IGNORED

Gareth Bale retires

CyderInACan

A player who epitomised everything that's wrong about modern football, happy to accept obscene wages in return for not giving a ****.

So, despite his talent, he's not fit to lace the boots of Charles, Jones, Toshack or any other Welsh "great". 

Not that we remotely give a **** either. Boyo. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Totally agree. I think he was sub in at least 2 if not 3 Champions League finals. Also was very much a bit part player in the last league title.

You do know he came on as sub in 2 champions league finals and scored right?

• Like 1

People forget that he was given a second contract at Real. It wasn’t like he signed and played out one contract, he was there for 9 years. He was treated like a leper from Zidane at Real. I guess he thought sod you and carried taken the money. 
If he wasn’t Welsh would there be so much angst against him on here? 

Retiring at 33, says there is something more to it IMO 

Edited by RedorDead BCFC
  • Like 1

I really am trying to take my anti-Welshness out of the argument BUT,there is always a but.

He scored against us in the Euros in ??.Well good for him even Iceland did - Twice!!!

When in Spain he beat a nobody on the touch line and sprinted a bit and scored- so ******* what I’ve ran and scored goals back in the 70’s playing forHolymead Juniors!

That overhead kick against the scousers in the Champions league final - ok everyone can get lucky once- especially when you earn enough to buy new golf clubs every day!- Pele’s in Escape to Victory was better anyway .

Glad he now enjoy his golf and we now don’t have to any endure anymore BBC/ITV ****-marathon about how lovely it is for the sheep shaggers to be at a major tournament.

And his hair, his ******* hair.As least Beckham was a bit of a dude but his stupid top.WTF.

not a fan.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

People forget that he was given a second contract at Real. It wasn’t like he signed and played out one contract, he was there for 9 years. He was treated like a leper from Zidane at Real. I guess he thought sod you and carried taken the money. 
If he wasn’t Welsh would there be so much angst against him on here? 

Retiring at 33, says there is something more to it IMO 

Yep I agree with you here if he was English this wouldn't be the case , other than Beckham in the modern era he s probably been the best British  player at Real .

I'd compare him to Owen/Rooney being played too much at a young age.He scored some quality goals at club level. 

11 hours ago, miketh2nd said:

Yep I agree with you here if he was English this wouldn't be the case , other than Beckham in the modern era he s probably been the best British  player at Real .

I'd compare him to Owen/Rooney being played too much at a young age.He scored some quality goals at club level. 

Better than Laurie Cunningham......no chance.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

What have stats got to do with it. If that's your basis then I assume you think Bale is better than George Best because he won 4 more European cups 

Cunningham may have been a decent player not disputing that but comparing him to Bale is a bit silly.

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

What have stats got to do with it. If that's your basis then I assume you think Bale is better than George Best because he won 4 more European cups 

It comes down to what you mean by "better", which is always going to be subjective. By all accounts Cunningham had the talent but his time at Real Madrid was affected by injuries and bad luck and he only made 40 or so appearances for them. I think it's really hard to claim a player with that many starts had anywhere near the impact or success than Bale did.

In terms of George Best, he was an incredible footballer but he played at a time where attitudes to player's lifestyles were very different to today - even with his skill and ability - there is absolutely no way a player with his ability but a similar lifestyle would be fit enough to sustain a career in the top flight today. I honestly think any elite manager would have taken Bale over Best for that simple reason. Whether that makes Bale a better player or not is obviously subjective. 

22 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It comes down to what you mean by "better", which is always going to be subjective. By all accounts Cunningham had the talent but his time at Real Madrid was affected by injuries and bad luck and he only made 40 or so appearances for them. I think it's really hard to claim a player with that many starts had anywhere near the impact or success than Bale did.

In terms of George Best, he was an incredible footballer but he played at a time where attitudes to player's lifestyles were very different to today - even with his skill and ability - there is absolutely no way a player with his ability but a similar lifestyle would be fit enough to sustain a career in the top flight today. I honestly think any elite manager would have taken Bale over Best for that simple reason. Whether that makes Bale a better player or not is obviously subjective. 

The use of the word 'better' was a direct quote back at mike2nd who said he thought that apart from Beckham that Bale was the best British player to play for Real Madrid. The George Best analogy was used as Super argued that stats didn't back up the argument.

Having seen both players In my opinion Cunningham was far more talented than Bale.

All subjective I agree.