IGNORED

Time Since Last Bristol City Penalty

JackiDziekanowski

Just now, kit said:

I believe there is wording along the lines of significant or meaningful contact, I can't remember exactly the wording. Simply being touched doesn't constitute a foul.

Grealish managed to cleanly land his foot and continue to then twist and take a dive. Having enginered to get into that position in the first place to then not even be challenged and go down in the manner he did is just wrong.

I think it was clearly the dive that took Grealish down and not any sort of slight touch. It didn't look a penalty in real time and even less so on replays.

If that Grealish one is the barometer for a penalty then the show reel of city penalties not given should probobly be well into triple figures of penalties turned down rather than hovering around/just into double figures of stonewallers.

Worth bearing in mind that a) There are more penalties per game in average in the PL than this level b) VAR will further help go inflate and c) The more attack minded and dominant a side, the more penalties they get.

From the gap to the last one, reckon that we have been wrongly denied between 5 and 7, watching the clips and that seems about right, maybe add in Scott v Forest in October 2021 as well although we got one subsequent o that of course.

On Grealish one Sunday, if that is a standard for a penalty then we would see a lot more awarded across the board.

According to Tom on Radio Bristol yesterday morning  when they were discussing the lack of a penalty we won't get one as we never get players in the box and that's all due to the way Nigel Pearson sets the team up. Seemed very despondent & I think surprised the presenter who thought Tom was going to agree with decisions going against us rather than saying it was the team set up .

1 hour ago, E.G.Red said:

According to Tom on Radio Bristol yesterday morning  when they were discussing the lack of a penalty we won't get one as we never get players in the box and that's all due to the way Nigel Pearson sets the team up. Seemed very despondent & I think surprised the presenter who thought Tom was going to agree with decisions going against us rather than saying it was the team set up .

I don't know Tom, or how much he watches or studies us. But I would love to know his take on the fact he haven't scored a goal from outside the area this season . Add that to his opinion we never get players in the box, just how do we score ?
That has to be one of the most stupid statements ever, I've seen it from other fans as "Bants" , but if that is a serious take, ridiculous. 

• Like 5

On 12/02/2023 at 22:09, Ian M said:

Around the time Port Vale were approaching the record, it was reported as if Derry City's 72 match run was the longest anyone knew of in World Football. British Isles refs generally allow a few more robust challenges to go unpunished so it makes sense that it's in our sphere that all the records come. Port Vale then beat that run with 73 games and got two penalties in match 74 (they missed the first one).

Just been looking at this, you just know we’ll miss the first one we get as well.

so how many have we played now?  

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I don't know Tom, or how much he watches or studies us. But I would love to know his take on the fact he haven't scored a goal from outside the area this season . Add that to his opinion we never get players in the box, just how do we score ?
That has to be one of the most stupid statements ever, I've seen it from other fans as "Bants" , but if that is a serious take, ridiculous. 

??????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

Tom sounds like a right melon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Super said:

Is the record 72?

Covering UK and Ireland is was 72 a few years ago- now rising to 73 wirh Port Vale. Think they've had 5 from 8th October to present though!

74 will see a new record set for UK and Ireland (dunno about further afield).

The European point is also quite interesting as across 31 Eurooean Leagues from August 2018 to January 10th 2022 we had been awarded the least pet big chance or something! Only will have escalated since...per game looks horrendous too (8 from August 2018 to January 10th 2022- League only).

They stopped updating but still remains on 8 13 months or so on!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Saw a little bit on Twitter about Reading and their home record- 24 goals and 24 pts from 15 games, I checked us and we have 22 and 20 from 16.

However Reading awarded at home 5 penalties in the League this season- scored 4. One in defeat, three in one goal wins and 1 in a draw...5-7 pts extra for them maybe??

1) Reading 2 v Cardiff 1...included a penalty for the home side. Scored.

2) Reading 2 v Stoke 1...included a penalty for the home side. Scored.

3) Reading 1 v Preston 2...included a penalty for the home side. Scored.

4) Reading 2 v Swansea 1...included  penalty for the home side. Missed.

5) Reading 2 v Watford 2...included a penalty for the home side. Scored.

Gained them a few points and goals I am sure.

I wasn't aware that Reading were such a dynamic and skilful side.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Dont think it will be long before we get one, then more with Mehmeti's direct running style

Keep dreaming! :D

I think we'll break the Port Vale record first.

Some of those we've seen turned down since our last one vs some of those given elsewhere beggar belief really.

That said Mehmeti and his running, his dribbling should help, but then 5, 6, perhaps 7 legit ones turned down since our last.

• Like 1

In all competitions it is in 109 games.

Aka in 9,810 minutes. Excluding extra time, injury time etc.

People may not recall but we got one in the Cup at Millwall in the Covid season, January 2021.

in 126 games All competitions post Norwich at home at end of October 2020 or 1 per 63 games...1 penalty per 5,670 minutes.

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In all competitions it is in 109 games.

Aka in 9,810 minutes. Excluding extra time, injury time etc.

People may not recall but we got one in the Cup at Millwall in the Covid season, January 2021.

in 126 games All competitions post Norwich at home at end of October 2020 or 1 per 63 games...1 penalty per 5,670 minutes.

