IGNORED

‘A Block Ultras’

OliOTIB

55 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I see a certain level of comparison on the one level ie both are now very much the 'entertainment industry' but overall it's very different.

At football you can stand (periodically or occasionally in designated areas), sing, chant, laugh, cry, scream- okay there a a bit of poetic license in it but there is a distinct difference historically certainly.

Some fans will prefer to sit back and wait and get cheering or flat based on the performance, some will prefer to try and get the side going themselves. Whereas the theatre is a much more sit back and soak it in, passive experience.

Although I think crowds at football as a whole are probably more passive per capita than 20-25 years ago and perhaps less. Let alone 30 years and more.

I know this is gonna be a ridiculous thing, but with Bentley, Massengo, Dasilva out of the line-up are we missing some player songs for the crowd to at least generate some noise?  Can’t seem to recall a player song sang since football returned after the WC?

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I see a certain level of comparison on the one level ie both are now very much the 'entertainment industry' but overall it's very different.

At football you can stand (periodically or occasionally in designated areas), sing, chant, laugh, cry, scream- okay there a a bit of poetic license in it but there is a distinct difference historically certainly.

Some fans will prefer to sit back and wait and get cheering or flat based on the performance, some will prefer to try and get the side going themselves. Whereas the theatre is a much more sit back and soak it in, passive experience.

Although I think crowds at football as a whole are probably more passive per capita than 20-25 years ago and perhaps less. Let alone 30 years and more.

I agree my theatre analogy was probably not the best example.  Other than that I agree with what you say.  Everyone is different and show support of the team in their own way.  Why can't some understand this ?  I just think that "banter" in close proximity with away supporters can very easily lead to aggression which the club doesn't need.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

I agree my theatre analogy was probably not the best example.  Other than that I agree with what you say.  Everyone is different and show support of the team in their own way.  Why can't some understand this ?  I just think that "banter" in close proximity with away supporters can very easily lead to aggression which the club doesn't need.

Between 2007 and 2013 when the EE was used to be partizan I can't remember a single time when it got out of hand and lead to aggression? Lots of banter between two sets of fans and a decent atmosphere which did in turn help the team on the pitch especially during the GJ years.

I think you're thinking of the most extreme case and worst case scenario. This club has been an absolute dead atmosphere since the ground was redeveloped, tbh I preferred how it used to be

• Like 2

Just now, 2015 said:

Between 2007 and 2013 when the EE was used to be partizan I can't remember a single time when it got out of hand and lead to aggression? Lots of banter between two sets of fans and a decent atmosphere which did in turn help the team on the pitch especially during the GJ years.

I think you're thinking of the most extreme case and worst case scenario. This club has been an absolute dead atmosphere since the ground was redeveloped, tbh I preferred how it used to be

In fairness though it's completely different these days sure all football fans say the same that it isn't and never will be again like the old days. All seater stadiums put an end to it.

10 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Yep, we've had enough time to evaluate the new ground now after the novelty has worn off.

The new stands, as impressive as they look and comfortable as they may be, are yet to feel like home to me.

The redevelopment has shown the extent of my emotional attachment to the old stands and I really miss the EE and the Grandstand/Enclosure.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, we've had enough time to evaluate the new ground now after the novelty has worn off.

The new stands, as impressive as they look and comfortable as they may be, are yet to feel like home to me.

The redevelopment has shown the extent of my emotional attachment to the old stands and I really miss the EE and the Grandstand/Enclosure.

To me and i'm sorry to say it, it's not 'Bristol City'. Projecting some kind of atmosphere back to the place would help rejuvenate this, even if things did get aggressive then so be it. The place has been dead for a long time and has been attracting way too many day trippers

• Like 1

Good luck to all moving to dolman tomorrow, ENJOY yourselves that’s what you pay your money for -entertainment and enjoyment so go for it ,let loose and maybe learn a few new songs off the older lads up there .I see there’s less than 300 tickets left in A block and only 70 in B block so about 1300 in both sold should lend to a good atmosphere, moving forward the s82 corner should be moved to centre of south stand ( old east end ) next season creating area where the singers can  congregate and people who want to join in can add to the wings either side .I know some season ticket holders will moan but you still have another 20 odd thousand seats to choose from and if it brings us all together then let’s get it done , by the way it would also impact my seat 

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Lord Northski said:

Great idea to encourage a good atmosphere in an ordinary world. Adding quite a few pints of cider makes it a lot more volatile. Unlikely to be managed on all occasions. Wouldn't like to be a steward having to separate two rival factions. Could this be foreseen? Yes

How do other clubs manage it out of interest? Reading e.g. have some of their livelier fans in the same stand as their sway separated by a line or two of stewards and where appropriate, police.

It is often cited thst PL clubs have line of stewards separating, not every ground of course.

Millwall is s bit different as they can't/won't sell the lower tier of the away end most of the time but again at the side there are some livelier fans. Think Swansea as well, lower tier aside.

I do understand logistical issues but to stick noisier fans so far away from the away end seems like overkill.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BigTone said:

It might come in handy when they're passing the ball around near the penalty area. Everyone could shout " He's behind you!"

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, KegCity said:

Some people will never be happy. Moan about S82 not supporting the team, moan that Ashton Gate isn’t a tough place to come and then moan about people moving to a different part of the ground to try and create an atmosphere. All while spending 90 minutes sat in silence. 

The S82 guys can’t win with some fans.

I think you need to remember that most of the negative posters probably stood on the old east end (myself included).

We were the only group that sang and bought atmosphere. We were the beating heart and the centre of vociferous support. We started chanting at 2 o'clock not sometime after 3 after something happened. We cranked up and built an atmosphere. 

