IGNORED

Skyes, Atkinson and Tanner all on the bench and all Pearson signings.

Red Billy

Nobody can tell me that this team isn’t better than the team he picked today.  How can Pearson keep picking the same nonsense ?!

O’Leary

Tanner.  Vyner. Atkinson.  Naismith 

Williams.  James   Scott

Weimann   Wells   Semenyo  

1 minute ago, Red Billy said:

@Davefevsthe only players he’s paid a fee for don’t start but he bemoans his lack of resource to change his team? ?‍♂️ 

But he speaks so calmly.  Surely that’s the main thing?!

• Like 2

Just now, Red Billy said:

@Davefevsthe only players he’s paid a fee for don’t start but he bemoans his lack of resource to change his team? ?‍♂️ 

You heard what he said about Atkinson in the week, didn’t you?

Tanner a £275k signing from Lg2 learning his trade.

Sykes a free transfer from Lg1.

I think you are trying to read too much into it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

You heard what he said about Atkinson in the week, didn’t you?

Tanner a £275k signing from Lg2 learning his trade.

Sykes a free transfer from Lg1.

I think you are trying to read too much into it.

I get your point but if resources are tight then use them more wisely. Don’t invest in players for the future or players that are too laid back?? 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

I get your point but if resources are tight then use them more wisely. Don’t invest in players for the future or players that are too laid back?? 

The only players for the “now” we can afford are free transfers and either towards the end of their peak years (Naismith, James) or on their way down (King, Klose, Simpson).

Its tough, don’t get me wrong.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Nobody can tell me that this team isn’t better than the team he picked today.  How can Pearson keep picking the same nonsense ?!

O’Leary

Williams.  James   Scott

Naismith really isn’t a left back.

Going to be lost in the aftermath of another home defeat but thought he was decent today, one superb long range pass & a brilliant delivery from a corner that nearly resulted in an own goal.

Not sure I understood the logic behind putting him in midfield though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red Billy said:

This is the problem SL will have in allowing Pearson to spend in January, we've signed 3 right backs under him and he still chooses to play Weimann over the two that were fit today, I guess Scott would have played there if Weimann didn't also. We're also currently starting a 35 yo midfield player at CB who's never played there before over his own 1.5m signing who's been one if our better players this season so why would you give any more funds in early Jan to a guy who may not be there a couple of weeks later?

• Like 10

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The only players for the “now” we can afford are free transfers and either towards the end of their peak years (Naismith, James) or on their way down (King, Klose, Simpson).

Its tough, don’t get me wrong.

I think you are being a little kind. Atkinson was clearly signed for “now” and I think the extent of Pearson’s sudden lack of trust in him isn’t particularly fair based on his performances.

I want Pearson to succeed but performances like today make me wonder if the players’ uncertainty and insecurity about who exactly Pearson will turn on next and why is a factor in the performance levels.

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

I think you are being a little kind. Atkinson was clearly signed for “now” and I think the extent of Pearson’s sudden lack of trust in him isn’t particularly fair based on his performances.

I want Pearson to succeed but performances like today make me wonder if the players’ uncertainty and insecurity about who exactly Pearson will turn on next and why is a factor in the performance levels.

I was referring to the free transfers.

19 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

This is the problem SL will have in allowing Pearson to spend in January, we've signed 3 right backs under him and he still chooses to play Weimann over the two that were fit today, I guess Scott would have played there if Weimann didn't also. We're also currently starting a 35 yo midfield player at CB who's never played there before over his own 1.5m signing who's been one if our better players this season so why would you give any more funds in early Jan to a guy who may not be there a couple of weeks later?

Exactly my issue! Resources are low. Sign three right back / wing backs and still play our top scorer from last year there! I’m not sure I trust him to spend what little we have wisely! 

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

O’Leary

Williams.  James   Scott

And of course it's not his fault

3 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

I can’t like this post enough. ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Nail. On. Head. 
NO has a very genuine “get out of jail card” with resources and his wage cutting etc. 

He loses the use of this card when he doesn’t select HIS signings, and plays people out of position.  

I was always in the “keep Nige” camp- but today swayed me. 
The substitutes HE made were really poor- IF we were playing HIS signings (hands tied with £ etc) and where we are (with wage bill reduced significantly) then he can rightly say he need more time/investmen- he isn’t tho. I wouldn’t trust him to sign others now, considering of his signings very few have had a positive impact. 

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

We simply don’t know what goes on behind the scenes, there has to be more to it with Atkinson

1 hour ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Nail. On. Head. 
NO has a very genuine “get out of jail card” with resources and his wage cutting etc. 

He loses the use of this card when he doesn’t select HIS signings, and plays people out of position.  

I was always in the “keep Nige” camp- but today swayed me. 
The substitutes HE made were really poor- IF we were playing HIS signings (hands tied with £ etc) and where we are (with wage bill reduced significantly) then he can rightly say he need more time/investmen- he isn’t tho. I wouldn’t trust him to sign others now, considering of his signings very few have had a positive impact. 

Without trying to sound like I’m on the defence of Nige for defending him’s sake (although it will sound like that), there’s recruiting to improve the first eleven and recruiting because you need numbers.

