IGNORED

Pele RIP

bcfcredandwhite

Met him in a Berlin hotel restaurant during the 2006 World Cup. Full of red wine, I interrupted his meal to ask for a photo. He smiled and insisted we walk to the other side of the room where “the light was better”. That sort of nonsense must have bugged him hundreds of times a day. He really did seem to be a genuinely nice bloke with the patience of a saint. Great man.

• Like 3
  • Robin 2

Incredibly sad news that the GOAT has died. Not just a phenomenal footballer but a great man who was a credit to the sport, his nation and indeed life itself. Heartfelt condolences and prayers to his family and friends. 

I expect there may be a day of mourning in Brazil and maybe a national holiday such was the esteem for the man. 

39 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

RIP. The greatest. He changed our game forever and was a thoroughly decent human, unaffected by the fame and money. 

CBB7143C-61B5-49DD-B25B-2EC137466928.jpeg

A truly great photo of two great footballers and sportsmen. Take note CR.

I saw him on TV in the 1958 Sweden World Cup but when I had a ticket for England v Brasil in 1963, he was injured so didn't play.

RIP Pele.

• Like 1

Only saw him in the flesh once. It was at Wembley in the 90s I think. Maybe it was at an FA Cup final or possibly Eng v Brazil (the one where Le Saux scored a corker and then Brazil smashed us.) I was made up to see the best footballer of all time in real life. RIP.

Edited by Sleepy1968

36 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

A truly great photo of two great footballers and sportsmen. Take note CR.

I saw him on TV in the 1958 Sweden World Cup but when I had a ticket for England v Brasil in 1963, he was injured so didn't play.

RIP Pele.

I’m a little to young to have seen him. Gutted for you that you didn’t see him. He was outstanding and I can watch highlights of the 70 World Cup Final over and over again. 

• Thanks 1

It's a phrase that isn't used much these days, but was often used after a controversial moment in a commentary. Typically 'It's within the laws but not in the spirit of the game'. When I saw Pele in action he was the very epitome of the spirit, with so much talent but class and humility that we struggle to find now. He would conjour up some piece of magic that no-one had ever dared to dream of. But perhaps the enduring image of him was his smile: a smile that was genuine, expressive of the untainted and unalloyed pure joy that the game can engender. The sort that a child will experience before growing up. Love has no better advocate.

He coined the term 'Beautiful Game'. He was the one who made it so.

It was an inevitible moment, one we will all have to bow to but tonight is a night when the world has lost more than one soul, one player, one individual. Pele will never be replaced or forgotten.

O Rei, Adeus e Obrigado

Edited by Erithacus
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

23 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Just a shame there is not more tv footage of him 

The 3 main clips you see of him are

(1) A header which is saved by banks!!!

(2) Shot from own half Which goes wide!!!

(3) Dummies the keeper by leaving the ball Then misses an empty net!!!

Was he really all that!!!!

Only kidding a real LEGEND

RIP

It's a shame the mainstream TV show so many of the same clips of him.

However...on YouTube there is lots of footage that's generally not shown. Especially from his Santos days in Brazil.

As an example...

2 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Just a shame there is not more tv footage of him 

The 3 main clips you see of him are

(1) A header which is saved by banks!!!

(2) Shot from own half Which goes wide!!!

(3) Dummies the keeper by leaving the ball Then misses an empty net!!!

Was he really all that!!!!

Only kidding a real LEGEND

RIP

Not quite sure how people can say he’s the best ever as most have never ever seen him play even on the telly, I”m into my 7th decade and can only just remember seeing him in that fantastic Brazil team in the ‘70 World Cup, personally I’d be surprised if the world has ever seen a better player than Messi, my dad always thought more of Puskas than Pele, all about opinions I suppose

55 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Just heard that Infatile (no idea how you spell his name) wants a ground in every country to be called Pele 

The company that owns Pele's intellectual property - and therefore would control the use of his name as part of any stadium name - is a client of mine. This won't happen.

Edited by ExiledAjax

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

The company that owns Pele's intellectual property - and therefore would control the use of his name as a stadium name - is a client of mine. This won't happen.

What about if the MEM offered their services? The Pele Memorial ground in Horfield is surely attractive for sponsors?

Edited by TonyTonyTony

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

What about if the MEM offered their services? The Pele Memorial ground in Horfield is surely attractive for sponsors?

Ah...yes...well exceptions could of course be made. Although Infantino did specify "stadium" so we would have to do some due diligence to make sure that the Mem qualifies.