IGNORED

‘A Block Ultras’

OliOTIB

1 minute ago, Magger1 said:

What a boring bastard you sound obviously never about in old days these were the toy for the boys but as I said not for the prawn sandwich brigade 

Mate...I've been following City since the 70s. 

Air horns have never been seen as something that enhance an atmosphere.

I've sat in stadiums where air horns were used all the time, Speedway and Moto X...it's just noise. 

Exactly why everyone hated the 2010 world cup in South Africa...with the vuvuzelas...inate white noise. 

It's brain dead, not boring.

An atmosphere is the crowd singing and chanting. 

Not a freaking air horn ????

• Like 13

1 minute ago, spudski said:

I've sat in stadiums where air horns were used all the time, Speedway and Moto X...it's just noise. 

Exactly why everyone hated the 2010 world cup in South Africa...with the vuvuzelas...inate white noise. 

Especially at football. Artificial noise and effects are just sterile. It's like watching American sports live - where the fans have to be led by the big screen or music telling them what to say and when. They do make a lot of noise, but thats all it is... noise. Not atmosphere. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BCFC Rich said:

Especially at football. Artificial noise and effects are just sterile. It's like watching American sports live - where the fans have to be led by the big screen or music telling them what to say and when. They do make a lot of noise, but thats all it is... noise. Not atmosphere. 

Exactly. Just inate annoying noise that actually kills natural atmosphere to build.

Thought A block was pretty... meh, today. Sat in B block, or 32, whatever it's called, and thought it was a lot of nothing (+ in Ribbers defence the tannoy is awful).

Only 27 myself but the 'kids' are crap imo, sing the first line of each song and then give up, too interested in blowing kisses to the away fans.

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
  • Haha 1

Just now, Marcus Aurelius said:

Thought A block was pretty... meh, today. Sat in B block, or 32, whatever it's called, and thought it was a lot of nothing.

Only 27 myself but the 'kids' are crap imo, sing the first line of each song and then give up, too interested in blowing kisses to the away fans.

Thought it was a bit better today in that it was louder so I could properly hear them from the Lansdown for the first time, but songs weren't as long/didn't stick compared to the S82 area who are on the whole doing a great job lately.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Thought A block was pretty... meh, today. Sat in B block, or 32, whatever it's called, and thought it was a lot of nothing (+ in Ribbers defence the tannoy is awful).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, IAmNick said:

Thought it was a bit better today in that it was louder so I could properly hear them from the Lansdown for the first time, but songs weren't as long/didn't stick compared to the S82 area who are on the whole doing a great job lately.

Oh wow, it must have been poor before then as today I thought was very mid.

13 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Fundamental problem, they have no staying power which means no one outside there area learns the song.

Sat in my lower Lansdown seat today I realised one of the problems with generating noise from the end Dolman blocks.

Nearly all the singing is aimed at the away fans meaning not much of the noise reaches beyond the half way line.

Im not telling people what to do but at one point today they were singing “Sam Bell, he’s one of our own” which I could only just make out because once again they were facing the Atyeo.

Now I understand if you’re singing “your not singing anymore “ you aim it at the away fans but I think Sam Bell himself would have benefited from the song about himself but as he was close to the south stand at the time, probably missed it.

Besides that, well done all for trying to create a good atmosphere 

Edited by ralphindevon

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Well great for you I’ve followed city since England won the World Cup and airborne were part of football atmosphere back then kid 

26 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

Well great for you I’ve followed city since England won the World Cup and airborne were part of football atmosphere back then kid 

I'm not sure what that has to do with it...sounds like ' my dad is bigger than your dad' mentality ??

You might as well bring back wooden rattles if you're going down that route ?

• Like 2

Observation. Or bit of a cautionary tale.

It is great and it helps the atmosphere but it MUST be done well and correctly.

I see that Sheffield United have had to restrict ticket sales on their Kop owing to overcrowding and or safety issues, possibly the SAG or SGSA.

This is from 3 months ago but any similarities? Still doesn't seem to have fully resolved itself afaik.

https://www.sufc.co.uk/news/2022/october/26/kop-issues/

In short any migration across sans tickets creates a problem, save perhaps for standing on the back rows.

I'm possibly stating some obvious points here but it is a cautionary tale from elsewhere.

I'm not against it but all factors need to be taken into account.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

What ever happened to throwing bog rolls on to the pitch, those were the days !

One of my life’s great achievements was ‘my’ toilet roll featured on MOTD vs Man Utd, and can remember a direct hit on the Hull goalkeeper from the Park End once. 

The toilet block at the entrance to the park was never a good place to have a c**p on a Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Continuation of my cautionary tale, saw this on my feed.

A thread but basically Sheffield United still having issues with SAG etc over persistent standing or overcrowding.

Think some restrictions in play. Great atmosphere excellent but people do need to be sensible too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous