IGNORED

Dean Holden

GrahamC

1 hour ago, Bris Red said:

Fair play i can see why Charlton fans aren’t happy, without anything of note on his CV why would their board think he is the candidate to get them out of League one..?

We'll our " board" thought he was the candidate to get us 'over the line' into the Premier League!!!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

Not for a second did they come to that conclusion.

Maybe not but that was the lie that was feed to the fanbase. Of all of SL’s abysmal managerial decisions Holden is the worst of the lot for me.

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Maybe not but that was the lie that was feed to the fanbase. Of all of SL’s abysmal managerial decisions Holden is the worst of the lot for me.

Yet I keep reading on twitter that Holden 'did ok' during his time here as Manager. It was god awful and we could barely muster a shot on target most weeks after our lucky start to the season.

Again, a point I made the other day - he fits the smiley smiley happy go lucky kind of manager a lot of our fans want.

• Like 1

Not sure why there is so much negativity about Holden on here, he clearly wants to go into management, he's done his time in coaching and assistant manager roles, and why would he not have accepted the City job when it was offered in the first place. We are a good club that he knew inside out with the benefit of patient owners when it came to fledging managers. I would argue that not one of us if we were in a similar position would have said "Sorry Steve, the club is too big for me, I'll pass"

It's taken almost 2 seasons for Pearson to at least turn some of the background mess around, and even now it's still not right, so I can't see how anyone can truly judge Holden based on what he took over, and I bet he's learnt from the experience. 

To my mind, and I'm judging this solely from interviews both pre, during and post City, he is clearly a good honest football man, who thinks about the game and puts his absolute all into being successful, and to that extent he deserves a break to try and prove himself. He's obviously said enough to get the current owners to put him in, albeit they are another team with strange owners.

I hope it works for him, and I can't see him giving any less than 100% for however long he is there for.

Edited by bexhill reds
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Not sure why there is so much negativity about Holden on here, he clearly wants to go into management, he's done his time in coaching and assistant manager roles, and why would he not have accepted the City job when it was offered in the first place. We are a good club that he knew inside out with the benefit of patient owners when it came to fledging managers. I would argue that not one of us if we were in a similar position would have said "Sorry Steve, the club is too big for me, I'll pass"

It's taken almost 2 seasons for Pearson to at least turn some of the background mess around, and even now it's still not right, so I can't see how anyone can truly judge Holden based on what he took over, and I bet he's learnt from the experience. 

To my mind, and I'm judging this solely from interviews both pre, during and post City, he is clearly a good honest football man, who thinks about the game and puts his absolute all into being successful, and to that extent he deserves a break to try and prove himself. He's obviously said enough to get the current owners to put him in, albeit they are another team with strange owners.

I hope it works for him, and I can't see him giving any less than 100% for however long he is there for.

Well said.  Holden was the first manager to have to deal with the financial situation, his one and only signing out injured before pre-season really started, and then hamstrung by hamstrings!  I’m sure there was some naivety from him, and our play was awful at the time he was sacked, but he had some horrid injuries to contend with.  Not saying he was great or anything like that, but he’s worked his way back to getting a shot at Charlton, so good luck to him.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bexhill reds said:

Nice bloke don't get me wrong but it's because of appointments like Holden that we're in this position in the first place. We really should of at that time gone for a Manager with higher calibre but went for the easy option as per usual

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Nice bloke don't get me wrong but it's because of appointments like Holden that we're in this position in the first place. We really should of at that time gone for a Manager with higher calibre but went for the easy option as per usual

Largely down to Swiss Toni who didn`t want anyone who would challenge him or call out his bullshit IMO.

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, 2015 said:

it’s because of appointments like johnson we are in this shit state

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, 2015 said:

We certainly looked at other higher calibre managers…the story is they “turned us down” after they’d got into the true interview stages.

”Turned us down” is being loosely used here because if we take Hughton (a higher calibre manager) as an example, he might’ve been demanding too much, and it might’ve been us who realised he was the wrong fit.

Ashton and JL spoke to over 10 candidates and had multiple interviews with 4.  We are led to believe that that Holden, Hughton and Cook were three.  The fourth is always a bit of a mystery…Ryan Lowe is one theory.

49 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Largely down to Swiss Toni who didn`t want anyone who would challenge him or call out his bullshit IMO.

100%.

I suspect that nice Mr Ashton knew the risks for him, in an experienced manager being appointed, and had not quite sealed the Ipswich job therefore,he was Holdens biggest advocate during the ‘rigorous ‘ recruitment process.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

100%.

I suspect that nice Mr Ashton knew the risks for him, in an experienced manager being appointed, and had not quite sealed the Ipswich job therefore,he was Holdens biggest advocate during the ‘rigorous ‘ recruitment process.

100% to your 100%.

• Like 1

Given their last appointment was a bloke who basically got the Gas relegated I would have thought Charlton would be delighted at getting a City reject.

Holden could do well there but against him again is that his backroom staff seem a random collection with zero synergy, just like here with Simpson and Downing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We certainly looked at other higher calibre managers…the story is they “turned us down” after they’d got into the true interview stages.

”Turned us down” is being loosely used here because if we take Hughton (a higher calibre manager) as an example, he might’ve been demanding too much, and it might’ve been us who realised he was the wrong fit.

Ashton and JL spoke to over 10 candidates and had multiple interviews with 4.  We are led to believe that that Holden, Hughton and Cook were three.  The fourth is always a bit of a mystery…Ryan Lowe is one theory.

Think we probably dodged a bullet there?

Happened to be at Charlton's game today, thought they were very good for the most part, kept the ball on the floor and moved it with intent, good linking play when the game opened up but difficult against Lincoln's shape. 2-1 in the end but Charlton should have had more and Lincoln scoring after a 3rd shot in the box with the previous 2 blocked. Hopefully for Dean he's able to have a team full of senior players available to him rather than the injury farce that happened here, if they play like they did today they'll be challenging for promotion sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

On 22/12/2022 at 19:25, Davefevs said:

Would he have had the club’s best interest at heart though? Would be interesting to know what was discussed in each interview. Perhaps JL is too nice/naïve and bowed to the great man’s better judgement ?

3 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Would he have had the club’s best interest at heart though? Would be interesting to know what was discussed in each interview. Perhaps JL is too nice/naïve and bowed to the great man’s better judgement ?

I think Mark Ashton only has his own interests, his own ego and his own pocket at heart.

It certainly would’ve been interesting to have been a fly on the wall!!!

• Like 2