IGNORED

Midfield Three

Numero Uno

I thought Yokuslu was very very good for WBA today in the centre. Bossed all three of out CMs in the first half, to the extent that we tried missing out the midfield all together in the 2nd half, and attempting to hit the channels.

I think i saw Scott today dip out of 3/4 challenges that I would normally have expected him to go for. I hope thats not an indication of a potential move next month on the horizion, and the need to avoid any potential injury?

Not one of our central midfielders today though broke through their lines in any form of transition.

The 30 mins of the second half up until their second goal were the dullest i can recall this season

Screenshot_20221226-164204_Flashscore.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I thought Yokuslu was very very good for WBA today in the centre. Bossed all three of out CMs in the first half, to the extent that we tried missing out the midfield all together in the 2nd half, and attempting to hit the channels.

I think i saw Scott today dip out of 3/4 challenges that I would normally have expected him to go for. I hope thats not an indication of a potential move next month on the horizion, and the need to avoid any potential injury?

Not one of our central midfielders today though broke through their lines in any form of transition.

The 30 mins of the second half up until their second goal were the dullest i can recall this season

Screenshot_20221226-164204_Flashscore.jpg

Second half we didn’t lay a glove on them until time was almost up.  Every-time I thought we might spring a gap, we lost it and got broken on.  Frustrating second half after building some momentum going into the h-t break.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Second half we didn’t lay a glove on them until time was almost up.  Every-time I thought we might spring a gap, we lost it and got broken on.  Frustrating second half after building some momentum going into the h-t break.

I agree to a point @Davefevs.

But we came out once again completely flat, after having the best of the last 5 mins of the 1st half.

Within the first 5 mins, we had abandoned the plans that had had some effect in the first half, and started hitting the ball long to both our wing backs. It was absolute madness, and completely played into WBA's hands. They just sat back on their lead, and couldn't believe we had suddenly become so inept.

There was no plan b, and the only non injury sub that we made wasn't until the 71st minute when we took off our player of the season from last year.

To see Bell up front, and Weimann on the bench, rather than pushed up behind the front two by the Sykes/tanner substitution was bizarre in the extreme.

I know Semenyeo is on the naughty step after refusing to play for the under 21s, but only to bring him on after the second goal was bascially belligerent point making by NP.

9 hours ago, Red Army 79 said:

We need Weimann back in the hole behind the front two, wasted at wingback. 

Scott, Williams and Matty James  fighting for the deeper Centre Midfield two positions. 

Totally agree AW needs to play behind the top two, utterly wasted at RWB and we have better options to play that role than AW anyway.

For Millwall, like to see Williams dropped, Scott play central alongside James, AW in the hole. Tanner or Sykes RWB.

agree with the OP re yesterday, however, our midfield has been one of the biggest problems for along time tbh. All too often we fail to play effectively through midfield which leads to us either going sideways or backwards in our own half or hitting a long hopeful ball.

Generally opponents, as was certainly the case yesterday, play neat, quick, passes through midfield and hold onto the ball far more comfortably than we do.

For ages I have thought we haven’t had enough diversity in our midfield as we have had too many players of a similar style. A bit simplistic but what I’m getting at is we haven’t really got a ball winner, a creative spark and a dynamo in the middle of the park. Although on his day Scotty can be all of these! 

There is no reason why NP couldn't have played his most affective formation yesterday, with players playing in their more ' natural' position. 

Playing Weimann at RWB is a joke.

It throws the balance of the team completely. 

3412 has been our most affective formation when playing with players in positions that are accustomed to it.

Square pegs again. LJ did this...trying to put what he considered his best players on the pitch whatever. NP is doing the same.

Our midfield imo, and the team as a whole could have been more affective if we had gone...

_________________Max_________________

_____Vyner___Naismith__Atkinson_____

Sykes_____James____Scott______Pring

______________Weimann_______________

_________Conway______Wells__________

With players on the bench that can be like for like... DaSilva for Pring, Tanner for Sykes, King and Williams for midfield. Semenyo for up front. Bents GK. Say Bell, Martin or Massengo or Close as the seventh. 

We have the players available in the squad, that can be utilised properly in natural positions, that whilst not pulling up trees, could be more affective and imo, be at least mid table. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, nickolas said:

Oooooohhh more scandal, i like it!!!! ?

I heard it pre-game yesterday, but had no idea whether true or not.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

There is no reason why NP couldn't have played his most affective formation yesterday, with players playing in their more ' natural' position. 

Playing Weimann at RWB is a joke.

It throws the balance of the team completely. 

3412 has been our most affective formation when playing with players in positions that are accustomed to it.

Square pegs again. LJ did this...trying to put what he considered his best players on the pitch whatever. NP is doing the same.

Our midfield imo, and the team as a whole could have been more affective if we had gone...

