IGNORED

“Maybe it’s a good thing for us to play away from home, it was a game where we really needed the fans”

bcfc ry

Car crash of a quote. We all know when an atmosphere is poor/negative and we all have our opinions on booing or not singing etc. But club employees just don’t make reference to a poor atmosphere. They’re making money to be there. We’re paying money to be there.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

Just now, bcfc ry said:

NP blaming the fans for the loss now…

A man looking for a payout and retirement. 

I don’t think he was blaming the fans at all.

I haven’t seen the South stand so empty in a long time, and like the Stoke game the atmosphere was flat from the start.

Ashton Gate is a super venue for away fans, if they travel in any numbers they can create a great atmosphere for their team filling the Atyeo.

For what it’s worth I think Nige will be dismissed and I think we will be relegated.

Did he actually say that? If so, he’s made a big mistake

I don’t read that as “blaming the fans” but an ill thought out, ignorant comment all the same if he said that.

You can’t send your team out with a lack of aggression after a home defeat 9 days earlier and expect a non reaction. Any Manager would surely accept that?

5 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

I have felt that he has been doing that for a while with some of his decisions and tactics. I know he isn’t here to be liked but he is highly unlikable.

S*ithouse tactics. Blaming everyone but himself. Playing people out of position is not his fault, it’s because he doesn’t trust said players in that position. Absolute zero accountability every bad performance. Shambles 

• Like 2

It was one of many games where the fans needed a decent manager to manage his players and pick a team that could win more than 3 games from the past 16 as a manager he has failed at his task and should walk away

2 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

I haven’t seen the South stand so empty in a long time, and like the Stoke game the atmosphere was flat from the start.

Ashton Gate is a super venue for away fans, if they travel in any numbers they can create a great atmosphere for their team filling the Atyeo.

For what it’s worth I think Nige will be dismissed and I think we will be relegated.

He does have something of a point, my wife and I have been ST holders for 13 years and we havnt been for 2 months so empty seats don't create an atmosphere.

But look inwardly Nigel and ownership, the football is shit, the match day experience is shit, we don't go to watch Bristol city much because there are much better things to do with our time and money. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Did he actually say that? If so, he’s made a big mistake

I don’t read that as “blaming the fans” but an ill thought out, ignorant comment all the same if he said that.

You can’t send your team out with a lack of aggression after a home defeat 9 days earlier and expect a non reaction. Any Manager would surely accept that?

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

There were no trains and no buses. And many people have unavoidable Boxing Day commitments. If he is complaining about that, it shows a remarkable lack of insight into other people’s lives and ability to adapt to circumstances.

• Like 1

In fairness to Pearson:

• He does sort of have a point: We might be better off playing away from home - AG is becoming a bit toxic and hasn't had a great atmosphere in recent times.
  • He didn't exactly blame the fans.....people have added that bit on themselves.
  • He finished the sentence with "It was a game where we really needed the fans to get behind us........and they did for the most part".

That being said, it's not a great quote. Even if Pearson does feel that way, it's really not wise to say it. People have/will take it out of context and fans will, rightly or wrongly, be angered by it - Pearson is experienced enough to know this.

FWIW, I think the majority of the fanbase has been fairly understanding and supportive throughout Pearson's reign. I'm not sure NP or the club could have expected much more from us in that time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

There were no trains and no buses. And many people have unavoidable Boxing Day commitments. If he is complaining about that, it shows a remarkable lack of insight into other people’s lives and ability to adapt to circumstances.

No trains and buses but plenty of grounds had good attendances. West Brom Boxing Day is a plum game for anyone. Fans have become restless and voting with their feet.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

I can understand what your saying ,but nobody has ever been relegated in December ( I await the replies ???)

1 minute ago, Tin Soldier said:

No trains and buses but plenty of grounds had good attendances. West Brom Boxing Day is a plum game for anyone. Fans have become restless and voting with their feet.

We had a very good attendance. 23,000 or so I think. It is just we were in the ground and could see how many of those did not actually turn up in practice. I am sure fans are voting with their feet to some extent but imagine other clubs’ official attendance figures are similarly inflated by season ticket holders who did not make it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Not to mention a crushing cost of living crisis when many people are struggling to put food on the table, let alone go to the football 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Poor, toxic atmosphere no doubt. The way that Ashton Gate is currently set out gives an advantage to the away team. However, when all we are being served is absolute predictable shite and there's no signs of change, people are inevitably going to voice their discontent...especially when they have to pay up to £40 for the privilege! 

So typical of the Lansdown era; build a beautiful new stadium but not get the fan placement or singing sections right. I get the Atyeo is the 'worst' stand but it would help the atmosphere significantly in we were in there instead. Going away is not just better for the team; it's better for the fans too. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Not heard the interview and not seen the context for the quote so don’t want to jump to conclusions.

What I would say is the vast majority fans have been far more patient, trusting and supporting of Pearson than might be expected from the results alone and you would hope he and the club appreciated that.