IGNORED

‘A Block Ultras’

OliOTIB

3 hours ago, Super said:

Best post on this thread. I enjoyed the atmosphere but people who have paid money for a season ticket should take priority. Pretty poor that some on here don't seem to care about these fans.

Going forward if A block does become a new standing area then existing fans in that block may be left with the choice of either staying in there next season and being apart of it or moving along a block or two.

At the end of the day i hear what people like @spudski and others are saying and respect needs to be shown, equally however if this movement does actually equate to helping improve a better atmosphere at AG then i think everyone at the club needs to get behind it to be honest.

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Going forward if A block does become a new standing area then existing fans in that block may be left with the choice of either staying in there next season and being apart of it or moving along a block or two.

At the end of the day i hear what people like @spudski and others are saying and respect needs to be shown, equally however if this movement does actually equate to a better atmosphere at AG then i think everyone at the club needs to get behind it to be honest.

Yep, 100%. Needs to be supported for the greater good of everyone attending who surely must enjoy a better atmosphere, I completely agree and it was great to hear Pearson and others in the media comment about it on Saturday after the game.   But the lads going in there must respect those that are in there at the moment, firstly for common decencies sake and secondly to ensure  that there are no issues (or as little as possible) whilst any transition happens.  

Edited by lenred
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

At the end of the day i hear what people like @spudski and others are saying and respect needs to be shown, equally however if this movement does actually equate to helping improve a better atmosphere at AG then i think everyone at the club needs to get behind it to be honest.

Agreed. As respectfully as possible it would be for the greater good. 

4 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Agree with you i wouldn't have a problem next season. These people can easily relocate, but they have bought a ST this season and the club should make sure they are the priority.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What I would say is that, if people are snaffling season ticket holders seats or those of those who paid for matchday tickets that won't stand. Objectively speaking that won't stand.

The other stuff is more up for debate but that won't do the cause of those who want to do it correctly any favours.

That's going to be part of the blocker. People paying Dolman Stand prices being prevented from sitting in their seats by people paying South Stand prices.

The club probably won't be bending over backwards to appease them any more.  Wanted cheaper tickets and got them (no idea if that's still the case though).  Wanted rail seating and got them.  Moving to another part of the ground following this install and turfing out long term STH's?  I'm not seeing the club being too enthusiastic about it.  And if they do go for it, then those that make the move should expect to pay Dolman Stand prices for their tickets.

The noise wasn't travelling too far and S82 seemed a lot louder from S20.  Acoustics being the obvious reason.  No doubt it did seem much louder to the B-Block and away fans though.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Let's be honest here. 

The reason people have moved to A block in the Dolman, is not to create an atmosphere in general.

They've moved there to be as near to the away fans as possible and to give it the big one, trade insults and do a lot of posturing. It's lads, lads, lads, get the stone Island badge in, Inbetweeners on steroids and coke. 

It's got nothing to do with supporting the team and getting behind the lads.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 2

17 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I thought it was quite interesting that there wasn’t any pictures or videos of that section shared by the club on social media. They shared some of S82.

I wonder whether this was deliberate - my instinct is that they will not like this at all and try to put a stop to it. 

The club are I would suggest treading a fine line so best so sit on the fence a bit, head below the parapet etc.

While there was quite a bit of positivity about it, there have also been complaints on social media in particular pertaining to the issue of seats and or overcrowding. The club have to be seen to be acting responsibly etc.

While it looked good fun in there, the club need to present as responsible and risk free an image as possible and longer term need to find a solution to satisfy all- and that second bit it won't be easy!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

The move is clearly beneficial to the atmosphere but if it's going to be done (and I really think we should go for it) it has to be done properly and not at the expense of one another. The atmosphere was significantly better on Saturday and the performance suggests the players liked it.

I know it's well trodden ground but giving away fans an entire stand and tucking our most vocal supporters in a corner is the complete wrong way around. A set up that will benefit the atmosphere could genuinely equate to many more points in a season. All the talk of fine margins in modern football, this is a really obvious and highly beneficial move that should have bee acted on yonks ago.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Oh yeah? When was that then? 70s? 80s? 90s? Fan behaviour was exemplarily back then, of course...

brent-david.gif

It’s laughable isn’t it mate. Football grounds are unrecognisable from the 70s 80s and the majority of the 90s yet it seems to be mainly blokes from that generation who are taking this moral high ground on the youth of today.

