IGNORED

‘A Block Ultras’

OliOTIB

Looking forward to the "Can't create any noise in the Dolman, it's far too open. Why we're stuck up at the top where we can't even see the away fans is ridiculous. How are we meant to get the crowd going there? Give us a proper corner in our home end, City fans all around us, safe standing rails, and the club will start to see some atmosphere. We always used to be at the far side, why can't we go back there again??" threads in 2-3 years.

• Like 5

Just now, IAmNick said:

Looking forward to the "Can't create any noise in the Dolman, it's far too open. Why we're stuck up at the top where we can't even see the away fans is ridiculous. How are we meant to get the crowd going there? Give us a proper corner in our home end, City fans all around us, safe standing rails, and the club will start to see some atmosphere. We always used to be at the far side, why can't we go back there again??" threads in 2-3 years.

I don’t think that’ll be the case. I’m convinced, like many clubs, interaction between home and away support is the main catalyst for atmosphere at AG, shortly followed by how the team is doing.

S82 being where it currently is, physically as far from the away support as possible, makes this impossible. Safe standing and a relaxed attitude to more boisterous support for that area is great - but the placement is wrong. 

Ideally you’d want a few sections of vocal support - so it could work a bit like the beacons of Gondor and atmosphere spreads around the ground. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

None of that would happen if it was done properly. Since the rebuild everywhere the club has our louder fans has been either to small ( 1/3 of the atyeo ) or in a pointless place where you’ll never create atmosphere ( section 82)

E34 and even adding the section next to it would be perfect and stop our club from becoming a soulless pit like Wigan and reading (to be fair atm readings atmosphere is way better than ours since they’ve moved their fans )

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don’t think that’ll be the case. I’m convinced, like many clubs, interaction between home and away support is the main catalyst for atmosphere at AG, shortly followed by how the team is doing.

S82 being where it currently is, physically as far from the away support as possible, makes this impossible. Safe standing and a relaxed attitude to more boisterous support for that area is great - but the placement is wrong. 

Ideally you’d want a few sections of vocal support - so it could work a bit like the beacons of Gondor and atmosphere spreads around the ground. 

Maybe - I'm not sure I buy it personally.

Isn't the north stand at Leeds opposite the away fans, and the Palace Holmsdale end at the opposite end for example?

Man Utd was a great atmosphere, as was Wolves that year and a few others. I think it's what happens on the pitch that drives it, not the ability to gurn at a bloke who's 20m away instead of 80m!

3 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

None of that would happen if it was done properly. Since the rebuild everywhere the club has our louder fans has been either to small ( 1/3 of the atyeo ) or in a pointless place where you’ll never create atmosphere ( section 82)

E34 and even adding the section next to it would be perfect and stop our club from becoming a soulless pit like Wigan and reading (to be fair atm readings atmosphere is way better than ours since they’ve moved their fans )

I remember in the 15 years + I've been on this board complaints and arguments about atmosphere no matter where our fans where.

Back when they were in the East End it was endless. Multiple groups (netters who sang too fast for example and ruined it), the roof kept the noise in, and so on.

Maybe there are things we can do to encourage it, but I think it'll still be pretty shit until we start seeing change on the pitch. Maybe the location currently is poor, but the club have called it a singing section, put in rails now, allow unreserved seats, and so on - for some to imply they're working against it or hate it is ridiculous imo. They could do more of course though!

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

Isn't the north stand at Leeds opposite the away fans, and the Palace Holmsdale end at the opposite end for example?

Man Utd was a great atmosphere, as was Wolves that year and a few others. I think it's what happens on the pitch that drives it, not the ability to gurn at a bloke who's 20m away instead of 80m!

I remember in the 15 years + I've been on this board complaints and arguments about atmosphere no matter where our fans where.

Back when they were in the East End it was endless. Multiple groups (netters who sang too fast for example and ruined it), the roof kept the noise in, and so on.

Maybe there are things we can do to encourage it, but I think it'll still be pretty shit until we start seeing change on the pitch.

Key thing with both of those examples is they have a dedicated ‘end’ behind the goal. Our vocal support is shoved in a fairly underwhelming corner.

Ideally I’d have liked us to have put home fans in the Atyeo as a ‘home end’ with away support in an adjacent corner of Lansdown/Atyeo next to them. 

2 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Maybe there are things we can do to encourage it, but I think it'll still be pretty shit until we start seeing change on the pitch. Maybe the location currently is poor, but the club have called it a singing section, put in rails now, allow unreserved seats, and so on - for some to imply they're working against it or hate it is ridiculous imo. They could do more of course though!

