IGNORED

‘A Block Ultras’

OliOTIB

11 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Or simply revert to the original plan: Standing across the back of the south stand as was promised. 

Seems reasonable. Pardon my ignorance but is there a reason why this has never happened ? Certain regulations maybe ?

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

In simple terms, the club could configure any part of the ground for safe standing. One key criteria, however, will always been maintaining clear sightlines for seated fans in adjacent blocks.

That's why a 'cheese wedge' shape in a corner works well, and why individual blocks of a rectangular stand don't.

Thanks. 

Are there any limitations size-wise? 

At Palace and at Huddersfield for example they seem to have quite big areas. At Huddersfield it’s next to away fans with a ‘no man’s land’ in between which I guess helps with the sightlines. But at Palace it seems to be all one end. 

So could it be, for example, the whole South Stand? (Presumably the ‘bowl’ design of three sides of AG doesn’t help either)? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Or simply revert to the original plan: Standing across the back of the south stand as was promised. 

That seems a fair way to go, can't see any problems with (short of dislocation of fans I guess but there have been moved before).

Initially placing the Heineken Lounge near a noisier vocal area with language seemed a problem but the Lansdown being built has resolved all of that.

35 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That seems a fair way to go, can't see any problems with (short of dislocation of fans I guess but there have been moved before).

Initially placing the Heineken Lounge near a noisier vocal area with language seemed a problem but the Lansdown being built has resolved all of that.

I'm not sure moving fans again just because they have been moved before is the right thing to do.

I don't know where you sit @Mr Popodopolous but if you currently sit with family or friends the chances of replicating that somewhere else in the stadium is remote  especially given the sheer numbers involved.

How would you feel if you were told to move your seat?

People should retain their current seats and the thought of a large number of fans trying to force their way into another section appauls me.

People bought the ticket for their current seat, no one forced them it was their choice. If they want to move to a different location, there's always next season.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

I'm not sure moving fans again just because they have been moved before is the right thing to do.

I don't know where you sit @Mr Popodopolous but if you currently sit with family or friends the chances of replicating that somewhere else in the stadium is remote  especially given the sheer numbers involved.

How would you feel if you were told to move your seat?

People should retain their current seats and the thought of a large number of fans trying to force their way into another section appauls me.

People bought the ticket for their current seat, no one forced them it was their choice. If they want to move to a different location, there's always next season.

Fair response.

Firstly any kind of fans moving into seats of others be they season ticket or matchday ticket sold won't be acceptable so I don't see that occurring.

It does seem that it is difficult to please everyone, the club probably should have planned things differently on redevelopment. Any shift around surely would require significant consultation and high levels of uptake. Albeit some fans in existing parts of the ground might appreciate sticking around and being part of the atmosphere.

Next season is a good point for them although in theory if some of them buy tickets in E34 who knows. Season tickets in E34 for some maybe. Any type of attempted block invasion would cause issues without doubt.

I don't think the Singing Section is in an ideal location though but what the solution is well I don't know.

• SC&T Board Members
2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fair response.

Firstly any kind of fans moving into seats of others be they season ticket or matchday ticket sold won't be acceptable so I don't see that occurring.

It does seem that it is difficult to please everyone, the club probably should have planned things differently on redevelopment. Any shift around surely would require significant consultation and high levels of uptake. Albeit some fans in existing parts of the ground might appreciate sticking around and being part of the atmosphere.

Next season is a good point for them although in theory if some of them buy tickets in E34 who knows. Season tickets in E34 for some maybe. Any type of attempted block invasion would cause issues without doubt.

I don't think the Singing Section is in an ideal location though but what the solution is well I don't know.

IF one were of the view that the S82 corner is a good place for vocal home support, and one wanted to expand it, the logical place is the full width of the rear of the South Stand, coming down to in line with the Heineken and mirror-image terraces. That way no sightline issues would be created for fans sitting lower down the South Stand or in the South Stand / Lansdown corner.

Personally, if I was CEO and had a magic wand, I'd make the entire Atyeo a standing home end and charge my architects with finding a solution for housing away fans. That would not be an easy task, but nothing is impossible.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

16 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

Personally, if I was CEO and had a magic wand, I'd make the entire Atyeo a standing home end and charge my architects with finding a solution for housing away fans. That would not be an easy task, but nothing is impossible.

That's the best idea I've seen on here. A whole stand for standing. Away fans could go E34 and E33 in that instance, similar to Norwich. 

In terms of expanding the corner, S24 wouldn't encroach sight lines either, I'm on the edge of S25 and still outside of the corner flag/touchline.

1 minute ago, Puckle_red said:

That's the best idea I've seen on here. A whole stand for standing. Away fans could go E34 and E33 in that instance, similar to Norwich. 

In terms of expanding the corner, S24 wouldn't encroach sight lines either, I'm on the edge of S25 and still outside of the corner flag/touchline.

I would make the whole of the South Stand standing also.  We shouldn't forget that traditionally seating was always at the side of the pitch.  Will never happen though! 

