IGNORED

‘A Block Ultras’

OliOTIB

Just now, BigTone said:

All I said was that the proposed noise didn't come over on Robin's TV. Others I know who attended the game said the same from the Lansdown. If you want to sing then sing and good luck to you. I frankly dont give a crap. You can sing Boyzones greatest hits for all I care. Remember though that not everybody shows their support in the same way, however they pay their £30 odd entry fee in the same way you do. It doesn't make them any less a fan.

You do realise when you see a game on Sky, they place microphones all around the stadium? They aren’t going to do that for RobinsTV

Just now, Henry said:

You do realise when you see a game on Sky, they place microphones all around the stadium? They aren’t going to do that for RobinsTV

Yes I do but had feedback from people in attendance also. Could be down to crap acoustics in the stadium also i understand 

First time in a while we haven’t been completely out-sung by away fans. No ‘is this a library’ etc etc from the start. Obviously the result helps but having home fans close to the away fans tends to quieten them down somewhat in my opinion. It looks/feels more intimidating for away fans as well as opposed to them dominating that end both sound wise and visually. Obviously it needs to be done in a safe way and existing season ticket holders respected but no need for any negativity. Anything to improve the atmosphere and help the team on the pitch should be encouraged. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BigTone said:

All I said was that the proposed noise didn't come over on Robin's TV. Others I know who attended the game said the same from the Lansdown. If you want to sing then sing and good luck to you. I frankly dont give a crap. You can sing Boyzones greatest hits for all I care. Remember though that not everybody shows their support in the same way, however they pay their £30 odd entry fee in the same way you do. It doesn't make them any less a fan.

Sounded good from the top tier of the Lansdown. Maybe more work to work in unison with the other section but for a first go, it was impressive. 

• Like 1

I’m happy this happened and I genuinely think there should be an initiative for fans to move their season tickets over to there next season - which would prevent the overcrowding issues some regulars in there have mentioned. 

However, regards the actual atmosphere itself, this is the funny/strange anomaly of Ashton Gate. 
I now sit in the family stand these days, and am pretty much equidistant to S82 and the away fans. 
In recent games there’s not been a great deal of noise arising from S82. 
Today, all I heard was S82. I didn’t actually hear the A Blockers at all - only once, in the 2nd half singing east end arising. 
S82 were definitely louder than they’ve been for a couple of months - which was obviously minus the 300 who’d moved. 
As I say, it’s an anomaly with Ashton Gate. The guys in A Block were clearly singing - I could see all the gestures associated with the songs, but I couldn’t actually hear it from the upper Lansdown. 
Atmos was good today. And as I say, S82 were louder than usual. There was clearly a positive impact by this move. 
All I’d say is - move there properly in the summer renewals and make it a proper permanent atmospheric place. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 7

Just now, Betty Swallocks said:

Sounded good from the top tier of the Lansdown. Maybe more work to work in unison with the other section but for a first go, it was impressive. 

As I say maybe down to stadium acoustics. TBH I'm not 100% sure where my friends were located in the Lansdown.

16 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Again trying to divert the discussion to somewhere irrelevant?

I think you just need to take the L on this one Tony. You were needlessly negative for the sake of it and have a slapped botty to show for it. Don't let it happen again :punish:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’m happy this happened and I genuinely think there should be an initiative for fans to move their season tickets over to there next season - which would prevent the overcrowding issues some regulars in there have mentioned. 

However, regards the actual atmosphere itself, this is the funny/strange anomaly of Ashton Gate. 
I now sit in the family stand these days, and am pretty much equidistant to S82 and the away fans. 
Today, all I heard was S82. I didn’t actually hear the A Blockers at all - only once, in the 2nd half singing east end arising. 
S82 were definitely louder than they’ve been for a couple of months - which was obviously minus the 300 who’d moved. 
As I say, it’s an anomaly with Ashton Gate. The guys in A Block were clearly singing - I could see all the gestures associated with the songs, but I couldn’t actually hear it from the upper Lansdown. 
Atmos was good today. And as I say, S82 were louder than usual. There was clearly a positive impact by this move. 
All I’d say is - move there properly in the summer renewals and make it a proper permanent atmospheric place. 

Sound doesn't travel so well between certain parts of the ground. Definitely could see them making noise but couldn't hear much if that makes sense. Am sure it was vocal in there however. Wonder if it encouraged others in there to join in at times. 

46 minutes ago, BigTone said:

So the fact that the term Ultras generally refers to those with violent and racist ideals is ok with you ? Sorry to be pernickety. Obviously my mistake.

All you've managed to do here is show that you don't know what ultras means!

Volume of noise is related. If I stand in my living room with 3 other people and we all shout it sounds loud. It’s the same with people moving to A block. I’m sure they sounded loud to themselves and others in certain parts of the ground but in E30, where it sit, I hardly heard them.  The most noise came from the standing section at the corner of the Dolman / South Stand 

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think you just need to take the L on this one Tony. You were needlessly negative for the sake of it and have a slapped botty to show for it. Don't let it happen again :punish:

Of course Darling 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Pezo said:

All you've managed to do here is show that you don't know what ultras means!

