IGNORED

‘A Block Ultras’

OliOTIB

Just now, italian dave said:

I’m guessing that (with some justification) a club wouldn’t really want to test that.

They’d pick up a lot of fines on the way, and the risk then moves to closing parts of the ground? Not a risk worth taking.

Some of the comments suggest that these two were offered seats in another part of the ground where they’d have been allowed to stand for longer (most of the game) and if that’s the case then Ive got even less sympathy for them.

Thanks, that's fair.

Yeah if offered seats in a more amenable area for standing although without the full story it's hard to say- standing on the back row seems fine to me irrespective of which area.

As to the wider point, what has happened to Leeds? Plenty stand there.

8 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It’s legitimate to officially move seats, if done through official channels, as has been said. The problem is the club has only sanctioned standing in the Dolman / South Stand corner. If those that move unilaterally decide to stand in amongst those that want to sit, then it really could be interesting 

Beyond the obvious of club/SAG sanctioned or otherwise areas, the key test then probably be are they blocking views or commanding season ticket or matchday ticket seats in that zone. Not suggesting they are going to but if those two criteria met I see no great grounds for problems.

Just now, Winterstoke toad said:

And championship and league one 

I think it varies case by case.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Beyond the obvious of club/SAG sanctioned or otherwise areas, the key test then probably be are they blocking views or commanding season ticket or matchday ticket seats in that zone. Not suggesting they are going to but if those two criteria met I see no great grounds for problems.

I think it varies case by case.

Ok but we must be one of the only clubs in the top 3 divisions that don’t have fans stood in a whole end behind the goal . I don’t see why we’re such a soft touch on everything. Go 40 miles down the road and you have cardiffs canton end and 40 miles the other way you have Swindon’s town end . I don’t see why we make everything so hard to create an atmosphere.

Its exactly why things like e34 on Saturday are going to end up happening and in all honesty I hope they succeed whether the club like it or not .

• SC&T Board Members

If fans in the end block of the Dolman were to stand persistently, there is no doubt that the SAG/SGSA would put pressure on the club to address that.

There are then only two possible solutions: (1) install rail seats or barriers to remove the risk of progressive crowd collapse, or (2) use draconian stewarding methods / stadium bans to force fans to sit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blagdon red said:

If fans in the end block of the Dolman were to stand persistently, there is no doubt that the SAG/SGSA would put pressure on the club to address that.

There are then only two possible solutions: (1) install rail seats or barriers to remove the risk of progressive crowd collapse, or (2) use draconian stewarding methods / stadium bans to force fans to sit.

Leeds though? Sure they have fans standing at the side also although I do undoubtedly agree with your post but I also I recall Millwall fans standing in 2018 and 2019 when I was in the away end.

6 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

Ok but we must be one of the only clubs in the top 3 divisions that don’t have fans stood in a whole end behind the goal . I don’t see why we’re such a soft touch on everything. Go 40 miles down the road and you have cardiffs canton end and 40 miles the other way you have Swindon’s town end . I don’t see why we make everything so hard to create an atmosphere.

Its exactly why things like e34 on Saturday are going to end up happening and in all honesty I hope they succeed whether the club like it or not .

To be fair behind the goal feels more natural really for standing, traditionally pre all seater it was behind goal at both ends. Standing- 'Ends'..one home, one away. Most of the iconic home 'Ends' spoken about in football ate big ones behind the goal. A fully or mostly standing South Stand would I suppose be the modern equivalent.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

To be fair behind the goal feels more natural really for standing, traditionally pre all seater it was behind goal at both ends. Standing- 'Ends'..one home, one away. Most of the iconic home 'Ends' spoken about in football ate big ones behind the goal. A fully or mostly standing South Stand would I suppose be the modern equivalent.

That would be amazing mate but under the current ownership anything like that would never happen . 

Edited by Winterstoke toad

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not really. Most clubs of our level and below who have all-seater stadia seem to have standing 'areas' as we do.. but hardly whole ends standing like you see in the Prem.