40 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

If you were a CEO and depended upon magic wands to make things happen you wouldn’t last very long. Magic spells have a tendency to go wrong. We don’t want a jelly flood at Ashton Gate

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

If you were a CEO and depended upon magic wands to make things happen you wouldn’t last very long. Magic spells have a tendency to go wrong. We don’t want a jelly flood at Ashton Gate

I wish my kids were still young enough to watch Ben & Holly.  We need Big Bad Barry in midfield!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• Admin
1 hour ago, Puckle_red said:

Not enough space for separate turnstiles for away fans and then a large enough area remaining for home fans 

Sadly as it is currently designed options are very limited 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Whilst I'd never criticise an individual's efforts to create an atmosphere, calling them 'Ultras' is rather ironic to say the least. 

Quite so. Whilst Ultras contain the most passionate and vociferous supporters, there is often a violent racist element. I’m sure that a lot of the City supporters who called themselves Ultras don’t really know what the terminology means 

• Like 2

Criticism of the ground is coming from such a narrow perspective, the sales of rose tinted glasses must be one of the reasons for a slight up turn in the economy.

When the ground was in it's previous condition, all I used to hear was the opposite moans on here, we wanted a ground to be proud of, now it's here and it's the target of moans too.

I realise it's "it's not how it used to be" but it's what the majority wanted and got. In the past, when the club was struggling, the gates would drop into the low teens at best, nowadays it's notable if they drop into the high teens.

I worry that all this "we want our club back" stuff, is just that.... people who want their own cosy little private club that they don't have to share with newcomers, the families and the "corporates". So just at the time when the club needs to be generating as much income as possible, we have a group of people who seem to want push those people away.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 6
  • Flames 4

41 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Criticism of the ground is coming from such a narrow perspective, the sales of rose tinted glasses must be one of the reasons for a slight up turn in the economy.

When the ground was in it's previous condition, all I used to hear was the opposite moans on here, we wanted a ground to be proud of, now it's here and it's the target of moans too.

I realise it's "it's not how it used to be" but it's what the majority wanted and got. In the past, when the club was struggling, the gates would drop into the low teens at best, nowadays it's notable if they drop into the high teens.

I worry that all this "we want our club back" stuff, is just that.... people who want their own cosy little private club that they don't have to share with newcomers, the families and the "corporates". So just at the time when the club needs to be generating as much income as possible, we have a group of people who seem to want push those people away.

I don’t miss there not being locks on the toilet doos when I want a dump 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

And when it looked like we might move to Ashton Vale, how many times did you hear the hope that we’d not end up in a soulless bowl of a new ground, but stay at our traditional home and make that better. 

And, for me, we did just that. In terms of facilities, made it better than I think most of us could have ever dreamed of. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

8 minutes ago, italian dave said:

And when it looked like we might move to Ashton Vale, how many times did you hear the hope that we’d not end up in a soulless bowl of a new ground, but stay at our traditional home and make that better. 

And, for me, we did just that. In terms of facilities, made it better than I think most of us could have ever dreamed of. 

Agree about the move to a soulless new ground and the desire to remain home . 
However, it’s right to try a few home improvements for the sake of a better atmosphere and backing for the team … reckon the Dolman a and b plan is a good one ,

Also not sure we can’t also have a few blocks of Ayteo - we did for the Man U cup game. Right next to away fans would help n all. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, The chief said:

However, it’s right to try a few home improvements for the sake of a better atmosphere and backing for the team … reckon the Dolman a and b plan is a good one ,

Also not sure we can’t also have a few blocks of Ayteo - we did for the Man U cup game. Right next to away fans would help n all. 

Were city fans in atyeo that night? 

10 minutes ago, The chief said:

Of course the answer is we can, the club choose not to. 

The best place for our singing section would be a quarter or a third of the Atyeo next to the Dolman. This could absolutely be done with segregation. 

Edited by One Team

3 minutes ago, The chief said:

Oh, sure: wouldn’t argue with that at all. 

I think what @Port Said Red and I were referring back to were comments about the whole ground redevelopment having killed things off, preferring the old EE and Williams etc.

Atmosphere is about a lot more than just the architecture. It’s probably about the sum of everything mentioned on here: the numbers making a noise, what the team does on the pitch, where the singers are located (although the really good atmosphere is when everyone gets involved).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You would say that though, you’d already decided you were going to be negative about the idea.

Well done to them I say, took initiative and did a lot more for the atmosphere today than you did.

I live in France buddy so a tad difficult. However, messages I received from friends at the game basically said much as I thought.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I live in France buddy so a tad difficult. However, messages I received from friends at the game basically said much as I thought.

The players who went out of their way to clap the area FT (and who usually ignore it) may disagree. Noise levels above anything this season, two blocks going at it got the whole ground singing at times. Ridiculously negative attitude, what’s the point? 

Edited by Bouncearoundtheground
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1