Were there any arrests on Saturday from A block?…From what i can gather it was a decent attempt albeit slightly poorly organised which in fairness was to be expected as it was mainly younger fans behind it. It seems as if they need a few older heads around them to guide them in the right direction IMO.

Like i said if season ticket holders are getting turfed out of seats then that is bang out of order and of course if this A block movement wants to get any serious traction then they will have to liaise with the club, that is a given.

All that is needed is a bit of give and take by both sides and not this constant ‘back in my day it wouldn’t have happened’ bollox that is being spouted on here left right and centre. 

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 7

33 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The club are I would suggest treading a fine line so best so sit on the fence a bit, head below the parapet etc.

While there was quite a bit of positivity about it, there have also been complaints on social media in particular pertaining to the issue of seats and or overcrowding. The club have to be seen to be acting responsibly etc.

While it looked good fun in there, the club need to present as responsible and risk free an image as possible and longer term need to find a solution to satisfy all- and that second bit it won't be easy!

It was quite good fun once things calmed down, but my wife probably won't go on Saturday because quite frankly she was scared and got knocked around a bit. Nothing malicious, just an inevitability of the crush going on. We probably would have left before kick off, but there was no way out and it was safer to stay put.

I saw many parents with little kids leaving as they saw the situation develop, quite understandably, and I doubt they'll risk it this weekend either. We can't allow genuine supporters who through no fault of their own, are being forced to make a decision whether to attend or not purely due to the fact they need to protect their family. That's unacceptable.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

It’s laughable isn’t it mate. Football grounds are unrecognisable from the 70s 80s and the majority of the 90s yet it seems to be mainly blokes from that generation who are taking this moral high ground on the youth of today.

Were there any arrests on Saturday from A block?…From what i can gather it was a decent attempt albeit slightly poorly organised which in fairness was to be expected as it was mainly younger fans behind it. It seems as if they need a few older heads around them to guide them in the right direction IMO.

Like i said if season ticket holders are getting turfed out of seats then that is bang out of order and of course if this A block movement wants to get any serious traction then they will have to liaise with the club, that is a given.

All that is needed is a bit of give and take by both sides and not this constant ‘back in my day it wouldn’t have happened’ bollox that is being spouted on here left right and centre. 

Can we stop with the sensible and balanced replies, please.

I want OUTRAGE and a complete lack of sensible discussion, until everyone is as frustrated, annoyed, inconvenienced and upset, this issue just isn't remotely covered. 

(As as aside, my obsersation of the game from the Lansdown on Saturday suggested the following. S82 was less populated than usual in the first half with Block A of the Dolman clearly more packed than usual, in the second half, S82 appeared to be as busy as usual, with Block A even more packed) - which suggests that between the two areas, there are enough fans who want to stand and sing, and those who want to goad visiting supporters so that as something which might add to the atmosphere, this could have legs. The only thing that might scupper this, would be if those who have intentions to move to Block A don't work with the club who in turn could work with existing A Block season ticket holders to find a solution that works for everyone). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I welcome anything that creates more home fan noise at AG.  Some excited lads were singing in the concourse before the game and stood more or less throughout near the front of what was Dolman C. But they aided the atmos, and Pearson praised fans in general for creating some noise throughout the game.  It must be very dispiriting to play in silence with only the inevitable "is this a library?" breaking the 5-decibel barrier. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I welcome anything that creates more home fan noise at AG.  Some excited lads were singing in the concourse before the game and stood more or less throughout near the front of what was Dolman C. But they aided the atmos, and Pearson praised fans in general for creating some noise throughout the game.  It must be very dispiriting to play in silence with only the inevitable "is this a library?" breaking the 5-decibel barrier. 

Think atmosphere can rise and fall usually but subject to what happens on the pitch- Watford before the international break.