You have to have a bit of license when you say “I’ll only buy / sign players who will improve us” when you’re shopping where he is.

People will throw Simpson and Klose alongside Atkinson, but I genuinely think the only players he’s signed that he truly thinks were first team “improvers” were:

• Atkinson (even Nige expected it to take a while for him to bed in)
  • James
  • Naismith

Three players over three windows, that’s all.

I think:

• Wilson
  • Tanner
  • Sykes

were a mix of squad fill / hope for the future.  All from lower leagues.

Bajic is obviously for the future.

King, Simpson, Klose (two of which were OOC with no club when signed) are whatever you want to describe them as, but I’d call them short-termers / buy us a bit of time on the cheap signings.

So, when people say he doesn’t play his signings, I genuinely think he’s only signed 3 true first-teamers…and bar a few games here and there for Atkinson, they’ve played every game!!!  So he has played £1.600m of his £2.000m every game.  For me, it’s not something to go at him for, but that’s down to individuals.

The “players out of position” is a side of the argument I totally understand from posters, although something I understand to an extent.  I can see why he’d play Weimann at RWB, even if I wouldn’t.  I wouldn’t ever play King at CB unless it’s an injury-sub / tactical-sub, but I always reflect, and he’s been mixed there, some decent games, some not.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MarcusX said:

We simply don’t know what goes on behind the scenes, there has to be more to it with Atkinson

Quite... everyone keeps ridiculing the idea Pearson trusts Atkinson at centre back less than playing players out of position, but the story doing the rounds fairly consistently (as in heard it now from several people) suggests the trust issue stems from a non footballing / illness matter for which NP would be hard pressed not to single the player out. Trust isn't solely about performances in the team.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Going to be lost in the aftermath of another home defeat but thought he was decent today, one superb long range pass & a brilliant delivery from a corner that nearly resulted in an own goal.

This is the issue with Naismith. People regularly say he had a decent game and the only thing that backs that up is that he did a couple of nice passes or corners. He also shanked one out 40 yards across the pitch for a West Brom throw in when we had a free kick near the halfway line, and he was at fault for the second goal after once again, for what seems like the millionth time this season, messing about with it and getting caught out.

He’s more of a left back then a centre half, though I wouldn’t have him anywhere near the starting 11. Has made more mistakes than anyone this season and that’s with a couple of months out injured.

Edited by Aaron-Bcfc
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

4 rbs.  Simpson, Sykes, Wilson, Tanner.  One he later had to release!!!

7 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

This is the issue with Naismith. People regularly say he had a decent game and the only thing that backs that up is that he did a couple of nice passes or corners. He also shanked one out 40 yards across the pitch for a West Brom throw in when we had a free kick near the halfway line, and he was at fault for the second goal after once again, for what seems like the millionth time this season, messing about with it and getting caught out.

He’s more of a left back then a centre half, though I wouldn’t have him anywhere near the starting 11. Has made more mistakes than anyone this season and that’s with a couple of months out injured.

Naismith was in the Championship team of the season & was Luton’s player of the year as a CB.

He’s a central defender, that’s where he’s played for a while now.

Genuinely baffled that someone thinks we currently have 11 fit better players than him.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I think he'd run out of midfielders because he was playing them at centre back... ?

43 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Naismith was in the Championship team of the season & was Luton’s player of the year as a CB.

He’s a central defender, that’s where he’s played for a while now.

Genuinely baffled that someone thinks we currently have 11 fit better players than him.

He’s been a central defender for about 1.5 seasons if you include this one, and he’s now 30 years old.

In his first season at Luton he played predominantly as a left back or left midfielder, occasionally at centre back. Last season he played centre back consistently for the first time in his career, though it is worth pointing out that this was always on the left side of a back 3, where he is familiar, in the same way that Luke Ayling is not a centre back but played as a right sided centre back in a 3 under Cotterill, and was successful.

At Wigan he played nearly always as a left back/winger/midfielder with the occasional game at centre back. At Pompey and earlier he was usually on the wings.

This season he’s played nearly every game centrally in the back 3 and has been consistently poor and full of errors. Much of the blame has to go to Pearson who continues to persist with him here, but it doesn’t take away from the fact he has been far, far worse than anything he showed at Luton last season.

1 hour ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

He’s been a central defender for about 1.5 seasons if you include this one, and he’s now 30 years old.

In his first season at Luton he played predominantly as a left back or left midfielder, occasionally at centre back. Last season he played centre back consistently for the first time in his career, though it is worth pointing out that this was always on the left side of a back 3, where he is familiar, in the same way that Luke Ayling is not a centre back but played as a right sided centre back in a 3 under Cotterill, and was successful.

At Wigan he played nearly always as a left back/winger/midfielder with the occasional game at centre back. At Pompey and earlier he was usually on the wings.

This season he’s played nearly every game centrally in the back 3 and has been consistently poor and full of errors. Much of the blame has to go to Pearson who continues to persist with him here, but it doesn’t take away from the fact he has been far, far worse than anything he showed at Luton last season.

I don’t think he’s been consistently poor at all.  But he has made mistakes, granted.  He’s been good…inconsistently though! ?