IGNORED

Six more weeks, stick with it..

PFree

6 minutes ago, PFree said:

Like us all, I am pretty fed up and disappointed, but I will always try and find some positives, life is too short not to.

My point right now would be that a lot of preparation has gone into a very important January transfer window and it is now just days away. Changing NP (who has been integral to that planning) in advance of the period makes little sense, and in reality, if we were to, I expect we would end up someone with little direct management / Championship experience - a temporary appointment would surely heighten the risk of going down? 

My wider concern is that a lot of decent teams build around a strong spine - commanding keeper, strong and big centre half’s, central midfield dynamo / captain, and a tough, big centre forward. Let’s hope we can tick one or two those boxes as I am not sure we fill any right now?

My belief is we have enough quality to stay up, and let’s hope January brings some commanding, leader types who will add to some of the exciting talent we already have.

Tough times, but let’s stay with it..

Exactly!

My unswerving support for Mr Pearson  is being tested. However sacking the bloke with the experience of doing this kind of thing, just before the triggers start getting pulled is insane. 

@Davefevsholiday post brightened my day bless him! Some of The ******* responses are just a factor of too much bank holiday beer/wine/gange Millwall Thursday who is going?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Need to work harder on your thread titles! ???

Thanks for advice but the January transfer window ends in around six weeks which therefore closes the opportunity to make squad changes does it hence six weeks being relevant?

But thanks for adding such value to the thread..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly!

My unswerving support for Mr Pearson  is being tested. However sacking the bloke with the experience of doing this kind of thing, just before the triggers start getting pulled is insane. 

@Davefevsholiday post brightened my day bless him! Some of The ******* responses are just a factor of too much bank holiday beer/wine/gange Millwall Thursday who is going?

You could argue that he is part of the reason we’re in a relegation fight in the first place!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PFree said:

Like us all, I am pretty fed up and disappointed, but I will always try and find some positives, life is too short not to.

My point right now would be that a lot of preparation has gone into a very important January transfer window and it is now just days away. Changing NP (who has been integral to that planning) in advance of the period makes little sense, and in reality, if we were to, I expect we would end up someone with little direct management / Championship experience - a temporary appointment would surely heighten the risk of going down? 

My wider concern is that a lot of decent teams build around a strong spine - commanding keeper, strong and big centre half’s, central midfield dynamo / captain, and a tough, big centre forward. Let’s hope we can tick one or two those boxes as I am not sure we fill any right now?

My belief is we have enough quality to stay up, and let’s hope January brings some commanding, leader types who will add to some of the exciting talent we already have.

Nice thoughts and hopes, reality however says that there are half a dozen clubs below us and within a few points who also want to do well in the window....and after the window if he decides to actually play any of the players he does bring in there is no guarantee they will be any better worse than the other clubs signings.

So we are left with hope, hope that NP manage the squad better than the other clubs squads managers at the end and we can scrape survival, his record here is not great so far.

For the record I dont believe the man that matters will make any management change and NP will still be here for what is a tough final 1/2 dozen games at the end of the season and it could go down "to the wire" and could well go to GD to decide who goes down

1 hour ago, PFree said:

Agree, that's how I feel. We're closing in on Nige no longer having to work with both hands tied behind his back. 

I've always been a Pearson fan. Boxing Day and Stoke is hard even for me to defend. Especially an unchanged 11 after a dismal performance and result against Stoke. But I feel we are close to him really showing his worth with transfer dealings. 

I think we will loan one or two in Jan to keep us above a horrible relegation battle. Then the summer will be a real opportunity for a fresh start. 

If we can stay up, and strengthen in the summer, then it's fair to judge Pearson. 

COYR

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agree with the sentiment but can’t see him surviving if we keep on our current form.

I get how difficult the ask is but really don’t think he’s helping himself by playing players out of position at the back.

Needs another West Brom away type shock win to buy himself some time though certainly get the argument that having apparently planned for a busier January window, it would make no sense to be without a manager for a lot of it.

• Like 1

I'm happy to stick with Nige for those 6 weeks and see where we get to. I'm bloody worried, but this team does have a tendency to pull something out if the bag when you least expect it (as well as the opposite!), and I'm hoping we can just keep above the bottom 5 or so to the end.

• Thanks 1

The alternative view is get a new man in now and at least let him have some input into new players. Wait until March and any new manager is stuck with the squad Pearson has put together.

Like most fans I thought NP was a good choice but his record is awful, we can't keep making excuses. Your own fans singing "sacked in the morning" says it all. Nothings guaranteed but sitting on your hands hoping this transfer window will save us IMO is the owners accepting the potential of life in League 1. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PFree said:

Thanks for advice but the January transfer window ends in around six weeks which therefore closes the opportunity to make squad changes does it hence six weeks being relevant?

But thanks for adding such value to the thread..

Sorry, I was referring to my badly attempted thread earlier with Similar sentiments.

Edit: You may have missed the furore.  I titled my Thread in a clickbait style “Pearson Gone, Euell in as Caretaker” and then went onto explain about the reality of doing that now.  Some of OTIB not impressed, some saw it for what it was.  Title has now been changed.

Edited by Davefevs

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Sorry, I was referring to my badly attempted thread earlier with Similar sentiments.

Edit: You may have missed the furore.  I titled my Thread in a clickbait style “Pearson Gone, Euell in as Caretaker” and then went onto explain about the reality of doing that now.  Some of OTIB not impressed, some saw it for what it was.  Title has now been changed.

Maybe it’s best to just drop it altogether mate??

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PFree said:

This is the problem, isn’t it?  Do we trust Pearson to make the signings that we quite obviously need if we are to stay up?  You look back to previous transfer windows to give some confidence, but…

I really think our future will be hugely affected by what happens this week.  If there is no change and the transfer window goes badly then the future doesn’t look bright.  If we lose badly at Millwall can the Board really afford to stick with Pearson?  We’ll see…

14 hours ago, PFree said:

You've got a lot of positive reaction to this so perhaps your life approach is working.  However, it helps to be positive in the real world....

Where are these "commanding, leader types" that you hope Pearson will recruit?  If they are in a successful League 1 team, will they come to a struggling (second-rate) Championship team?  Do we want another Lge 2 player?  We need results NOW.

This is what will happen.

Pearson will recruit yet-another Leicester-era midfielder who will be injured and/or played at centre-back after two games.

Pearson will recruit a Lge 1 player who @Harry or @Davefevs will say "He's good, I've watched him for a few years" and the rest of us will say "Who?".  He will be playing for the U21s after two games as Pearson goes back to the players "he trusts" (namely playing King on crutches).

Pearson will be sacked in February.

If you want positivity, consider your point about the spine of the team.

commanding keeper, strong and big centre half’s, central midfield dynamo / captain, and a tough, big centre forward.

We already have that spine!!! Although, I disagree about "tough, big centre forward" as I think that is a bit old-fashioned.  Consider:

Bentley. Klose (and Kalas), Scott / Williams, and Weimann.  I'm taking a punt on Williams but I think he could be a good captain.  That is a hell of a spine for a team.

We are not far away from that spine. We just need to sack Pearson. Think positive!

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

We're way too close to January to sack Pearson, want to see what he has planned. Sacking Pearson won't magically make our players better, might get a 3 week new manager boost but that'd be it. 

But then look at what Corberan is doing at West Brom with the same players

Edited by The Dolman Pragmatist
  • Haha 1