Middlesbrough, Birmingham ,Luton , Sunderland , West Brom , Norwich , Coventry ( equivalent of a whole stand ),Cardiff , Blackpool,Wednesday, Ipswich, derby , Barnsley, Wycombe, rovers ,Peterborough, port vale , charlton , Exeter , Portsmouth fleetwood,Lincoln and FGR all have whole ends . I’m sure I missed a few as well .

7 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

Middlesbrough, Birmingham ,Luton , Sunderland , West Brom , Norwich , Coventry ( equivalent of a whole stand ),Cardiff , Blackpool,Wednesday, Ipswich, derby , Barnsley, Wycombe, rovers ,Peterborough, port vale , charlton , Exeter , Portsmouth fleetwood,Lincoln and FGR all have whole ends . I’m sure I missed a few as well .

Some of those aren't all-seater stadia for a start. I don't think all the others are "whole ends" either. Just sections. 

27 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

Nearly everywhere does it mate city are just a soft touch

I remember some games in the last where I was surprised at the numbers who sat and this is mostly away but home too:

1) January 2011 at Palace. Not far away was their Holmesdale end lot in their early days. A chunk of away end were standing, stewards told away fans to sit down. To my shock most complied and sat down without much fuss. Obviously not going to be on my own and risk ejection!

2) Charlton away February 2016. Quite a good day and atmosphere but surprised at how many sat, took a friend for that away day experience!

3) Derby home, September 2017. Logic dictates that the higher up a stand and especially behind a goal you go, the more likely fans are to stand. Sort of an unwritten code! Obviously I took some friends from work fairly high up in the South Stand as near to Singing Section as possible. People behind us got pissy so obviously we complied but high up in a stand behind the goal well that's surprising!

4) Millwall away April 2018. This was a big surprise for me. We and them were level on points on the edge of playoffs, fairly sure we were quite high up, late season arriving at a key part of the season. Lots were seated in our block, cannot recall if again we were told to be seated not by stewards but by those behind us.

Some of these are genuinely surprising given the games or where in the ground it is.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

• SC&T Board Members
56 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Leeds though? Sure they have fans standing at the side also although I do undoubtedly agree with your post but I also I recall Millwall fans standing in 2018 and 2019 when I was in the away end.

Under pressure from their SAG, Leeds have installed rail seats in the 'worst' areas of persistent standing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Blagdon red said:

Under pressure from their SAG, Leeds have installed rail seats in the 'worst' areas of persistent standing.

Thanks, maybe was an oldish article I read then. Still it solved.two problems it permits standing and vocal support in some areas and it gets the SAG/SGSA off their back.

Sounds like what happened here was that persistent standing happened anyway, was a problem or deemed a problem for some years and conversion to Safe standing/rail seating was the issue as opposed to the threat of closure or partial closure etc.

I wonder how this would equate to the South Stand or parts of the Dolman?

• SC&T Board Members
2 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

I'm sure I could find it if I googled it, but is there a limit to how much rail seating we can install as a percentage of the ground? 

No limit, other than there must be some normal seating available for both home and away fans.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

I'd love to see the whole of the southstand as rail seating and even the bottom tier of the Dolman. 

I can't for the life of me figure out why the club doesn't actively look to encourage a modern yet energetic approach to its support and atmosphere. The concourse is fantastic and has a real Bristol City feel about it culturally, but once you step out into the stands that individuality is lost. 

There's so much to be gained from doing all we can to create a positive atmosphere at Ashton Gate. Johnson seemed to understand it, same with Cotts and probably GJ. 

Never seems to have got through to the board. Always hoped JL would see the light but he's disappeared off the face of the planet. 

Steve Lansdown eventually relented on some of the East End stuff in his younger days probably, now I dunno if his stance has changed somewhat.

From 2008. Definitely a change.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 minutes ago, sludge said:

it might not, but as long as it doesn’t make it any worse then there’s no downside? 

What's the upside? We all become aggressive then that rectifies the problem ? Come on, please !!

Edited by BigTone