Oh dear, here is the most ignorant & uneducated of posts for a very long time. Go do some research Sweetie.

Edited by BigTone

Myself , someone who used to love a sing song in A andB block hats off to all who congregated up there .Those 2 blocks house about 1600 and if we could get this crowd together every game it makes all the difference, I now sit in south stand behind goal and it looked impressive and the S82 at our end also played their part so let’s keep it up and get behind the team for the rest of season COYR 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Sorry Mum

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, reddoc said:

Ok for a bit of context, firstly , I loved the atmosphere, had a season ticket in Block A for years, initially due to the fact it had the more vocal fans in it, which sadly became diluted over the years.

However it was massively over capacity today which is obviously unsafe if allowed to continue, as mentioned above many season ticket holders couldn't access their seats, and due to the standing throughout the game many people who aren't able to stand or are vertically compromised such as my missus couldn't see. Now when this problem arises in away games the solution put forward is to move to the front, but this was frankly not possible.

What did surprise me was how polite my pubescent little friends were, so credit to them there, but if block A is to be reclaimed as a singing section these problems need sorting out.

44 minutes ago, glynriley said:

As a ST holder in B block, I enjoyed today. No doubt the result was the biggest factor, but the noise created by the new arrivals was very welcome. 
Maybe different if we’re 2 nil down mind. 

Good to hear that it was largely positive even if there were a few little issues. 

Good to hear it was done politely and I assume largely "legally".

I'm glad it coincided with a very good win as well, that will always help things to go smoothly.

41 minutes ago, Harry said:

I'm sat around 20 rows back in the middle of the lower Lansdown and had the same experience. I think I'm probably about an equal distance from both groups - but S82 are directly facing me which might make a difference.

Looked good either way so good luck to them.

25 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Oh dear, here is the most ignorant & uneducated of posts for a very long time. Go do some research Sweetie.

Taken from Wikipedia

Ultras are a type of association football fans who are renowned for their fanatical support. The term originated in Italy, but is used worldwide to describe predominantly organised fans of association football teams. The behavioural tendency of ultras groups includes their use of flares (primarily in tifo choreography), vocal support in large groups and the displaying of banners at football stadiums, all of which are designed to create an atmosphere which encourages their own team and intimidates the opposing players and their supporters. 

While ultras groups can become violent, the majority of matches attended by ultras conclude with no violent incidents. Unlike hooligan firms, whose main aim is to fight hooligans of other clubs, the main focus of ultras is generally to support their own team.

i.e. they are not hooligans, they are not there for violence, so maybe you should have done some more research and not just read what you wanted to read sweetie!

1 minute ago, Pezo said:

Taken from Wikipedia

Ultras are a type of association football fans who are renowned for their fanatical support. The term originated in Italy, but is used worldwide to describe predominantly organised fans of association football teams. The behavioural tendency of ultras groups includes their use of flares (primarily in tifo choreography), vocal support in large groups and the displaying of banners at football stadiums, all of which are designed to create an atmosphere which encourages their own team and intimidates the opposing players and their supporters. 

While ultras groups can become violent, the majority of matches attended by ultras conclude with no violent incidents. Unlike hooligan firms, whose main aim is to fight hooligans of other clubs, the main focus of ultras is generally to support their own team.

i.e. they are not hooligans, they are not there for violence, so maybe you should have done some more research and not just read what you wanted to read sweetie!

Od dear, you have so much to learn Junior.  One day when you wear big boy trousers you will realise the error of your ways. Bless

48 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Of course Darling 

45 minutes ago, BigTone said:

33 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Sorry Mum

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Od dear, you have so much to learn Junior.  One day when you wear big boy trousers you will realise the error of your ways. Bless

I think you know you've lost an argument when you respond with petty replies.

• Like 17

18 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Sorry but BigTone said ultras "generally refers to those with violent and racist ideals". This is wrong they generally refer to organised groups that use flares (primarily in tifo choreography), vocal support in large groups and the displaying of banners at football stadiums.

hooligans generally refers to those with violent ideals and racists tends to refer to those with racist ideals.

3 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Sorry but BigTone said ultras "generally refers to those with violent and racist ideals". This is wrong they generally refer to organised groups that use flares (primarily in tifo choreography), vocal support in large groups and the displaying of banners at football stadiums.

hooligans generally refers to those with violent ideals and racists tends to refer to those with racist ideals.

Did you read the article I linked to? The author lives in Italy and has researched and written a book on the Ultras.

Let's just say there are elements of Ultra culture we wouldn't ideally want to aspire to. Though I don't think the phenomenon ever got embedded in English football anyway.

• Like 2

I was impressed with how many made the effort to make the move to the Dolman and it looked like a huge effort was being made throughout.

I was in the Heineken corner today and annoyingly very little of it could be heard but the atmosphere in general, probably be of the performance and result was much better.

I’ll be interested to find out how things sound when I’m back in my W16 Lansdown seat next week. Just need the same performance on the pitch.