I think it will be incremental. It’s rock bottom at the moment - the worst it’s ever been.   Not sure if you were there on Sunday but the atmosphere was infinitely better with the block in full flow.  Will just this change make AG a fortress? No.  But it’s a start.    And then we will need to focus on the next incremental change that will improve it further. And on and on.  I think the times you mention people moaning previously are perfectly valid - they did - but it was at a position of strength in comparison to the diabolical state it is now.  It has to start somewhere.   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Leeds have both ends behind the goal and a bit to the side where they stand and sing ( The Kop , south stand and cheese wedge )

27 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Save yourself the aggro Mr. P, just assume when people write ‘the club’ they mean the whole organisation who influence things like this - inclusive of SAG. It’s just shorthand.

It’s not worth mansplaining the same point over and over.

Will bear that in mind PF, yes would make sense.

I have serious issues with our SAG fwiw. I have the feeling that they are over restrictive, over cautious, over secretive. I appreciate that not everything can be put in the public domain but this is weighted too far in favour of anonymity given to decision making of a dubious quality.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Will bear that in mind PF, yes would make sense.

I have serious issues with our SAG fwiw. I have the feeling that they are over restrictive, over cautious, over secretive.  I appreciate you can't put everything in the public domain but this is weighted too far in favour of anonymity given to decision making of a dubious quality.

Agreed - the whole ‘lights on during evening games’ thing is a dreadful policy. Really detracts from the spectacle. Feels like you’re watching from a supermarket rather than a football stadium. 

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Key thing with both of those examples is they have a dedicated ‘end’ behind the goal. Our vocal support is shoved in a fairly underwhelming corner.

Ideally I’d have liked us to have put home fans in the Atyeo as a ‘home end’ with away support in an adjacent corner of Lansdown/Atyeo next to them. 

But they're still not next to the away fans right? It's a combination of things I guess, but in my view get the right stuff happening on the pitch, and a few of the right people, and it'll happen. Shuffling the people around on it's own probably won't make any long term difference.

South stand would be best imo, as it's one big tier so would look great. Like a proper home end.

Whatever happens I hope it works!

9 minutes ago, lenred said:

I think it will be incremental. It’s rock bottom at the moment - the worst it’s ever been.   Not sure if you were there on Sunday but the atmosphere was infinitely better with the block in full flow.  Will just this change make AG a fortress? No.  But it’s a start.    And then we will need to focus on the next incremental change that will improve it further. And on and on.  I think the times you mention people moaning previously are perfectly valid - they did - but it was at a position of strength in comparison to the diabolical state it is now.  It has to start somewhere.   

Yeah I was there on Sunday - it was better I agree!

I'm not having a go at the people trying to do it and I absolutely support them making an effort. It's more than I'm doing sat lazily in the Lansdown and good luck to them all. I really hope it helps.

9 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

Leeds have both ends behind the goal and a bit to the side where they stand and sing ( The Kop , south stand and cheese wedge )

Well we have one end and two sides! Put our fans in Leeds ground and the same stuff we've watched at home lately in front of them and I don't believe the atmosphere would be that different personally.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

Lets hope this comes off, the ground has needed some sort of character which has been slowly and carefully diluted by the club for the past 6 years.

Was only saying this on here the other day mate. Great to see fans have shown some initiative in organising this.

• Like 1

I am a season ticket holder in E34 and have been for many years. I enjoy sitting next to the away end. It’s just about the only place at Ashton Gate to enjoy a decent atmosphere nowadays. I have absolutely no issues with anyone coming across in an attempt to create a decent home atmosphere. 
Just bear in mind that there are a few more of us season ticket holders than some think and there won’t be the hordes of empty seats that there were for the cup game, which were taken off sale for that block after a few days of being released. One assumes in an attempt  to avoid over stewarding / policing. 
looking forward to seeing some new faces for the Brum game. A much better idea than a pointless poorly planned protest. 
let’s get behind the lads. 
COYRS

• Like 11
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We don't know unless anyone on here has info to the contrary, what would have been deemed acceptable to the SAG and probably more football specific, the SGSA.

The club can promise it from their perspective but we don't know If standing up a side stand would have been deemed acceptable to said authorities.

I don’t really care about a faceless and secretive body - that’s something that cant be controlled.

What can be controlled is the messaging from the clubs and the stadium company  What is the plan? If it’s changed be open and honest about it - Tell you stakeholders. 

As it is, I doubt there was ever any serious intent to deliver it as described. 

