can get irritated by non football journalists asking naive questions - just as SoD did who as we know was far more difficult to interview than Nige is.

I get that pressers and post match reactions are an integral part of any managers remit and that Nige has certainly in the past made life difficult for journalists but personally I don’t have the slightest problem with that.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

So am I.

I like any manager who has an ‘edge’. They’re usually very honest to the point of being blunt and Nige fits well into that department.

He’s 100% a football man and can get irritated by non football journalists asking naive questions - just as SoD did who as we know was far more difficult to interview than Nige is.

I get that pressers and post match reactions are an integral part of any managers remit and that Nige has certainly in the past made life difficult for journalists but personally I don’t have the slightest problem with that.

A proper manager does not continue to select his mates to the detriment of the club.

Clueless, time to go

• Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, frenchred said:

A proper manager does not continue to select his mates to the detriment of the club.

Clueless, time to go

You don’t seem to understand what Nige is actually saying Frenchfred. 

Any manager will tell you that he has to trust any player to deliver on the pitch and in Nige’s eyes Atkinson has not delivered what the manager wants.

Having worked with King previously Nige knows what level of performance he’ll get from him - he trusts him to deliver and why he played him ahead of Atkinson.

However the paid City pundit doesn’t agree - https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/nigel-pearsons-lack-responsibility-divides-7944515

40 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Any manager will tell you that he has to trust any player to deliver on the pitch and in Nige’s eyes Atkinson has not delivered what the manager wants.

Having worked with King previously Nige knows what level of performance he’ll get from him - he trusts him to deliver and why he played him ahead of Atkinson.

However the paid City pundit doesn’t agree - https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/nigel-pearsons-lack-responsibility-divides-7944515

Absolute tosh.

Atkinson hasn’t been that bad this season (we’ve actually seen some v good performances). Don’t care what’s happened in training but as my post above says, Pearson’s stubbornness is making us lose games.

This trust chat is a load of nonsense. We’re not talking about who you trust to be a reliable person we’re talking about who you trust to defend effectively at centre half in the Championship. The fact that Pearson thinks King is a valid, sustained option there says it all.

”Look how bad my 2 centre half’s (that I signed) are - I’m going to have to play trustworthy Andy King there instead. That will work.”

• Like 2

6 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Pearson goes into interviews with an idea of what he wants to say. Like about the poor referees for example. 

Pearson clearly wanted to talk about Atkinson yet Ali failed to ask him about him so Pearson had to push him himself to get him to ask about him so Pearson could say what he wanted to say about Atkinson. Poor journalism imo because he struggled to get information out of Pearson that Pearson was willing to give and even when Pearson was very open to talking about it, Ali then failed to get him to elaborate or even ask further questions. 

I wouldn't call him very open. He tells Ali he's not asking the right question, then when he asks directly why Atkinson isn't in the squad, gives what to me comes across as quite a smart Alec retort, which beyond stating the bleeding obvious certainly isn't insightful. 

"Why's Rob Atkinson not in the squad?"

"Because other players are ahead of him. Simple as that. There you go."

Even when pressed further, he will only mention trust, and then talk indirectly about players not being selected rather than Atkinson in particular.

If he genuinely had any intention of answering the question he'd tried to cajole Ali into asking, he definitely would've done it with those two answers.

Edited by RonWalker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Being a Journo can be a political role, many over the years have been banned, ostracised and ignored for perceived slights on a Manager or Club. Some then go the other way and try and make it easy for the Manager or you end up getting boring inane questions. Pearson will answer the same question from the Club's Media differently to the "Press". There have been a few time post match, I thought NP might bite when a good question has been asked, he's been very good TBF, at a time just after the game where it can be very hard. Then watch the Pre/Post interview with the Press and he can be very sarcastic or snappy at the slightest thing. Now , I don't care about this, personally I think there are too many interviews and specially the ones directly after a game should be binned.
That said;

Durden "the fact that King could have won the header for the Stoke equaliser has it given Pearson "food for thought about his role in that position?"

Is a fair question and one many would have asked. The reply just seems stroppy and more to do with not liking the question than giving the reply.

Pearson said no, no that it hadn’t and the fact that he is "picking a midfield player ahead of centre-backs tells you how he views the squad at the moment and to, make of that what you will... I don’t care".