_________________Max_________________

_____Vyner___Naismith__Atkinson_____

Sykes_____James____Scott______Pring

______________Weimann_______________

_________Conway______Wells__________

With players on the bench that can be like for like... DaSilva for Pring, Tanner for Sykes, King and Williams for midfield. Semenyo for up front. Bents GK. Say Bell, Martin or Massengo or Close as the seventh. 

We have the players available in the squad, that can be utilised properly in natural positions, that whilst not pulling up trees, could be more affective and imo, be at least mid table. 

Swap Sykes with Tanner and I’m happy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Hasn't he just had a month break?

Terrible today for whatever reasons, one of which being the WBA midfielders crowded him as soon as he got the ball

A break in the sense that we know it is quite common for young players to start well but then have a dip in form. I would rather we gave Scott a break than flog him to death while he is struggling for form. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I heard it pre-game yesterday, but had no idea whether true or not.

Swap Sykes with Tanner and I’m happy.

Is Tanner a wing back though? Even thst feels like a bit of a compromise- mind you Sykes was more central when we signed him. Suppose half our side are compromises in one way or another. I'd prefer him in a back 4 at RB really, problem is can Naismith play in a CB pair, who do we pair at centre back etc. 

A fully fit and in form Wilson and Kalas could square some circles but that feels a long way off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is Tanner a wing back though? Even thst feels like a bit of a compromise- mind you Sykes was more central when we signed him. Suppose half our side are compromises in one way or another. I'd prefer him in a back 4 at RB really, problem is can Naismith play in a CB pair, who do we pair at centre back etc. 

A fully fit and in form Wilson and Kalas could square some circles but that feels a long way off.

NP sees Tanner as a right back and not a wing back. He said so in his post match interview with the Bristol post. There is a transcript of it online.

He said this when asked about Weimann playing RWB. He said Sykes was the only RWB. 

Also from the interview, he said the players picked for playing, were the ones showing up well in training everyday. 

I get he wants to create a dynamic, pro active, non lazy culture around the club, but it has to be balanced with progress on match day....not what wholly goes on during the week in training. 

What's the point of training brilliantly if you can't do it consistently on match day. 

Not every footballer trains brilliantly...however some can be very consistent on match day. 

A balance surely has to be found...creating a culture is great long term, but not if it negates what's going on short term and we end up getting relegated and the sack. 

I look at Atkinson...imo he's done hardly anything wrong on match day. Yet apparently not great at training. Points count on a match day...not at the HPC. If he was underperforming in training and on match day I'd get it...but he isn't.

Cutting your nose off to spite your face comes to mind. 

• Like 1

What was evident yesterday and the contrast between the 2 teams, we have stopped pressing as a unit and the lack of movement off the ball allowing the quick passing, we were doing it very well until recently. Now the ball gets played backwards and sidewards or smashed down the channel as we have a lack of options. WBA were excellent at it, made it looked men against boys

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

Also from the interview, he said the players picked for playing, were the ones showing up well in training everyday. 

I get he wants to create a dynamic, pro active, non lazy culture around the club, but it has to be balanced with progress on match day....not what wholly goes on during the week in training. 

What's the point of training brilliantly if you can't do it consistently on match day. 

Not every footballer trains brilliantly...however some can be very consistent on match day. 

Very true, it’s working out those that play well on match day from those that don’t, then looking at who is training well.  I doubt training is the only yardstick.

2 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

What was evident yesterday and the contrast between the 2 teams, we have stopped pressing as a unit and the lack of movement off the ball allowing the quick passing, we were doing it very well until recently. Now the ball gets played backwards and sidewards or smashed down the channel as we have a lack of options. WBA were excellent at it, made it looked men against boys

We were so far off in midfield yesterday…

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Very true, it’s working out those that play well on match day from those that don’t, then looking at who is training well.  I doubt training is the only yardstick.

We were so far off in midfield yesterday…

I agree training shouldn't be the only yardstick.

Having listened to NP and read transcripts, he continually reiterates that he's here to do a job for the club long term. To turn it around, create a better culture etc. 

I totally get this...it's needed.

However, the situation is turning into how it was with SoD.

He too came here and saw the problems. He became so involved in changing things for the better long term, that first team results suffered. Fans became frustrated and the rest is history.

Coppel saw the same...instead he chose to walk as he saw it was a nigh on impossible task to overhaul everything and keep focussed on the first team.

We are now in SoD territory with NP. 

It's a shame because this club needs a kick up the backside. And I feel he the man to implement it.

However...like SOD you can see he's pigheaded. He has nothing to prove. 

The more you push him...the more stubborn he'll become.

I want him to turn things around on the pitch, as what he's doing off it, is much needed imo.

But he really needs to get more out of this team quickly. Otherwise the past two seasons will be a waste of time.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Totally agree AW needs to play behind the top two, utterly wasted at RWB and we have better options to play that role than AW anyway.

For Millwall, like to see Williams dropped, Scott play central alongside James, AW in the hole. Tanner or Sykes RWB.

Totally agree with this. I would go Tanner simply because of more energy up and down the flank. Also please start Atkinson instead of King

• Like 1