IGNORED

22 years ago….

BCFC1512

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Entertaining football every game tho. Football is about entertainment after all 

Bar that most important game (the play off final) and his last, against Brighton in 2004 in Cardiff. One of the worst games ever - and absolutely no entertainment to be had, plus Lita not even on the bench.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Good game, atmosphere- just before Christmas. They scored after 27 seconds iirc!

People are a bit binary on here about Wilson era IMO. Some decent things, some bad things football for good periods not bad but ultimately failed at the last once and arguably twice given that we finished 3rd in each of 2002-03 and 2003-04.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

What a night! On my birthday that game.
Finished work early for the game.
Plotted up in Rising Sun with a fair few prematch. Ding dong prematch.
Great game to watch. Back in town afterwards. Rammed with City. Just a brilliant night out. Miss the Bristol derbies to be honest as nothing comes close nowadays. Think it would be good for us supporters to have them again as I hate the srekcuf! 
All feels a bit plastic nowadays - no needle. Miss it.

Merry Xmas all you City fans.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Squeezed past an absolutely shite team

Yes a poor team, although that doesn’t count for much in a derby, but how many of us walking out of the ground would have even dreamed about that being the last time they would play a league game at Ashton Gate for at least 22 years?

22 years in the other direction and we were playing top flight football.

4 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Squeezed past an absolutely shite team

They were a side who seemed to start the season quite strongly then went into sharp decline and almost made the playoffs the year before so though I don't like them at all, you're possibly underselling it a bit.

Them missing the playoffs was marvellous, they were top in mid to late March 2000 iirc and yet fell out on the last day, losing at an already relegated Cardiff.

37 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They were a side who seemed to start the season quite strongly then went into sharp decline and almost made the playoffs the year before so though I don't like them at all, you're possibly underselling it a bit.

Them missing the playoffs was marvellous, they were top in mid to late March 2000 iirc and yet fell out on the last day, losing at an already relegated Cardiff.

They got relegated that season Poppy

Loved that game, one of my first AG memories to be fair but you only have to watch the highlights to know they were absolutely dire

25 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

They got relegated that season Poppy

Loved that game, one of my first AG memories to be fair but you only have to watch the highlights to know they were absolutely dire

Were strong until maybe mid October, very happy they went down and much the same side who almost made playoffs previous year. They had a fantastically bad, perhaps record breaking in modern times run of no home win until late February 2021.

Tbh just checked- sold Roberts, Cureton and Zamora that season- probably their downfall!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

54 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Your assumption is wrong Bar - I was the Millennium against Brighton and at Wembley against Hull.

No, I was subtly pointing out that you were chatting shite.... that Brighton Play off final was utterly diabolical & on Wilson. 

To say his team entertained every week is either blinkered or delusional.

Yes, at times - but generally, Wilson's era was one of failure.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

No, I was subtly pointing out that you were chatting shite.... that Brighton Play off final was utterly diabolical & on Wilson. 

To say his team entertained every week is either blinkered or delusional.

Yes, at times - but generally, Wilson's era was one of failure.

Just many other City managers were. It’s the nature of the job. 

38 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Just many other City managers were. It’s the nature of the job. 

Except you consistently talk about Wilson and his reign as some magical time....

He failed to get us out of league one..!

In fact, anything much of note that that team managed, result wise, was down to a memorable moment from one player or other, rather than any particularly great games that he masterminded. 

Great day, finished work early and went on the lash. Watched Slagheads get chased around Bedminster pre match then arrived just in time to see the net bulge in front of the Atyeo not fully realising the game had kicked off already.

Watched a very enjoyable victory then went back into town happy in the knowledge that every Gasheads Christmas had been well and truly ruined.

2 months above them at that point. If you’d said to me then that 22 years later they’d still be below us I’d question if it was possible for them to be that pathetically shit but there you go, that’s Bristol Rovers for you.

• Like 5