Atkinson had been a virtual ever present until illness, so I don't buy the "not trusted" line. We know players fall out of favour, fair enough, and TBF he picks the bench on a game by game reasoning. The bench Saturday had 2 Fb's, one of which could play CB if needed. The other could allow Pring to play LCB. I think this could have been some of the thinking as he's done it before, it allows the option of 3 forwards to make the bench. 
Everyone coming out of the Gate Saturday were in different states of strop, ask any of the question to anyone and taking out the swear words they would have probably said half the team should never play again, it's knee jerk. Pearson strikes me as similar, but he also strikes me as someone that will stick with King to prove a point that he didn't intend to make. 
I stopped listening to most of the Pressers as he annoys me with some of the relays which can seem petty, I might be taking it completely wrong, but that's why I don't bother for the most part. 
Whether Durden is good or not doesn't really mean anything in this story, I think it's a valid question. Who on here wouldn't think that Atkinson either stands his ground and doesn't get bullied like King, or wins the header? It's Pearson's petulant reply that leaves me ignoring much of the press they put out now. I'll read the info and check the team sheet online. Not all Pearson's fault , ut he doesn't help himself.b

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I think you are being blinded by bullshit! The only thing he can trust "kingy" for at CB is at least one mistake a game on average, often costing us points.

Atkinson it could be argued was our best defender by far prior to the break, maybe the manager is finding it difficult to manage

8 hours ago, RonWalker said:

Really good post.

Unlike many on here I’m not in the Pearson out camp, but do think he’s painting himself into a corner re Atkinson.

It does us no good at all to have one of our better central defenders (a low bar) completely excluded from the squad in the absence of Kalas & when we struggle defensively, though I would just point out to those now piling on Andy King that we had conceded 1 goal in 2 games prior to Saturday with him at CB, so although he was clearly badly at fault for the first, you can understand why NP had started with him.

However Atkinson now needs to either be re-integrated into the squad or moved on in January & replaced.

We simply don’t have the quality or the numbers just to sideline him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, B-Rizzle said:

Pearson loves talking about trust. He might be able to trust King as a person but he can’t trust him to defend a high ball, that much is evident.

Don’t care what Atkinson/ Klose have done. Continually playing King at CB is suicide. Man has lost the plot. 

Pearson out.

‘Pearson loves talking about trust. He might be able to trust King as a person but he can’t trust him to defend a high ball, that much is evident.’

One of the best comments I have read on here following NP’s interview. 

Looking forward to seeing NP trust King under Millwall’s high-ball barrage on 29 Dec.

Edited by firstdivision

1 minute ago, frenchred said:

I think you are being blinded by bullshit! The only thing he can trust "kingy" for at CB is at least one mistake a game on average, often costing us points.

Atkinson it could be argued was our best defender by far prior to the break, maybe the manager is finding it difficult to manage

That is such horseshit, King had prior to Saturday made very few errors at CB, hence the clean sheet v Watford & the win at Rotherham.

Most people would also probably say Vyner has been our most consistent CB this season, a real sickener for his haters on here.

Atkinson would be in my side but very few would claim he’s been our best defender “by far” that’s nonsense.

• Like 1

Just now, GrahamC said:

That is such horseshit, King had prior to Saturday made very few errors at CB, hence the clean sheet v Watford & the win at Rotherham.

Most people would also probably say Vyner has been our most consistent CB this season, a real sickener for his haters on here.

Atkinson would be in my side but very few would claim he’s been our best defender “by far” that’s nonsense.

Absolute bollocks, king is an accident waiting to happen, he should be nowhere near the first team in any position, only gets in as he's Pearson's mate. Vyner should have been centre back in the middle and plenty of choice to play either side of him

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, frenchred said:

Absolute bollocks, king is an accident waiting to happen, he should be nowhere near the first team in any position, only gets in as he's Pearson's mate. Vyner should have been centre back in the middle and plenty of choice to play either side of him

So he bluffed a clean sheet v Watford when he marked Keinan Davis out of the game & the win last week at Rotherham then?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

So he bluffed a clean sheet v Watford when he marked Keinan Davis out of the game & the win last week at Rotherham then?

He didn’t “mark Keinan Davis out of the game.” Watford were rubbish that day. King did fine, in fairness, but wasn’t tested as a defender. Now he is being tested we’re seeing he’s not a centre back, astonishingly.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

A low level of performance. Pearson is the only person who would pick King ahead of Atkinson at CB

17 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I’m not sure if Adam has missed Nige’s dozens of other interviews, especially after a defeat but that was just standard Nige, no ruder than any other as far as I can see.

Personally I was frustrated how Atkinson got drawn into the interview and we’re left with half a story which I feel Nige shouldn’t have said but as he did say it then Durden failed in his job to follow it up. 

One constant thread. Its never his fault