IGNORED

Coventry City away match thread

Just now, cityexile said:

Rotherham, Blackpool, Wigan, staying above those three does the job. I would also throw Hull in to the mix. Gut feel Cardiff and Huddersfield will be ok.

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but we actually still have Hull, Wigan, Rotherham and Blackpool all to play at AG. 

Watched most of the Cardiff game today, they’re really poor, O’Dowda was one of their better players.

Absolutely no goal threat at all, Semenyo, Wells & Conway look a stronger strike force to me.

• Like 1

Glad to begin the year avoiding a defeat, but these draws are not enough to make me feel confident about our survival: we need to pick some wins somewhere,  mainly by converting our chances in goals like we have been doing in recent past.

It won't be easy, because we know our weaknesses and it is - or should be - clear that we will have also to be stronger than referees dirty behaviour, but...COME ON CITY, we can do it!!!

One or two arrivals from the transfer market would obviously help too.

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

W1 D4 L2 Pts 7

= 46 points in a season.  Relegation form sadly…

We didn’t start that run on a point a game, though did we?

I think for a side that looked defensively frail to start to avoid defeat was the first step, a bit like our first point of the season at Wigan started off a decent run.

Up to you what you think, I reckon we’ll stay up about 5th from the bottom.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

Many mention our league position and the need to get wins but Millwall and Coventry away are tough places to go. I don't think you can expect wins at them places. 

I think as a whole, games like today are important building blocks to what we are trying to achieve. We went a goal down but equalised and played so well we had Coventry fans booing at half time and full time. 

That was a strong resilient performance and that's an important building block for us. 

• Like 6
Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

Many mention our league position and the need to get wins but Millwall and Coventry away are tough places to go. I don't think you can expect wins at them places. 

I think as a whole, games like today are important building blocks to what we are trying to achieve. We went a goal down but equalised and played so well we had Coventry fans booing at half time and full time. 

That was a strong resilient performance and that's an important building block for us. 

We also lost both corresponding games last season.

• Like 1
Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

We lost the home game against Coventry too? 

There is progress. Maybe not as quick as people would like but there is. 

I think we are now slightly ahead in last season's equivalent games (by equivalent I don't mean number played but vs equivalent opponents). It is hard to say given 6 different teams ie which of Wigan, Rotherham and Sunderland equate to Barnsley, Peterborough and Sunderland.

Certainly performances as a whole are better.

• Like 1

I really don't understand the point of so many posters saying we need to win games rather than drawing them. That's bleeding obvious. I doubt that this squad could give much more than they have in the last two games - other than show a bit more composure in front of goal. 

Likewise, it's 1 January, there's about 9 points between City and 6th. It's way early to be constantly bleating on about relegation. Please, lighten the flip up!! 

• Like 11
  • Flames 1
15 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Watched most of the Cardiff game today, they’re really poor, O’Dowda was one of their better players.

Absolutely no goal threat at all, Semenyo, Wells & Conway look a stronger strike force to me.

Just got back from a weekend with the in-laws in Hull - they remain optimistic, reckon a few wins will put them in with a play-off shout, all off to Wigan tomorrow to witness their revival! The contrast with my eternal pessimism was stark! 

Pearson post match:  started slow, disappointed to go behind. Excellent after that in terms of collective determination and effort. Put a very good home side under pressure for long periods.  Draw fair result.  Just couldn’t find that finishing touch. Magnificent defending second half. Need that every week. Performances like that mean we have a better chance of winning games.  Good for Antoine to score as has been frustrated recently.  Likes the fact we have options up top  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

2 great points on the road at like you said, tough places 

It’s our home form that needs to improve if we want to stay up. We really have been pathetic at home and have done the last 5 or 6 home games .

Did I read right that we have only won something like 12 home games under Pearson? 

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

Did I read right that we have only won something like 12 home games under Pearson? 

I don’t think that’s a Pearson trend. It’s been like that at home in forever…

We’ve been poorer at home since the Cotterill days.

• Like 5

Some home games rolling in so we address the elephant in the room  there, regardless of our thoughts on who should manage  things can turn suddenly good as they do bad , looking up the table there will be a few looking over their shoulders I'm sure .please please please let's have some home form at last ! 

1 minute ago, Lennieb said:

Some home games rolling in so we address the elephant in the room  there, regardless of our thoughts on who should manage  things can turn suddenly good as they do bad , looking up the table there will be a few looking over their shoulders I'm sure .please please please let's have some home form at last ! 

Think that could depend on the support they get, we really need to get behind them. 

• Like 8
10 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Just got back from a weekend with the in-laws in Hull - they remain optimistic, reckon a few wins will put them in with a play-off shout, all off to Wigan tomorrow to witness their revival! The contrast with my eternal pessimism was stark! 

Yep My auntie Jane in Huddersfield is sure their going to make the play offs as well .

Edited by Jim Davey
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Imagine if we all just got behind the boys, made Ashton Gate hostile for the opposition rather than our own players and encouraged from the first minute. We are still within striking distance if everything falls into place. 

The mad thing is, there are more than 9 points we have dropped/lost/been robbed of by refs where we didn't really deserve it. That's the positivity we should be clinging to. That's the encouragement we should be giving these boys who do, invariably, give it all for the shirt. 

Time to buckle up and come together. The constant negativity serves absolutely no purpose. 

To be honest we have to get behind the team as much as possible against Birmingham, patience needed, Brum are big and awkward and it won’t be pretty, but they need some positive backing.

West Brom was a shit show and everyone was frustrated and pissed off but going forward not going to help 

• Like 1