IGNORED

Midfield Three

Numero Uno

Just now, Marcus Aurelius said:

First home game this season (exile), James was looking for the ball every second of the game, was always making space and ready to receive the ball. Disagree with James doing nothing 100%.

Looking for the ball when you can take it off the Centre Half’s toes and going missing when a bloke is up your arse isn’t showing imo. That’s why Naismith reacted badly to the uneducated flak he was getting.

1 minute ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

First home game this season (exile), James was looking for the ball every second of the game, was always making space and ready to receive the ball. Disagree with James doing nothing 100%.

He was the only one of the three that did. Williams and Scott both positioned themselves behind West Brom players meaning they couldn’t receive the ball. It’s either a lack of footballing intelligence or not wanting the ball. Neither are acceptable.

We played our best football with Scott and Massengo next to each other in my opinion.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KegCity said:

He was the only one of the three that did. Williams and Scott both positioned themselves behind West Brom players meaning they couldn’t receive the ball. It’s either a lack of footballing intelligence or not wanting the ball. Neither are acceptable.

We played our best football with Scott and Massengo next to each other in my opinion.

Oldest trick In the book. Put yourself in an area you can’t receive the ball and you can’t do anything wrong.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Looking for the ball when you can take it off the Centre Half’s toes and going missing when a bloke is up your arse isn’t showing imo. That’s why Naismith reacted badly to the uneducated flak he was getting.

It isn’t his fault he had nobody to pass to and pivot/play through the middle, the rest of the midfield were nowhere to be seen. I assume that’s tactics and don’t overly blame the other players but I don’t think James can be faulted for his performance.

1 minute ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

It isn’t his fault he had nobody to pass to and pivot/play through the middle, the rest of the midfield were nowhere to be seen. I assume that’s tactics and don’t overly blame the other players but I don’t think James can be faulted for his performance.

Ok, accepting that you saw James do more than I did, it can’t be disputed that as a “department” of the team our midfield just didn’t function today.

The only times we were able to get it forward were some quality long balls by Vyner in particular and Naismith at times. Nothing was able to go through the centre of the pitch today.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, City_USA said:

Was he holding back because he knows he's off in a few days? 

If he isn’t and if you were a scout sent to watch him you would definitely be wanting a second opinion on todays showing put it that way!! To me not showing is a big no if you are looking at an upwards career direction!!

• Like 1

Just now, Numero Uno said:

If he isn’t and if you were a scout sent to watch him you would definitely be wanting a second opinion on todays showing put it that way!! To me not showing is a big no if you are looking at an upwards career direction!!

Agreed, I'm wondering if an agreement has already been made, same with Semenyo. Neither of which have been very influential of late 

IMO of course 

10 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Ok, accepting that you saw James do more than I did, it can’t be disputed that as a “department” of the team our midfield just didn’t function today.

The only times we were able to get it forward were some quality long balls by Vyner in particular and Naismith at times. Nothing was able to go through the centre of the pitch today.

Absolutely agree 

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

What was that all about today? Not one of them gave us anything.

I’m usually one to find the positives, but I thought all three were below par, and in saying that I’m struggling to find any today.  They never got tight in midfield, got dispossessed too easily.  Scott looked sluggish first half and Williams just about held his own.  Second half there was nothing.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, eardun said:

Scott needs a break in my opinion. I thought the same after his second half performance in the last match as well. Not surprising that he should need a break given his age. 

Hasn't he just had a month break?

Terrible today for whatever reasons, one of which being the WBA midfielders crowded him as soon as he got the ball

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Our midfield is very weak which is surprising given James was someone that I am pretty sure we all welcomed when he signed and he had just come off a very good season with Cov- Williams I remember many saying was the midfield general we have needed for years, too many injuries for him maybe and then Alex Scott who is one of the most talented prayers outside of the Prem.

So Pearson is working with talented footballers but our midfield was very weak today and on the whole for most of the season- gaping holes today and at times it looked like a training match for west brom.

This team does not look very well coached at all.

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

What do we need to do to get Scott playing again?

Has he list all confidence?

Has he been overplayed?

Is it tactics?

He looked a shadow of a Championship player today?

He’s been sold.

17 minutes ago, Super said:

Williams has been a huge disappointment certainly one I'd be looking to offload in the summer.

I think he’s been ok…but he’s not the player I thought we’d signed.  Those hamstring and quad injuries have lessened him as the player he was at Wigan.  The old Joe Williams is not the one we are seeing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

Abysmal.

Love Alex Scott, but he was even worse than Williams and that really is saying something.

100%, also thought he shirked 3 tackles, which made me wonder if his mind is on January.

Would have been the second player to come off for me after King, who had picked up a knock.

• Like 2

Actually thought James wasn't terrible today. Not great, but saved our bacon on occasion and played forward the great pass that set up Conway's first attempt. 

Scott though was awful. Weak, and poor on the ball.

Williams was crap against Stoke and simply didn't deserve to start. He looks a shadow of the player he was before his injury. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Actually thought James wasn't terrible today. Not great, but saved our bacon on occasion and played forward the great pass that set up Conway's first attempt. 

Scott though was awful. Weak, and poor on the ball.

Williams was crap against Stoke and simply didn't deserve to start. He looks a shadow of the player he was before his injury. 

My view too, James is going to get flak now from the section of the crowd that’s turned because he’s Pearson’s man but I also thought he was considerably better than the other two.

• Thanks 1

The basic issue is pace through the midfield and moving the ball quickly. We didn’t do that and gave WBA chance to easily regroup when we did have the ball.

James I agree with prior posters - he showed more than the other two, but he was very deep and almost on top of King and Naismith. At one point in the second half him and KN played 1-2s over and over - Naismith was waiting for James to turn and break lines but the ball just kept coming back to KN. I get James’ job is the deep lying player and to recycle, but if it’s not recycled quickly, then it becomes more difficult to do proactively.

Scott was way off today. Williams also - noting that his game is not the passing but is holding and cover.

Inherently though the issue for me was that our 3 became a 2 with James too deep - understand why as Naismith and King aren’t blessed with pace so you need the cover. However that in turn meant Scott and Williams dragged back and Wells/Conway isolated. WBA were only playing with 1 up top all the time (Dike) and wingers pushing - but in effect they were 1 against our 4, meaning they had about a 6-4 overload all the time in midfield.

So we end up playing slow balls which are lost or long passes (and there were some good long passes today) to get Wells and TC in.

Tactically, it was pretty poor for those reasons. Easy to point to other things, but basic pace of play and shape as opposed to just King/AW playing out of position let us down today

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 1