Edited by Barrs Court Red
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I don’t really care about a faceless and secretive body - that’s something that cant be controlled.

What can be controlled is the messaging from the clubs and the stadium company  What is the plan? If it’s changed be open and honest about it - Tell you stakeholders. 

As it is, I doubt there was ever any serious intent to deliver it as described. 

I agree with 1st paragraph especially, 2nd paragraph I would question the intent and seriousness of the club yes.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I can’t see this E34 business going ahead, as the club wouldn’t allow it. It was probably easier on Sunday as it was the FA cup and half empty…

The club have installed safe standing in S82 and I don’t think that’s going to change. 

50 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

But they're still not next to the away fans right? It's a combination of things I guess, but in my view get the right stuff happening on the pitch, and a few of the right people, and it'll happen. Shuffling the people around on it's own probably won't make any long term difference.

South stand would be best imo, as it's one big tier so would look great. Like a proper home end.

Whatever happens I hope it works!

Yeah I was there on Sunday - it was better I agree!

I'm not having a go at the people trying to do it and I absolutely support them making an effort. It's more than I'm doing sat lazily in the Lansdown and good luck to them all. I really hope it helps.

Well we have one end and two sides! Put our fans in Leeds ground and the same stuff we've watched at home lately in front of them and I don't believe the atmosphere would be that different personally.

No we have a tiny little corner not  one end and two sides . If you stood up and sang in any other part of the ground you’d be told to stop , it’s embarrassing the state Ashton gate is .

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

So it's nothing to do with supporting the team, then. It's just a chance to be closer to the away fans and call them w*nkers. Mint. 

Is that what I said. Err no. Don’t try and patronise me. It’s all about creating an atmosphere by being closer to away fans and singing back and for , where does calling them ******* come into my comments, please enlighten me??? I just think it’s going to cause problems on Saturday.  

10 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

No we have a tiny little corner not  one end and two sides . If you stood up and sang in any other part of the ground you’d be told to stop , it’s embarrassing the state Ashton gate is .

The back row or couple of back rows seem to get away with standing, although that varies.

20 minutes ago, phantom said:

I am not sure if it has been mentioned anywhere but assume those planning on moving over realise that ticket checks are done by stewards to get in A and B block

3 minutes ago, Super said:

They can buy tickets.

As I (admittedly somewhat confusingly) outlined above, the terms and conditions of a season ticket permit the ticketholder to move seats up to 3 times per season free of charge. There is no requirement to notify the Club, stewards, or anyone else prior to doing so.

image.thumb.png.340c3604740045aea482e8729e7faee9.png

Therefore if you are an ST-holder and you have sat in your assigned seat (or area if your ST is in the unreserved area) then you should simply explain to the stewards that you are using your right under clause 10.1 of your ticket terms and conditions, and are moving seat for this match.

If this will be the 4th time you have moved seat then yes you should contact the ticket office and pay the difference between the seat price in E34 and your pro rata season ticket price.

Alternatively if you are flush with cash just buy a match ticket in E34.

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Winterstoke toad said:

So i can be one to oppose the next to it bit in E33?! Sat there for nearon 20 years now and enjoyed the Block B stuff of that era. 

Now i take my 6 year old i dont think he’d like the ruccus of that in our block. Stick to E34 and we’ll watch on from next door!

Or get yourselves down the block at the front in the rain! ?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

As I (admittedly somewhat confusingly) outlined above, the terms and conditions of a season ticket permit the ticketholder to move seats up to 3 times per season free of charge. There is no requirement to notify the Club, stewards, or anyone else prior to doing so.

image.thumb.png.340c3604740045aea482e8729e7faee9.png

Therefore if you are an ST-holder and you have sat in your assigned seat (or area if your ST is in the unreserved area) then you should simply explain to the stewards that you are using your right under clause 10.1 of your ticket terms and conditions, and are moving seat for this match.

If this will be the 4th time you have moved seat then yes you should contact the ticket office and pay the difference between the seat price in E34 and your pro rata season ticket price.

Alternatively if you are flush with cash just buy a match ticket in E34.

My question would be if you don't have to notify the club of changing seats using your '3 free seat moves' then how will the club/stewards know if you are on your first second or third? You could just say each time to the steward oh yes this is my 2nd time free seat move 

Just now, LondonRobin said:

My question would be if you don't have to notify the club of changing seats using your '3 free seat moves' then how will the club/stewards know if you are on your first second or third? You could just say each time to the steward oh yes this is my 2nd time free seat move 

You could do that couldn't you. I wouldn't encourage anyone to do that. But it does look like you could do that doesn't it.