Wasn't the October 2020 match against Swansea on the 24th and not Norwich on the 31st - Nahki Wells penalty ?

2 minutes ago, FForbes said:

Wasn't the October 2020 match against Swansea on the 24th and not Norwich on the 31st - Nahki Wells penalty ?

Yes, correct- Swansea then Norwich.

All competitions we got one at Millwall in the Cup in January 2021.

A full breakdown since the start of 2020-21 would be 3 in 123 League games.

Or in 137 competitive games.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Saw a little bit on Twitter about Reading and their home record- 24 goals and 24 pts from 15 games, I checked us and we have 22 and 20 from 16.

However Reading awarded at home 5 penalties in the League this season- scored 4. One in defeat, three in one goal wins and 1 in a draw...5-7 pts extra for them maybe??

1) Reading 2 v Cardiff 1...included a penalty for the home side. Scored.

2) Reading 2 v Stoke 1...included a penalty for the home side. Scored.

3) Reading 1 v Preston 2...included a penalty for the home side. Scored.

4) Reading 2 v Swansea 1...included  penalty for the home side. Missed.

5) Reading 2 v Watford 2...included a penalty for the home side. Scored.

Gained them a few points and goals I am sure.

I wasn't aware that Reading were such a dynamic and skilful side.

It would be interesting to look at the good shouts we've had turned down this season and how that might have chnaged where we are now.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

It would be interesting to look at the good shouts we've had turned down this season and how that might have chnaged where we are now.

Watford and Blackburn were two definite for me. Swansea we could, should have had one or two in the Cup.

I'm not so sure about the ones in August, I'm a bit hmm maybe yes maybe no but the Hull one away for them was dreadful. Then the Bennett non red at Wigan, the one sided red for Sykes v Luton when either prior incident especially the routine foul sandwich being called correctly would have meant Sykes didn't make the challenge as he did, Norwood staying on in November...we're due a lot!

Scott at home v Nottingham Forest last sesson and QPR, then more arguable ones ranging from Fulham, Preston, Swansea, Bournemouth away. Possibly wrongly denied at Coventry last season too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I think even the RB presenter James Hansen was taken somewhat aback by the comments

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Watford and Blackburn were two definite for me. Swansea we could, should have had one or two in the Cup.

I'm not so sure about the ones in August, I'm a bit hmm maybe yes maybe no but the Hull one away for them was dreadful. Then the Bennett non red at Wigan, the one sided red for Sykes v Luton when either prior incident especially the routine foul sandwich being called correctly would have meant Sykes didn't make the challenge as he did, Norwood staying on in November...we're due a lot!

I'm still angry about Hull, from where we were you could see Atkinson being rugby tackled every corner. Not annoyed about theirs, thought it could have been at the time.
Can't remember the game where the CB went through the back of Wells, in front of the South stand. 

There is no way it evens out over a season, bloody hell it hasn't evened out over several seasons.

Just found this, forgot about Conway at Wigan.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-penalty-claims-martin-8018191

From the Posts view & EFL

Hull(A) we've had a letter, could have won. + 3
Wigan (A) Pen for Conway + 2
Norwich (A)strong claim, +1
Watford (H) strong claim , + 2
So just the ones that the Post think were at least strong claims, and we potentially have an extra 8 points. But it's not just that, it's momentum and confidence, we could be sat 6th and have a real reason to look at the Playoffs.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm still angry about Hull, from where we were you could see Atkinson being rugby tackled every corner. Not annoyed about theirs, thought it could have been at the time.
Can't remember the game where the CB went through the back of Wells, in front of the South stand. 

There is no way it evens out over a season, bloody hell it hasn't evened out over several seasons.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-penalty-claims-martin-8018191

So just the ones that the Post think were at least strong claims, and we potentially have an extra 8 points. But it's not just that, it's momentum and confidence, we could be sat 6th and have a real reason to look at the Playoffs.

Thr letter is a big giveaway, although I'd be keen to rewatch the clips. Their penalty was woeful. Point or 3.

I've looked back at the Conway clip and I dunno. Less doubt about Bennett red that should have been though- goal up, playing well, confident and then cjsding in the heat. Via a different route but he's plus 2.

Norwich I remember a thread on, maybe the move when a penalty turned down ended in a goal in which case it evened out in that moment.

Wells South Stand could have been the aforementioned Blackburn one.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Talking of wrestling at corners, I watched Watford's Wesley Hoedt takedown Ashley Barnes on Monday. No penalty given.

Edited by Curr Avon

25 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Talking of wrestling at corners, I watched Watford's Wesley Hoedt takedown Ashley Barnes on Monday. No penalty given.

Ref obviously applied the Bristol City penalty coefficient in making this decision. 

As a result it was clearly no penalty.

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Burnley have actually had just the one (in League) this season which is surprising given their dominance levels.

In fairness, referees obviously feel that Burnley don't need any additional help this season.

• Like 2

On 12/02/2023 at 22:12, Rossi the Robin said:

One thing I noticed earlier when checking out some games, Massengo has already seen 3 in the few games he’s been involved with in France 

And tonight he was brought down for the penalty that was Auxerre’s first goal in a 2-1 win.

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1