If there was a large group of opposition supporters, fine. If there wasn't, fine. Made no difference.

Section 82 got what it asked for. You can now stand up. You are also in the best area ( between the rest of the South stand and the Dolman) to get others to sing.

Come on, you have one job......

Just now, Galley is our king said:

I think you need to remember that most of the negative posters probably stood on the old east end (myself included).

We were the only group that sang and bought atmosphere. We were the beating heart and the centre of vociferous support. We started chanting at 2 o'clock not sometime after 3 after something happened. We cranked up and built an atmosphere. 

If there was a large group of opposition supporters, fine. If there wasn't, fine. Made no difference.

Section 82 got what it asked for. You can now stand up. You are also in the best area ( between the rest of the South stand and the Dolman) to get others to sing.

No, we all have one job, which is to support the team. If you’re not happy with S82’s efforts you’re more than welcome to show them how it’s done. If you’re there with your mouth closed for the entire game then you’ve not got a leg to stand on in my opinion.

I’m not saying S82 doesn’t have its flaws by the way, but seeing people who don’t do anything to generate atmosphere whine about those that do annoys me.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, KegCity said:

No, we all have one job, which is to support the team. If you’re not happy with S82’s efforts you’re more than welcome to show them how it’s done. If you’re there with your mouth closed for the entire game then you’ve not got a leg to stand on in my opinion.

I’m not saying S82 doesn’t have its flaws by the way, but seeing people who don’t do anything to generate atmosphere whine about those that do annoys me.

Sorry you miss understand me, you do help create an atmosphere, but not nearly enough....

11 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Sorry you miss understand me, you do help create an atmosphere, but not nearly enough....

Unsure the location helps. Towards the centre of the stand maybe better...in theory bring in the corner can or should be able to spark the Dolman and South Stand but it doesn't seem to have often had the desired effect.

1 hour ago, Galley is our king said:

The main issue for me with S82 is it has never been big enough, it needs to expand at least a block or even two blocks across the south stand IMO.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

58 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

The main issue for me with S82 is it has never been big enough, it needs to expand at least a block or even two blocks across the south stand IMO.

But having standers in the corner makes sense, as they don’t block the view of anyone who wants to sit.

5 minutes ago, Leveller said:

But having standers in the corner makes sense, as they don’t block the view of anyone who wants to sit.

Not if you make the whole end safe standing or the upper parts of the whole end, as was originally the plan.

Corner sections is the worst place in a ground to stick your noisiest fans, hence why you’re most likely to be shoved in a corner when visiting new/ish stadiums. 

• Like 1

Just now, Betty Swallocks said:

Not if you make the whole end safe standing or the upper parts of the whole end, as was originally the plan.

Corner sections is the worst place in a ground to stick your noisiest fans, hence why you’re most likely to be shoved in a corner when visiting new/ish stadiums. 

The question is of course, what will the SAG allow although I do agree with your post. Ashton Gate seems logistically difficult or the powers that be seem to make it that!

10 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Spot on 

A lot of posters on here seem to forget that nearly every other club in all seaters has a whole end of home fans standing yet according to them at City it’s not possible ??

14 minutes ago, KegCity said:

As a short arse I can confirm you can still see above the heads of those standing in front of you if you want to sit down.

Depends a bit on whether it’s a short arse standing in front of you! 

My experience in the old days of terraces was that it was always the biggest lump in the ground who’d come and stand in front of you at 2.59pm. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Depends a bit on whether it’s a short arse standing in front of you! 

My experience in the old days of terraces was that it was always the biggest lump in the ground who’d come and stand in front of you at 2.59pm. 

Sorry about that 

• Haha 2

One for @Blagdon red as he seems to know a lot about Safe Standing etc. Apologies if you've already covered these in part.

Basically if the club became a bit more willing and perhaps assertive in this regard, what sort of hoops woukd they need to jump through for a bigger Safe Standing or similar area, what are the regulatory issues, timeframe etc? I know it can vary or again sticking the away fans (subject to minimum allocation requirements) in a corner of a side stand...two blocks in Dolman say to fit with the 2k v 10 pct of capacity regs.

• SC&T Board Members
21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One for @Blagdon red as he seems to know a lot about Safe Standing etc. Apologies if you've already covered these in part.

Basically if the club became a bit more willing and perhaps assertive in this regard, what sort of hoops woukd they need to jump through for a bigger Safe Standing or similar area, what are the regulatory issues, timeframe etc? I know it can vary or again sticking the away fans (subject to minimum allocation requirements) in a corner of a side stand...two blocks in Dolman say to fit with the 2k v 10 pct of capacity regs.

In simple terms, the club could configure any part of the ground for safe standing. One key criteria, however, will always been maintaining clear sightlines for seated fans in adjacent blocks.

That's why a 'cheese wedge' shape in a corner works well, and why individual blocks of a rectangular stand don't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

11 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

In simple terms, the club could configure any part of the ground for safe standing. One key criteria, however, will always been maintaining clear sightlines for seated fans in adjacent blocks.

That's why a 'cheese wedge' shape in a corner works well, and why individual blocks of a rectangular stand don't.

Thank you.

Moving or expanding from the South Stand or similar sounds tricky then?

Alternatively home fans and more this time of an 'end' in the Atyeo and 2k for away fans in either the Lansdown or Dolman? Seems logistically difficult at this stage.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thank you.

Moving or expanding from the South Stand or similar sounds tricky then?

Alternatively home fans and more this time of an 'end' in the Atyeo and 2k for away fans in either the Lansdown or Dolman? Seems logistically difficult at this stage.

Or simply revert to the original plan: Standing across the back of the south stand as was promised. 

• Like 4