However Saturday felt different as it was noisy from the off- Block C being upper E32?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Let's be honest here. 

The reason people have moved to A block in the Dolman, is not to create an atmosphere in general.

They've moved there to be as near to the away fans as possible and to give it the big one, trade insults and do a lot of posturing. It's lads, lads, lads, get the stone Island badge in, Inbetweeners on steroids and coke. 

This is a large part of what I saw.  Being near the away fans, singing the tractor song and trying to look hard to your mates shouting w——r.  I can’t see the rush to the bottom corner or the “limbs” thing going down too well to the club.

I’ve never really thought the original eastend was sorted out properly and found a home.  Idk how it resolves itself now.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, youwhat said:

I’ve never really thought the original eastend was sorted out properly and found a home.  Idk how it resolves itself now.

This tbh. It seems quite hard to reconcile, those who were in the East End in more modern times until 2014 were shunted around- once a lot of the redevelopment done it was Atyeo at the Lansdown end, Atyeo at the Dolman end then the Dolman/South Corner.

It will be difficult to find a solution thst everyone is happy with, I'm sure of that.

32 minutes ago, youwhat said:

This is a large part of what I saw.  Being near the away fans, singing the tractor song and trying to look hard to your mates shouting w——r.  I can’t see the rush to the bottom corner or the “limbs” thing going down too well to the club.

I find it hard to comprehend that others thought this was to create an atmosphere of support from the beginning. 

It was obvious what the intentions were. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Let's be honest here. 

Based on experiences up to Boxing Day our fans are incapable of simply supporting the team vocally. 

Not condoning or wanting violence but Saturday was so much better with an 'edge' to the atmosphere rather than the whole stadium sitting in silence

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

I find it hard to comprehend that others thought this was to create an atmosphere of support from the beginning. 

It was obvious what the intentions were. 

It can be both. The intention is to create an atmosphere, and that is easier to do if you are closer to opposition fans.

We visit Reading, Coventry, WBA, Cardiff etc with home singing sections right by us - why should Ashton Gate be any different?

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Based on experiences up to Boxing Day our fans are incapable of simply supporting the team vocally. 

Not condoning or wanting violence but Saturday was so much better with an 'edge' to the atmosphere rather than the whole stadium sitting in silence

Watford at home was decent no?

Having said that, was more exception than rule prior to Saturday.

The issue with S82 is the sound doesn't travel well. The stadium has not been designed to be a nosey atmospheric ground, which is a shame.

I do think having 2x singing sections, A Block and S82 is a good idea, spreads the noise and means more people in Dolman will also join in.

There's now the new family section of the Lansdown, as well as plenty of other blocks for people who despise singing to sit in.

A welcome addition, but needs to be done right. I hope the new CEO can play a major role in this.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It can be both. The intention is to create an atmosphere, and that is easier to do if you are closer to opposition fans.

We visit Reading, Coventry, WBA, Cardiff etc with home singing sections right by us - why should Ashton Gate be any different?

Couple of points.

1) Will the SAG, SGSA/Avon and Somerset go for it?

2) Even if they do approve and this is a matter of debate, what timeframe would this be looking at?

3) Season ticket holders unable to locate their seats will simply make this less likely.

Your solution seems like a relatively simple one, making it happen seems altogether more complex.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Couple of points.

1) Will the SAG, SGSA/Avon and Somerset go for it?

2) Even if they do approve and this is a matter of debate, what timeframe would this be looking at?

3) Season ticket holders unable to locate their seats will simply make tbis less likely.

Mr P - I genuinely admire the determination to shoehorn SAG into every post ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don’t think that’s a massive revelation really.  A bit of too and fro between home and away fans is needed for atmosphere.

15 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

15 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm not implying it won't create an ' atmosphere '... however...the main thrust is to be nearer the away fans, which is to create banter between the two. 

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Mr P - I genuinely admire the determination to shoehorn SAG into every post ?

Were I on commissiom it'd be a nice little side job PF! :laugh:

Just seems like the solutions being proposed may not be so feasible or easy in reality even if I do like the idea.

• Haha 1